Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios not showing certain JAL routes as valid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K

Hi I'm looking into booking a flight from Haneda to either Miyako or Ishigaki in the Okinawa island and am getting a message that neither BA or it's partners fly this route. Both of these are operated by Japan Transocean Air for JAL, which is a one world affiliated member so these should be available.

Anyone ever run into this type of situation and find a solution?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Call BAEC. There are many airports, which are not recognized by the booking engine, mainly in South America.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:03 am

BAEC online booking also won't price some (valid) connections... Langkawi-KUL-BKK, for example. You need to call if you want them on one ticket, or book the two segments separately.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
I flew to Ishigaki last year - and from memory I think part of it was JAL, then connecting to a JTA flight. For part of it I think I was able to use the Yokoso fare: https://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/ It can really be worth checking out if you're doing any travelling. I did book directly through JAL, but they were happy to take my BA Exec Card number.

Also, have a look at the JAL Japan website - you can often get some good deals in advance.

Have fun in Ishigaki - I spent several nice days there chilling out last year!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:37 pm

You can go to Ishigaki either directly or connecting via Naha using the Yokoso Japan fare which may well be better value than using avios. You might be able to arrange a next-day connection to allow you to see a bit of Naha on the way.

I recommend Ishigaki above Miyako, but both are nice. If you do go to Ishigaki, it's worth taking a ferry over to Iriomote and enjoying a river cruise into the jungle. (The north port seemed more interesting to me.)
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eternity000
Hi I'm looking into booking a flight from Haneda to either Miyako or Ishigaki in the Okinawa island and am getting a message that neither BA or it's partners fly this route. Both of these are operated by Japan Transocean Air for JAL, which is a one world affiliated member so these should be available.

Anyone ever run into this type of situation and find a solution?
Yes. Try calling, and if they stick you with the telephone charge mention that the website is broken.

Also remember that F and J redemptions are not available on domestic JL flights, except in connection with an international flight. However, you can waitlist and pay a small supplement for it on the day.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Simonmiller
I flew to Ishigaki last year - and from memory I think part of it was JAL, then connecting to a JTA flight. For part of it I think I was able to use the Yokoso fare: https://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/ It can really be worth checking out if you're doing any travelling. I did book directly through JAL, but they were happy to take my BA Exec Card number.

Also, have a look at the JAL Japan website - you can often get some good deals in advance.

Have fun in Ishigaki - I spent several nice days there chilling out last year!
Ishigaki is quite idyllic-we have just returned from there to a wet and cold uk. If you do end up paying cash, make sure you upgrade to the JAL "J" class. It only costs a small amount more but does earn 40 tp. Don't expect any more than a little more leg room and a slightly more comfy seat. We actually ended up going via Naha(Okinawa) and stopped off for a couple of days on the way back.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by kipperman
Ishigaki is quite idyllic-we have just returned from there to a wet and cold uk. If you do end up paying cash, make sure you upgrade to the JAL "J" class. It only costs a small amount more but does earn 40 tp. Don't expect any more than a little more leg room and a slightly more comfy seat. We actually ended up going via Naha(Okinawa) and stopped off for a couple of days on the way back.
Good tip thanks, am doing lots of JAL flights in October and didn't know about the Class J tier points!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Hi,

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I am really struggling to get an EC agent who says they can book an NU coded flight on JTA. Im looking at Haneda to Ishigaki, and unfortunately it falls completely within the March blackout dates for the Yokoso pass.

Does anyone know how to explain to an EC agent what they need to do to be able to book an NU coded flight?

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by inamenas
Hi,

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I am really struggling to get an EC agent who says they can book an NU coded flight on JTA. Im looking at Haneda to Ishigaki, and unfortunately it falls completely within the March blackout dates for the Yokoso pass.

Does anyone know how to explain to an EC agent what they need to do to be able to book an NU coded flight?

Thanks
I booked a KIX to ISG (return) flight on Avios in early 2014, flew September 2014, so it is definitely possible. It was on JTA.

If I remember correctly, I had to phone to get this done. It was definitely a JL coded flight (I checked my records), so I'm not much help for NU codes, I'm afraid.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:58 am

I looked into this when booking flights to Miyako (which is lovely and highly recommended). I dug up some old threads and FTers were saying for some reason it was easier to book Ishigaki and Miyako through the US call center where agents were familiar with Japan Transocean - in any case, a call was required (and, in some cases, HUACA). I ended up booking a Sakitoku fare which was an excellent value - including the upgrade to "J" for GBP 19, which I think meant it was an 80 TPs route (it's a really long flight!).
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by mec72
including the upgrade to "J" for GBP 19, which I think meant it was an 80 TPs route (it's a really long flight!).
Only specific BA and AY short-haul routes get 80TPs, other routes and airlines are either 40 or 140.

Also you won't get any TPs if you upgrade an avios JL flight - IMO not worth it for anything under 90 minutes no matter how cheap it is
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Only specific BA and AY short-haul routes get 80TPs, other routes and airlines are either 40 or 140.
Yup, you're right - I checked it and it's 40 (MIYAKO - TOKYO HANEDA (J/I)
NU22 (Operated by: JAPAN AIRLINES INTL CO LIMITED) 40 1,138)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, short haul + is only exUK and only BA/AY routes. Other than that all flights in J are

40 TP up to 2000 miles
140 TP from 2000 miles to 6000 miles
160 TP form 6000 miles
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was this the at-check-in upgrade or were you always confirmed in J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.