Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting free bags on USairways as BA Gold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

The USairways website says that OW emeralds are given first 3 bags free. When checking in online yesterday with my BA Gold Card number in the booking, the system was trying to get me to pay for bags and it was a battle at the airport to get my two bags without paying on a domestic economy class itinery.

Anyone else had this problem?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:18 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

Ive had sumilar battles over priority seating for free as a BA gold. From experience pointing out that on AA this is how it works generally yields "we are two seperate airlines, sir". Pointing out they all now wear AA lanyards also does not help the situation. Hopefully the fight ends soon!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'll have this problem when I fly domestic with US Air next month.

Surprised and confused (as I don't know their policies) that I'll have to pay for baggage.

But if I show my BAEC Bronze/OW Ruby card, in theory I get that 1st bag free at check-in desk? (Does the free bag only count for international flights?)

Will I also face an upheaval from Check-In staff?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by sjharte
The USairways website says that OW emeralds are given first 3 bags free. When checking in online yesterday with my BA Gold Card number in the booking, the system was trying to get me to pay for bags and it was a battle at the airport to get my two bags without paying on a domestic economy class itinery.

The last time I experienced an issue with free bags based on BAEC status on US Airways was autumn of 2013 and that was in the early days of the merger. Since then I've had no problems at all and I've flown several sectors with them in the last few months.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

I've flown 14 US flights as a BA gold this year, including yesterday, and I've had no issues with the free baggage allowance.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:52 am
Original Poster

could the problem have been that I was flying on a BA redemption?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
could the problem have been that I was flying on a BA redemption?
It shouldn't matter. It's not the ticket type that's important it's your BA status which is the same regardless of ticket type.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:22 am

actually it does seem to have to do with redemptions in my experience. the status doesn't show up on avios bookings. if the number is manually reentered by the agent
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by travisw
actually it does seem to have to do with redemptions in my experience. the status doesn't show up on avios bookings. if the number is manually reentered by the agent
Yes, because Avios bookings are on 125 ticket stock and not all details go over to US. It is then compounded by still being fairly new to oneworld, plus the different policies that Star Alliance had in this area. Add in the low cost heritage of US Airways then I can see the potential for problems. I've had a few PMs about this too. Personally I would try to have the relevant documentation to hand and that is to be found here:

http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/trave...s/default.html

As you will see, this US page as linked is to be commended since it is crystal clear. If necessary, and you are getting into a fight then pay up, make a note of the agent's name and put in for a refund. US will pay up (and may top up) for such refunds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.