Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC focussed trip reports.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
If the approach is open to debate then I'd like to cast another vote in the direction of moving them when they've reached their natural conclusion.
changing the rules of FT is for talkboard iirc
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by matthandy

Honestly, it was the worst day that I've ever had as a moderator. I don't believe that many of you can appreciate the amount of stress that was caused because of this issue and the amount of work (volunteer) that I had do to bring things back around. Not withstanding the fact that I was actually supposed to be doing my job at the time too..
I've heard similar comments from other Mods so it does seem to have an impact on their life's.

Which makes me think that if you lead such a busy life then moderating a Flyertalk forum is probably not a good idea if it causes such stress. Seems an ideal role for someone who has plenty of time on their hands which most Mods on here don't seem to have.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
BAEC focussed trip reports.

The Trip Reports forum is truly great. If you don't visit it, as others have said - it's your loss.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed. maybe it should.

however the issue isn't about an old thread that may be in the wrong place
Let's not change the issue here. This is what you posted in its entirety:

FT has been set up such that different topics have different fora where they can be discussed. As such, the set up is that there is a United forum for discussions on United, one for BA , another for Qantas etc.

The FT rules includes on regarding staying on topic ( http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#stayontopic ) and this applies to all fora

Trip reports are not on topic for a BA forum but are for the TR forum

FT would be awful to use if there was just 1 big forum for all topics.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Let's not change the issue here. This is what you posted in its entirety:
Yes, if it is in the wrong place it should be moved

This discussion seems to be specifically regarding TRs so that thread is irrelevant to that

I do agree that stuff to do with mileage running should be in the mileage running forum, so if that thread is about it, then yes it should move
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: ABBA
Put me down in the it should never have been moved, not least because of amount of stress it's caused matthandy, but also because of the damage done to community relations.

• Any non-BA travel/aviation threads will be given their customary run before moving on to the relevant home. We’d encourage you to explore further in FT too – there are many other forums with a wealth of information
LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, Swanhunter
Your BA Moderator Team
In the case of a live diary from a long time well known member of the baec community undergoing a lot of banter, moving it in mid flow is not a customery run.

By all means once a trip report has finished and the banter has died down, and it slips into the wastes of page 5, move it to a new audience.

I also recall peasentgate, which was a great report on the baec forum, but as soon as it clashed with other cultures it was locked.

However on the bright side this sorry affair has made me more likely to go to a "do" at some point.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't really think there is a market / interest level for my daily schleps to and from NCL - and my regular trips to Frankfurt lack the sexual frisson that BahrainLad manages to locate. It's all too tedious to read about I'm sure.
Now you are just fishing for compliments.

Originally Posted by matthandy
As the moderator that locked the thread I want to explain why the lockdown was necessary.
Thanks for explaining; my comment was just an interlude, not intending to attack your action.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Seems an ideal role for someone who has plenty of time on their hands which most Mods on here don't seem to have.
Are you volunteering?

changing the rules of FT is for talkboard iirc
Then maybe someone should start a discussion about it on TalkBoard?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, if it is in the wrong place it should be moved

This discussion seems to be specifically regarding TRs so that thread is irrelevant to that

I do agree that stuff to do with mileage running should be in the mileage running forum, so if that thread is about it, then yes it should move
BAEC doesn't use miles for status, and no one is interested in acquiring Avios by sitting on a plane, so there is no "mileage" running here.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
BAEC doesn't use miles for status, and no one is interested in acquiring Avios by sitting on a plane, so there is no "mileage" running here.
Sure there is. From the Welcome to the Mileage Run forum sticky:

What is a Mileage Run? A true mileage run is a trip that’s sole purpose is to earn miles or points in a particular travel industry loyalty program.
(My underlining.)

Every argument which can be made for moving trip reports to the Trip Report forum can be made for moving the Tier Points thread to the Mileage Run forum.

There are a lot of fares and routing ideas which could be shared with the denizens of the Mileage Run forum without forcing them to go hunting them down in the individual airline forums, right? Is it really too much trouble to ask people to mouse-click over to the correct forum so that the thread reaches the widest possible audience?

It's a very active thread. It would relieve some of the pressure on the BA forum by having it moved to the forum where it belongs.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've heard similar comments from other Mods so it does seem to have an impact on their life's.

Which makes me think that if you lead such a busy life then moderating a Flyertalk forum is probably not a good idea if it causes such stress. Seems an ideal role for someone who has plenty of time on their hands which most Mods on here don't seem to have.
This is a good point.

I appreciate the time the mods give, and the often gentle and skillful touch they have in handling emotional situations, and I've noticed these qualities in every mod on the BAEC forum.

However, at the end of the day the role (at least on the BAEC forum) would be easily filled by many other volunteers, so it doesn't sit right with me when I occasionally read their complaints about how they don't have to do this role, and how they give their time voluntarily etc. If they are that unhappy, then maybe they should move on, and create a vacancy that would be easily and enthusiastically filled. As an example, just look at the flurry of applications created when the 'ambassador' tier was created - I'm sure a new mod position would be hugely oversubscribed.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

(My underlining.)

Every argument which can be made for moving trip reports to the Trip Report forum can be made for moving the Tier Points thread to the Mileage Run forum.

There are a lot of fares and routing ideas which could be shared with the denizens of the Mileage Run forum without forcing them to go hunting them down in the individual airline forums, right? Is it really too much trouble to ask people to mouse-click over to the correct forum so that the thread reaches the widest possible audience?

It's a very active thread. It would relieve some of the pressure on the BA forum by having it moved to the forum where it belongs.
I would definitely disagree on that one, because tier points are a very specific BA interest and a good BA TP run may make a poor mileage run and vice versa.

I find the whole idea of the mileage run forum a poor one anyway as people are unlikely to be looking at MRs from other alliances, so for all visitors to that forum there is a lot of irrelevant stuff.

For those looking for a BA TP run they'd gain NO value at all having to dig through the other posts.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by layz
I would definitely disagree on that one, because tier points are a very specific BA interest and a good BA TP run may make a poor mileage run and vice versa.

I find the whole idea of the mileage run forum a poor one anyway as people are unlikely to be looking at MRs from other alliances, so for all visitors to that forum there is a lot of irrelevant stuff.

For those looking for a BA TP run they'd gain NO value at all having to dig through the other posts.
Take a look at this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...i-4-9-cpm.html

It began January 13, 2013. It's kept up-to-date for SIN runs on Delta. It's right there in the middle of all the other mileage run deals, even if you aren't looking for Delta/SkyTeam deals, because that's how the MR forum works.

You can EASILY subscribe to the Tier Point thread if you don't want to mess around with the other posts, and it'll appear in your MyFlyerTalk menu.

People ask for MRs from Europe all of the time, and if more people were exposed to what's available in the BAEC, more might want to sign up, collect Avios, and attain BAEC status. That thread is perfect for the MR forum in every way.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stand corrected.

A principal argument that we've heard for moving trip reports is not just that they are "trip reports" but also that they aren't exclusively or even mainly about BAEC.

However, optimizing for maximum (BA) tier points is a different problem than optimizing for maximum miles. A good "tier point run" on BA would generally not be a good mileage run on AA. (If I find a good fare I will generally cross post it into the Good Deal Premium Fares thread, the BA Sale Fares thread, and the BA tier point runs thread. That is because each of these threads is consolidating different information, and although they may at times overlap, that is simply an artefact of the way the board is organized.)

From an alternative view, I can see the argument that if the AA forum doesn't permit an AA mileage run thread, perhaps for the sake of consistency BAEC should not permit a tier point run thread. I would not be in favour of this interpretation at all.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Guys, we are meandering off topic. This thread is about the placement of BA focused trip reports.

The placement of the current TP run master thread is not up for discussion. Neither is the location of BA forum gatherings, or moderator/ambassador recruitment.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
However, at the end of the day the role (at least on the BAEC forum) would be easily filled by many other volunteers, so it doesn't sit right with me when I occasionally read their complaints about how they don't have to do this role, and how they give their time voluntarily etc. If they are that unhappy, then maybe they should move on, and create a vacancy that would be easily and enthusiastically filled. As an example, just look at the flurry of applications created when the 'ambassador' tier was created - I'm sure a new mod position would be hugely oversubscribed.
I do not think anyone was complaining about the amount of time spent moderating on most routine days. However, when the forum has an issue that takes up an extraordinary amount of work, it gets to the point when it creates an extraordinary amount of work. On some nights I gave up on my sleep for the night to deal with forum issues, although thankfully such a situation is unusual.

No doubt Matthandy has had to give up a lot of personal time to deal with the issue. He's probably not doing it for personal gain (there is basically no benefit to being a moderator) and probably does not expect thanks, but being a mod is a thankless task - you get attacked more than you're left alone or thanked, often quite unreasonably attacked - if you read some of the very abusive and unpleasant attacks some of us have received, I think you may realise that there are extremely unpleasant side to being a moderator.

I would say that Matthandy is entitled to air his side of the story without being effectively told to resign. Since many members appear to feel free to attack the moderators or at least criticise how moderation is carried out (fair enough to present your criticism by PM but not in a nasty way) perhaps allowing him to present his feelings as a moderator without effectively being told to resign would not be unfair. Remember, you can say the same thing about participating in FT...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.