Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is Club Europe worth it - for Avios redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

Flying MAN-LHR-CDG.

Is it worth it to redeem 9000 Avios for Club Europe (LHR-CDG segment only)?

Or just redeem both segments in coach for 4500 Avios(Domestic + Euro Traveler)?

As AA EXP (OW Emerald) I get advanced seat assignments, First Check in, Lounge access, and Fast Track anyway.

Appears the only benefit is no middle seat on the Club Europe segment only. Any other reason to fly Club Europe on the 1 hour flight from LHR to CDG?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: FT
For you. No.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I'd say it depends on how much you value the extra space and enhanced service and how many miles you have.

I've had to book in Club one way on that route for the Paris DO as no economy availability on flight I want but seriously considering cancelling, purchasing a Hand Baggage Only fare for £122 and using 4,500 Avios to knock £30 off that price. Even a cash booking for c.£220 in Club seems better value than the 9,000 Avios.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:58 pm

It eliminates the chance of having someone unpleasant sitting directly next to you. So yes, I think it is worth it.

But are there no non-stop options MAN-PAR?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Not using Avios.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:36 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you haven't got lounge access, it is worth it (unless you are very Avios poor), at least on the outbound.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So clear as mud then . Ultimately only you can decide, but I don't see the point for a short flight to Paris unless you are hemorrhaging Avios.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975

But are there no non-stop options MAN-PAR?
Flybe and AF both fly to CDG, some locos do too
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I would never ever pay Avios for any Club Europe flight. Half of the reason I pay cash is for earning the tier points that come with it.

Save your money. Don't pay double the Avios just to have an empty seat and a salad.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:12 am

Only reason I ever do CE with Avios is if there's no availability in ET. It's not worth it otherwise, to me.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by paul4040
I would never ever pay Avios for any Club Europe flight. Half of the reason I pay cash is for earning the tier points that come with it.

Save your money. Don't pay double the Avios just to have an empty seat and a salad.
+1 on this one~!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
for that short a flight, not worth it (unless you don't have lounge access). the extra 4,500 avios is another flight to europe and for 40 mins and an empty seat, not worth it.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I do CE using Avios quite a bit

- when there is no availability in ET
- when it's a 2h+ flight
- when I can't face (hangover) the thought of sitting anywhere other than row 1 with a seat free next to me
- when I know I'm going to have lots (ahem..."within regulation") of hand luggage and need more overhead space
- when I want something more substantial than a wrap to eat (Band 3 only).

The bigger question for me is who the hell flies from Manchester to Paris via London!?

- BA domestics and Euroflights are more susceptible to delays
- transiting at LHR is a faff
- CDG is a dump and a pain to get to/from.

I would either fly direct or get the train. From Manchester Piccadilly to Euston is 2h8m, 15 minutes to get between Euston and St Pancras, 30 minute checkin, 2h15m Eurostar direct to central Paris would be my route. Far more civilised than flying and roughly the same time as MAN-LHR-CDG.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
There's no right or wrong answer to this. If you're Avios rich then why not. I'd always take the CE option where available because 9000 Avios is nothing to me so I just look at the cash part. One way it's £17.50 economy and £25 business. So for £7.50 I get a middle seat blocked, something to eat, some London Pride and the possibility of trying out some of these battery acid cocktails I was asking about yesterday. Also depending on the aircraft you may get a wider seat and/or more legroom.

Of course if you would have to sacrifice a better redemption in the future by using these extra Avios then that is a different matter. But if you're Avios rich I'm sure you can find more than £7.50 value in CE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.