Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to Add Pulled Pork Sandwich to First-Class Menu

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to Add Pulled Pork Sandwich to First-Class Menu

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
You watch: very short time until someone complains about having to be around pork and BA will pull it.
Good subtle joke ^
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
You watch: very short time until someone complains about having to be around pork and BA will pull it.
^
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:01 am

The Boeing 797 will have a smoker in the galley. Meat will be put in on a plane, sometime on the flight prior to which it will be served- depending on previous flight length.

In all seriousness, I don't expect it's well executed. However, if it is, great. FIRST or not.
Proper, slow cooked pork requires skill and is delicious when done correctly.
The "white trash" implications are from ignorance. I imagine the notion of a burger making an an appearance, caused similar offence to a previous generation of flyers

If it's dry and grim, that speak to execution (and conceptualization) and not the food, itself, in the abstract
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Nobody has yet mentioned the attempt at reproducing the BA Speedmarque in the original photo!

Dave
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by thadocta
Nobody has yet mentioned the attempt at reproducing the BA Speedmarque in the original photo!

Dave
Good spot that man!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Dave
I had to scroll up...well-spotted!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rapopoda
Proper, slow cooked pork requires skill and is delicious when done correctly.
The "white trash" implications are from ignorance. I imagine the notion of a burger making an an appearance, caused similar offence to a previous generation of flyers.
Please forgive any 'class-related' allusion I might have introduced. I'm as big a fan of a Po'boy sandwich as the next man, and believe me I stay in hotels and use neighbourhood bars in the US that would make most of the 'champagne set' here wince ... http://www.alleycatalexandria.com/menu.html

I just don't see this as a good execution of a Pulled Pork sandwich, based on visual evidence - happy to be proved wrong. And I am surprised to see it, and its distinctive odour, offered in the multi-ethnic environment of BA F.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:26 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by paul4040
Good spot that man!
Danke. Funny, I fly BA about every three or four years, but I spotted it straight away.

Perhaps the regular BA travellers thought it was so obvious it didn't need a comment!

Dave
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
As usual it appears BA can do no right. Why not actually try the dish before knocking it?

I'm looking forward to trying it, another option if a full meal is not what is needed.
Well we were also told to try before knocking the new CE seating

I do agree in theory though. If it tastes good and works well I'd like to see it on the menu. Basic and tasty beats trying to badly copy a top class restaurant.

Although the chefs must be very slow if it took them that long to develop it. I'm currently on my second year trying to perfect beans on toast, I'm hoping I'll crack it for the 2014 summer timetable.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:33 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by layz
Although the chefs must be very slow if it took them that long to develop it. I'm currently on my second year trying to perfect beans on toast, I'm hoping I'll crack it for the 2014 summer timetable.
Don't forget that what "works well on the ground in a kitchen" doesn't necessarily translate into "what works well into partial preparation on the ground, stored in a state that cabin crew can then reconsitute into an inflight meal, able to be served in an aircraft cabin which is dehumidified, with not much space, and with not much in the way of galley resources".

Totally different environment that will be working with in the air.

Dave
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
Good spot that man!
+1 ^
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
As usual it appears BA can do no right. Why not actually try the dish before knocking it?

I'm looking forward to trying it, another option if a full meal is not what is needed.
Why is I that I have the feeling that some senior people on FT would even defend BA if they actually would serve dog food in First?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:53 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Well as a good old northerner I'm looking forward to trying it in two weeks time with a glass of bitter. I'll leave the Champagne for you southerners
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Co-incidence? I think not... Asda in first...
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:02 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Spotted it at once, honest guv, having been conditioned by the ketchup in the burger photos, but took too long looking up "speedmarque".

It's not a great idea for several reasons, not least the number of people who don't eat pork, and it's certainly not a great idea for F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.