Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I connect iPod 5g to video screen in New First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:31 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen

The video screen in New First has an USB output and what appears to be a single RCA video input.

My iPod Touch 5th generation has the newer lightning connector.

Now Apple offers the older composite AV cable - and there are dozens of clones on eBay and Amazon - that breaks out the older 30-pin connector into RCA outputs.

However I can see no such solution for the newer Lightning devices. I guess a possibility is to chain an Apple Lightning to 30 pin converter to the older Apple composite AV cable - but I have absolutely no idea if this would work for video.

So - am I right in assuming that it is not possible to output video from newer Apple devices with the lightning connector the the NF video screen?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can only answer this partially: you will definitely need RCA for video and sound playback on the new IFEs. You can use USB for charging and for photo gallery use, but that's it. I think we will have to accept that this situation will persist for many years, so without RCA you basically cannot use the video / sound playback.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:47 am

It should work by chaining an adapter with the lightning to 30 pin converter, but be careful of cheap non-apple copies of the converter which often (always?) do not work for audio. I have not tried the video, but I use an adapter for my 30 pin BlackBox noise-cancelling headphones and they work fine with my iPhone 5, iPad mini and 5th Gen iPod touch.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:20 am

You could buy a Lightning-to-VGA adaptor and then buy a VGA-to-RCA split cable. Do remember that these solutions won't work with iTunes content, though. You'd also still be reliant on the iPod for audio - so you'd have to have quite the mess of cables around and about the place.

Up to you if that's worth it...
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
And the RCA video input only allows poor resolution video. Better either find something on the system you like and watch that or bring your own Tablet or iPad.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:37 am
pb3
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Thanks to all for the replies.

I agree that it really does not seen worth the trouble and expense.

The USB output charges my iPod nicely though
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
As an aside, as further proof of RIM's crappiness - a blackberry plugged into the NF videoscreen's USB socket will prevent the whole system booting up.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
As an aside, as further proof of RIM's crappiness - a blackberry plugged into the NF videoscreen's USB socket will prevent the whole system booting up.
Great! 20,000 Avios for this; bring it on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.