Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA from BHX?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Must have been 1994/1995, I remember flying in a 757 from BHX to YYZ via JFK. My dad knew someone in BA Ops so we had a op-up to Business (back then it was cradle seats) and seats in the cockpit for landing at both JFK and YYZ. Those were the days...

Robin
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:58 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
BA at BHX used to work in the days when there were few direct flights from the more `remote' airports (EDI, GLA, BFS) to Europe. Then it made sense to hub through either BHX or MAN allowing for regular flights (With a morning and evening peak). Unfortunately with LCC offering direct flights the need for these secondary hubs went. This was very unfortunate as they did offer the chance of day trips to Europe. 7 a.m. flight to BHX change planes and 9 a.m.flight to Europe arrive for lunch and afternoon meeting. Reverse at 6 p.m..

Given the small size of BHX and MAN it was much easier to change planes than at LHR. With direct flights by LCC from the more `remote' airports there was just not the demand to keep the number of flights from BHX and MAN needed to work a hub model.

Joke at least for Northern Ireland was that the LCC direct flights were so few that most trips to Europe meant at least one if not two nights away even for a short meeting.

Using LHR as a hub is very time consuming
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
BA at one stage had its own terminal at BHX. With a large operation including brymon ERJ and DH8 aircraft.

cs
I remember going to BHX and paying 10p to get into the viewing gallery back in the late 80's early 90's. All I remember were BA 1-11's in grey livery. I used to pray for fog in London so the occasional wide body would be forced to land at BHX. I do also remember Concorde flying in bringing the US Ryder cup team in either 1989 or 1993 and standing under it as it landed. What a sight and sound.
Maybe a bit OT but the mention of BHX brought back some memories
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Good information here guys. I do think that BA is aiming itself towards the LCC base, it has been said that HBOs are aimed to show a headline fare, isn't that exactly what the LCCs are doing anyway?>

Obviosuly BA is a business but the other carriers must be making profit for BHX to seemingly expand year after year.

I understand that proximity to LHR is a problem but what about direct flight rather than as a hub to LHR?

Also I cant see how southerners don't see LHR as a nightmare to get to! Suppose none of them have ever come through BHX with its excellent train service.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:29 pm

BA from BHX?

Many memories for me of both the Eurohub and also the direct flights from BHX - ORD (on AA) which were stopped after 9/11 (I flew back to the UK in the 18th Sept and had to fly BA up to GLA to connect on the 25th as the flight was cancelled and never reinstated). I remember talking with the taxi drivers about how that 1 flight cancellation had hit their business...

Nov 2010 BHX was full of BA planes due to weather diversions. Was great to see them lined up....

Would love a direct flight to the States from here (on BA or AA)....
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Good information here guys. I do think that BA is aiming itself towards the LCC base, it has been said that HBOs are aimed to show a headline fare, isn't that exactly what the LCCs are doing anyway?
But also the LCCs are aiming upwards towards the "premium" passengers who value a nicer experience. It looks to me like there will be a convergence in the middle at some point in the next decade or two.

I understand that proximity to LHR is a problem but what about direct flight rather than as a hub to LHR?
What's the business case for that? I mean, except that you would like a direct flight from BHX to your usual business trip destinations with BA branding on the side.

BA really doesn't know how to do direct flights between non-hub airports. They have proved it again and again. If I were an investor I would be very nervous to hear them talking about it. They are doing well with their hub-and-spoke strategy. They have some challenges coming up with low cost longhaul competitors and that is where their attention should be.

Also I cant see how southerners don't see LHR as a nightmare to get to! Suppose none of them have ever come through BHX with its excellent train service.
It's very easy, you get in the taxi and say "Heathrow terminal 5 please"
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by paulwuk
If BA wanted to start more regional flights, I'd vote for an early morning/late evening BRU flight from MAN

BA404/389 night stops in BRU, landing at 2205 and leaving 0645. A 2300 flight from BRU, arriving at MAN at 2330, then a 0430 from flight MAN arriving BRU at 0600 would be handy. (OK, ideally that 0430 flight would be 0600). Every time I've flown SN has been full, and the fares are pretty high compared with say LHR-BRU (which has to compete with SN AND .
Slightly OT but I don't get BA and BRU. The last flight back from BRU is at someing like 7.30pm which is earlier than the last Eurostar and just ridiculous. There must be plenty of demand for a later flight back to London - I can't be the only one who'd prefer to fly than to train it.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Interesting discussion...

I had to get to BHX two weeks ago and immediately thought of booking with BA as that is carrier of choice to the UK, but to my surprise found that the only sensible way of getting to BHX in *A or OW would be SAS via Copenhagen. (Or LH group via LH hub)

It is a nightmare trying to get LHR-Birmingham or MAN-Birmingham when I have a 2.5 hr flight from LHR that I am intending to do over the day.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:41 pm

See post above.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Even leaving aside the LCC competition, it's a lot more cost-effective for multiple foreign carriers to have BHX (or any other regional airport) as a spoke feeding traffic to their hub, rather than setting up another hub.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by chris1979
Slightly OT but I don't get BA and BRU. The last flight back from BRU is at someing like 7.30pm which is earlier than the last Eurostar and just ridiculous. There must be plenty of demand for a later flight back to London - I can't be the only one who'd prefer to fly than to train it.
7.30 is probably the latest departure time to catch the last LHR bank of departures.

I would imagine there's little demand for a later flight from point-to-point outside of a west London/Thames Valley. City centre-city centre flying is 90mins+longer and a lot more painful. I don't know anyone London based (who doesn't live near Heathrow) who flies to CDG or BRU.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
But also the LCCs are aiming upwards towards the "premium" passengers who value a nicer experience. It looks to me like there will be a convergence in the middle at some point in the next decade or two.

What's the business case for that? I mean, except that you would like a direct flight from BHX to your usual business trip destinations with BA branding on the side.

BA really doesn't know how to do direct flights between non-hub airports. They have proved it again and again. If I were an investor I would be very nervous to hear them talking about it. They are doing well with their hub-and-spoke strategy. They have some challenges coming up with low cost longhaul competitors and that is where their attention should be.

It's very easy, you get in the taxi and say "Heathrow terminal 5 please"
That should be a good business reason in itself! Lol

No I just see that there is expansion year after year with international destinations being added. And very selfishly I want to add tier points and avios to my balance.

I guesstimate that it is around half LCC half flag carriers with many of hem direct destinations.

You can fly direct from BHX to US.

In terms of getting their. It is so much of a hassle. I have used taxis but the most cost efficient and time efficient way seems to actually be the national express coach. Still can't believe there is no direct train link via west coast main Line.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
That should be a good business reason in itself! Lol

No I just see that there is expansion year after year with international destinations being added. And very selfishly I want to add tier points and avios to my balance.

I guesstimate that it is around half LCC half flag carriers with many of hem direct destinations.

You can fly direct from BHX to US.

In terms of getting their. It is so much of a hassle. I have used taxis but the most cost efficient and time efficient way seems to actually be the national express coach. Still can't believe there is no direct train link via west coast main Line.
While I can see the LCCs being point to point, surely the European legacy operators are providing feeders into their hubs far more than point-to-points? Same too for long haul I imagine.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I would imagine there's little demand for a later flight from point-to-point outside of a west London/Thames Valley. City centre-city centre flying is 90mins+longer and a lot more painful. I don't know anyone London based (who doesn't live near Heathrow) who flies to CDG or BRU.
"Waves and coughs"

I fly to CDG and ORY from LHR and use the eurostar (every other w-end in theory) - keeps the TPs topped up and I like the change!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by dnajockey
"Waves and coughs"

I fly to CDG and ORY from LHR and use the eurostar (every other w-end in theory) - keeps the TPs topped up and I like the change!
Your profile says you live in West London. It's far easier to get to Heathrow (even T5) from Southall or Ealing than it is to get to St Pancras. "Check in" times for eurostar are 5 minute less than T5, so no real bonus there. Eurostar insists on going through pointless security, so no bonus there.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by dnajockey
"Waves and coughs"

"Keeping the TPs topped up" is a niche interest that most likely doesn't sustain a business model.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.