Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the fastest run from zero to GGL?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
I wouldn't mind doing something like a BRU-HEL-LHR>LCY-JFK-PHX-HNL run, but only once a year...

His blog reads like Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" if you ever watched that: "By Day X I felt totally dead and hadn't slept more than an hour" etc etc...

I have to say that I like the sound of that sort of challenge - to do some unfeasible number of flights in a very short space of time. But I am a bit masochistic I think!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Many thanks for posting Beardoc. Interesting.

I really like the composition of the RTW trip. Starting with QR and 'saving' the LHR-CPT leg for last. NRT-CDG is inspired too. ^
Does the QR start save YQ? and did it cause any issues ticketing or were AA okay to do it?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by littlefish
Many thanks for posting Beardoc. Interesting.

I really like the composition of the RTW trip. Starting with QR and 'saving' the LHR-CPT leg for last. NRT-CDG is inspired too. ^
Does the QR start save YQ? and did it cause any issues ticketing or were AA okay to do it?
AA ATW desk ticketed it without questions but changed the QR DOH-PHL into an AA codeshare, which I didn't mind. Even put a rush on pricing it out as I was ticketing really close to the ticketing deadline. It was fairly simple. Have done this a number of times.

Often I go with the simplicity of the OW online tool for booking these, but in this case, the online tool refused, as QR are not yet ticketing from the online booking tool. QR were too hard to deal with so I just went to AA and that solved everything.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Impressive stuff. What is the theoretical quickest time someone could get from zero to GGL? A few back-to-back Ex-EU trips to Hawaii? Or lots of intra-US F flights? Could it be done in a week (ignoring exhaustion consequences)?
I'm not sure it could - the turnarounds on the SJU-HNL-SJU runs was about 2.5 days for 920TPs, so it's tricky to get this done in a week. Two weeks would be possible, though.

I did want to take a holiday in there, though!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billinghamn
I'd be interested to understand why you do a RTW trip every year - is this just for fun? Or do you plan it in around a specific line of business you are in?
I don't get to travel for business, so this is all travel for enjoyment. All self funded. I'd love a job that involves travel, but that's unlikely to happen, so the work funds the travel, though. Fortunate to get a LOT of time off when I need it for these itineraries. The previous DONE4/5 itineraries I was crediting to QFF and was getting 2000 status credits per itinerary. Although I won't be able get 2290 TP again, I reckon I'll be able to get around 1800-2000 TP out of a DONE5 again. Just playing around with the oneworld map suggests I could do it, although I'll confirm that another time.

I'll be happy to share my TP-optimised DONE4/DONE5s in the future if you like!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

What was really interesting is that towards the end of the SJU-HNL runs the AA staff were starting to use different language - with things like "thank you for all the miles you fly with us". I think I tripped something in the AA computers/iPads.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by paul4040
I wouldn't mind doing something like a BRU-HEL-LHR>LCY-JFK-PHX-HNL run, but only once a year...

His blog reads like Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" if you ever watched that: "By Day X I felt totally dead and hadn't slept more than an hour" etc etc...

The next sale that comes up and prices well, I'll book that run again next year. I rather enjoyed it

Well done to the OP. My brain is still processing it

H
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
I took the liberty of mapping your sectors (I was having trouble following along!): http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=JNB-DUR...KG-DEL-KUL-SYD
Really useful visualisation there. Thanks ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.