Search

EX-EU flights and that last leg

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor Platinum, Marco Polo Gold
EX-EU flights and that last leg

Hi All,

There has been much comment on here regarding dropping the last leg of an EX-EU flight. From what I understand on here is that doing so is fine regarding you don’t make a regular habit out of it.

The issue I want to query is how regular is regular. I will shortly be in a position where I will have done so 3 times in 1 calendar year. Is this likely to cause a problem, or are BA after much more frequent ‘droppers’?

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ad00am
Hi All,

There has been much comment on here regarding dropping the last leg of an EX-EU flight. From what I understand on here is that doing so is fine regarding you don’t make a regular habit out of it.

The issue I want to query is how regular is regular. I will shortly be in a position where I will have done so 3 times in 1 calendar year. Is this likely to cause a problem, or are BA after much more frequent ‘droppers’?

Thanks
That would certainly sound a bit too regular for my tastes. I guess no one has any hard figures, but my own suggestion would be no more than once a year.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ad00am
I will shortly be in a position where I will have done so 3 times in 1 calendar year.
120 TPs thrown away?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Nobody knows, but that would make me uncomfortable.

I've done it twice, and both times were enforced (first time I couldn't get a second visa for a certain old origination country, and second time I had to fly elsewhere for work rather than take the final leg - there wasn't time to finish the itinerary and come back).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
I would personally look at defining "regular" as a % of the ex-EU trips you've made rather than a simple count.

If you've done 10 in the year and dropped three then that wouldn't concern me too much as plans change etc..

If you've done three and dropped three I think it's starting to look more like something that was planned from the outset....

For example, I'm based in Ireland and there have been occasions where I have dropped the last sector to stay on a few days in London due to changed plans. Even though I've probably done this 4/5 times no-one has ever asked me about it - but then it's maybe only 10-15% of my trips.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
All these FT-invented "issues" around dropping the last segment on an ex-EU ticket are hilarious.

Can anyone provide evidence that BA ever took action against someone who dropped the last segment of an ex-EU ticket?

Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mario
All these FT-invented "issues" around dropping the last segment on an ex-EU ticket are hilarious.

Can anyone provide evidence that BA ever took action against someone who dropped the last segment of an ex-EU ticket?

http://www.businesstraveller.com/ask...points-penalty

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...unt-audit.html
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:03 am

It is not stated anywhere that the airline was BA.

This had absolutely nothing to do with ex-EU. As per post #335, the OP was redeeming a high volume of Avios and this triggered an audit. BTW, all points were restored to the OP's account.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC

+1 ^

These discussions pop up once a month and are hilarious.

I drop my final leg regularly. By regularly I mean on average once a month. And have been doing so for the past 4+ years. No audit. No BA Gestapo on my doorstep.

Fundamentally dropping an ex EU leg is no different in English law to buying a MacDonalds meal deal instead of a burger and fries separately. The package deal is cheaper than the individual items purchased separately and I buy the package having no intention of drinking my soda. MacDonalds have no cause of action by which to pursue me for the difference in cost between my meal deal and the separate items if I decide not to consume the soda.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
MacDonalds have no cause of action by which to pursue me for the difference in cost between my meal deal and the separate items if I decide not to consume the soda.
But if MacDonalds had a points loyalty scheme, they would be perfectly within their rights to zero your points and throw you out of the scheme, if they wanted.

Also, try using that argument if you ever want to drop the FIRST leg of an itinerary...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by typical
But if MacDonalds had a points loyalty scheme, they would be perfectly within their rights to zero your points and throw you out of the scheme, if they wanted.

Also, try using that argument if you ever want to drop the FIRST leg of an itinerary...
I am not trying to start an argument if BA could do this and how they could enforce it. I just wanted to get some evidence that this has ever happened.

There's a lot of scaremongering on FT with no real evidence that I've seen so far that someone was targeted by BA for this practice.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It is not stated anywhere that the airline was BA.
But if an unnamed European airline can do this - why can't BA? The T&Cs we all agreed to on joining the programme gives them the right to do so.

This had absolutely nothing to do with ex-EU. As per post #335, the OP was redeeming a high volume of Avios and this triggered an audit. BTW, all points were restored to the OP's account.
There are many tens of other threads, down the years, detailing the loss of Avios or the audit of an account although the OP always reports in the first post that nothing wrong or unusual was done by them. I wouldn't like to assume that none were triggered by habitual last-leg dumping.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There's a lot of scaremongering on FT with no real evidence that I've seen so far that someone was targeted by BA for this practice.
Given that it is known that BA read FT perhaps they'll start doing so.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
But if an unnamed European airline can do this - why can't BA? The T&Cs we all agreed to on joining the programme gives them the right to do so.

There are many tens of other threads, down the years, detailing the loss of Avios or the audit of an account although the OP always reports in the first post that nothing wrong or unusual was done by them. I wouldn't like to assume that none were triggered by habitual last-leg dumping.
In the case pointed out earlier, the OP came back and explained in post #335 why his account had been audited. I am aware of people posting here about accounts being audited, but is there a single thread that states "yes, my account was closed/audited because I dropped the last ex-EU leg".

I'm not asking for much. Just one single thread/article/blog entry.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by matthandy
Given that it is known that BA read FT perhaps they'll start doing so.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
Oh please. BA can't even get their IT right to send their members proper marketing communications (such as sending to a GGL with millions of Avios an email explaining how he can now use them to book a ET ticket to Paris or excitingly telling me to start getting ready for my flight t in March 2015).

Am I supposed to believe that they would now spend a fortune to get their auditing software right to catch the evil ex-EU travellers? And then what? Pursue this in court? Or close their Avios accounts (and in the process lose a customer that was nonetheless spending money)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.