Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Have I been randomly upgraded or is this a bug?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have I been randomly upgraded or is this a bug?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:41 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by dilpat84
Out of interest: What would happen if I turned up to the airport and they couldn't check me in as no ticket had been issued? Would I be forced to wait for the next available flight whilst they figured out what went wrong? Or would they be able to resolve it relatively quickly there and then? Given that the error wasn't mine, presumably I wouldn't be left out on the cold with no flight whatsoever?
They would need to reinstate your original ticket in WTP. If you turned up just before checkin closed you may be forced to take the next flight. I'm not quite sure how long it would take, but I wouldn't want to try it if only because you would likely be stuck with the last remaining WTP seat.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Out of interest: What would happen if I turned up to the airport and they couldn't check me in as no ticket had been issued? Would I be forced to wait for the next available flight whilst they figured out what went wrong? Or would they be able to resolve it relatively quickly there and then? Given that the error wasn't mine, presumably I wouldn't be left out on the cold with no flight whatsoever?
I doubt that you would have been left with no flight! However, much would have depended on how much time you had. IME, ticketing can sort things out pretty quickly when needed, but even airport staff sometimes have trouble getting through to speak to someone urgently. If you'd run out of time to get the flight you were supposed to be on, you might have had to wait for the next one. But the booking record should have showed that the error was on BA's side and needed to be fixed by BA.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for all the help, folks!

Typically, the BA call centre is overwhelmed and is hanging up on people before they even get through. I'm going to attempt to fix this via Twitter which, given this was how I got into this mess, I'm reticent to do!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Annnnnnd now I have 3 flights. Two WT+ to Newark on the same date, and the original return in CW.

Come on, BA. Get your act together. Sigh.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Take both of them, all you'll need it some simple bending of the laws of physics.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Wait, WT+ plus WT+ = CW, right?

Honestly, though. What a farce. Imagine if I'd turned up on the day of the flight only to be told I had no ticket. They've managed to mess up my booking after an enquiry, and then after contacting them to correct it, they managed to half correct it...and add an extra flight to my itinerary.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: Executive Club Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Gold
Hello Dilpat84!

With regards to not having a ticket if BA have taken your money and accepted your booking it's their problem, I'm sure on your booking email the status is "confirmed". Previously when I've had outbounds cancelled by BA and been put on an alternative airline when I've arrived at the airport to come back home my booking has been missing (BA automatically cancels the return if you do not take the outbound). The check in agent does some furious typing, makes some phone calls, questions if I cancelled the booking, looks confused, does some more typing, speaks to someone else, it gets fixed I get a boarding pass and get on the flight in the class I booked.

My one tip is turn up at the airport expecting WT+, chances are British Airways will put you in the class you paid for. If you happen to get put in Club World you're extremely lucky. I've flown WT+ consistently for a while now and only got upgraded once on an oversold flight from Mumbai.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:46 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk1234
I'm sure on your booking email the status is "confirmed".
A booking showing as 'Confirmed' does not mean much, and is not sufficient to allow you to fly. Yes the issue was caused by BA through no fault of the OP (other than using twitter to get an upgrade quote!) but it still needs to be rectified before the flight.

The problem with just trying to fix this at the airport is that the OP will not have been able to do OLCI to select a seat or select a seat prior, so may be left with a middle seat.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Poster

So...time to be cheeky:

Given that BA messed up not once, but twice, and their mistakes could have led to me turning up to the airport to find no ticket, would it be pushing the boundaries to ask them to put SFU on my booking as a gesture of goodwill? I don't actually know if that's possible to do this far out from a flight, and I know having SFU on your booking doesn't guarantee anything...but is it worth a shot?

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those who agrees that if you want to fly CW, you should be prepared to pay for it, but at the same time BA shouldn't be dealing with customer enquires on Twitter if they're going to end up mistakenly upgrading people and then adding extra flights to their itinerary willy nilly. It's been a bit of a faff to sort out given that their call centre keeps cutting me off, so I do sort of feel a bit miffed with a 'Sorry about that. Bye.'
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:15 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

would it be pushing the boundaries to ask them to put SFU on my booking as a gesture of goodwill? I don't actually know if that's possible to do this far out from a flight, and I know having SFU on your booking doesn't guarantee anything...but is it worth a shot?
It won't do anything other than using up more of your own time trying to get the agent to add it to your booking. See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-upgrade.html
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:23 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by jk1234
Hello Dilpat84!

With regards to not having a ticket if BA have taken your money and accepted your booking it's their problem, I'm sure on your booking email the status is "confirmed". Previously when I've had outbounds cancelled by BA and been put on an alternative airline when I've arrived at the airport to come back home my booking has been missing (BA automatically cancels the return if you do not take the outbound). The check in agent does some furious typing, makes some phone calls, questions if I cancelled the booking, looks confused, does some more typing, speaks to someone else, it gets fixed I get a boarding pass and get on the flight in the class I booked.

My one tip is turn up at the airport expecting WT+, chances are British Airways will put you in the class you paid for. If you happen to get put in Club World you're extremely lucky. I've flown WT+ consistently for a while now and only got upgraded once on an oversold flight from Mumbai.
This is a good point. I had a similar issue. Outbound was sorted out at the airport, however I ended up with two bookings and was therefore marked as a no show and then cancelled return. I did not discover this until arriving at the airport - it took ages to sort out.

My advice. Once you have sorted the mess of your outbound, double check your return is ok.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Sigh...two weeks after BA stuffed up and my ticket is yet to be reissued, meaning I can't select my seats despite my flight only being a week away.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I would direct message BA again now with Twitter and tell them that you can't select seats at T-7 as you should be able to do as Bronze.

After this, you may still need to contact them at T-24 as you still might not be able to OLCI.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Oh I have already, every few days since it happened. They said that they can't speed up the ticket re-issue as newly-changed bookings that are flying out sooner take priority.

I've written BAEC a strongly worded letter. No doubt I'll get a response that's effectively: 'Oh. Sorry about that.'
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It won't help much with the answer, but this won't have anything to do with it. If you're currently Bronze, that governs your seat pre-allocation entitlement for all sectors of all reservations even if you will change status at some stage in the future.

One thing to have a look at is this: go to classic.checkmytrip.com and call up your booking. See whether the cabin for each sector is said to be "business". Then click the e-ticket receipt tab and have a look at the fare basis for each sector. Does the outbound start with the letter T and the inbound with the letter I?
Where abouts on the classic checkmytrip page is the e-ticket receipt tab as I have never been able to see it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.