Wiki Posts
Search

£1000 less to Travel business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, Best Western Diamond, Skywards, Nectar
£1000 less to Travel business

…. by adding another leg. Im new to the matrix and was playing around with a few flights to Las Vegas in Business whilst trying to get a few TPs.
Im confused to the fact that by flying from Amsterdam to Las Vegas in a mixture of business and first (AMS LHR JFK PHX LAS PHX JFX LHR AMS) is actually £1000 less than trying to do this direct from LHR
Given Im new to this lark, can someone please explain how/why this is cheaper and whats to stop me from not actually flying the AMS leg?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:27 am

Angry

Air Passenger Duty! Oh, that's on the outward leg. Silly me.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It is known as "ex-eu". There are many reasons why it is cheaper, primarily because it is competing in a different market as a one-stop option against direct services on rival alliance carriers.

From LHR you will generally find one-stop options on AF/KLM/LH/etc are cheaper than direct BA flights.

If you skip the first leg the remaining segments will be cancelled. You can't just book it and show up at LHR.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:36 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

If you're flying business and in pursuit of tier points, have you considered flying LCY-JFK?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kentishtraveller
whats to stop me from not actually flying the AMS leg?
If you do not fly AMS to LHR, you entire ticket gets cancelled as a no show. No refunds and no rebooking when you try to board from LHR.

You can choose not to fly the fly the final leg (i.e. LHR-AMS). However, you will have issues trying to get to staff in JFK labelling your checked luggage to LHR instead of AMS. The way around this is to book LGW-AMS or LCY-AMS since your bags must be returned to you at LHR so that you can transfer airports. Alternatively, you LHR-AMS flight must be on the following day after you arrive at LHR (i.e. not a same day connection).

You may get away with this practice of missing the last leg as a once off once but BA reserves the right the audit your account which may result in the removal of all BA Miles and Tier Points from your BAEC account. This has been previously reported on this forum.

Flying from and returning to AMS is a good deal but do not take advantage of the system and fly all segments on the ticket. Nothing in life is free.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
With due respect, there a re loads and loads (as in, I would estimate, over a hundred) of existing threads on this (how come prices are so different, is it fair or not, do other airlines do the same, how come, what happens if you miss your first flight, is it fair or not, what happens if you want to miss the last leg of your trip, is it fair or not, etc), which might both provide helpful answers to your question and helpful tips about questions you have not even thought about as yet but might occur to you later. just search for "ex-Eu" or some similar key words.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kentishtraveller
Given Im new to this lark, can someone please explain how/why this is cheaper and whats to stop me from not actually flying the AMS leg?
If you read some of the many existing threads on how to do this, you'll be much enlightened.

Try these:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-guide.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tinations.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...x-eu-good.html

And click here and then click "Search Now" for lots more advice.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In addition to the ordinary xEU issues, OP also asks why it is cheaper to fly a 4-segment itinerary in each direction rather than non-stop. That question ought to answer itself for anybody who has limited time.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flight405
Air Passenger Duty! Oh, that's on the outward leg. Silly me.
From April next year APD at most is going to be £142. If the only saving doing an exEU was APD few would bother since the cost saving is marginal once you have factored in extra positioning flights and possibly a hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andset1191
If you're flying business and in pursuit of tier points, have you considered flying LCY-JFK?
Yes… given I fly out of LCY every week
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
With due respect, there a re loads and loads (as in, I would estimate, over a hundred) of existing threads on this (how come prices are so different, is it fair or not, do other airlines do the same, how come, what happens if you miss your first flight, is it fair or not, what happens if you want to miss the last leg of your trip, is it fair or not, etc), which might both provide helpful answers to your question and helpful tips about questions you have not even thought about as yet but might occur to you later. just search for "ex-Eu" or some similar key words.
Apologies for my somewhat lazy post it is of course sunday but then that isn't really a good enough excuse. Add my post to the list of thousands.
Appreciate everyones help ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.