Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Dove - How Many Are Left?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by KARFA
The firefly was London 2012 branded so I guess there was a limited period when it could retain the livery? Possibly BA decided to take it off anyway since the London Olympics are over. I don't think it had the Olympic rings on since BA weren't the official Olympic airline were they?

The Dove livery is BA's own design and doesn't mention the Olympics so I guess there is no pressing reason to remove it until the frames come in for a re-paint.
They certainly were the official airline for 2012. Can you remember this?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by layz
They were the official airline of team gb, not the official olympic airline.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Btw, I like that advert a lot ^
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Btw, I like that advert a lot ^
BA did quite a lot with their Olympic sponsorship, I'm glad they kept that ad up.

Other things they did was sponsor the area of the Olympic Park where people could just relax watching the events on the big screen. They were also running competitions on their website to give away tickets to the Olympic Park almost every day (which was actually a great way to soak up the atmosphere if you didn't have a ticket for an event).

Funnily enough for me, the takeover of bmi in 2012 made the decision to buy ticketss a whole lot easier! As Visa is one of the major sponsors it was the only payment method accepted for tickets and in shops, bars and restaurants within the park. With the high price of tickets I resented not being able to earn any miles on these, but then the ability to move diamond club miles to BA occurred and so I could use my bmi Visa (1 mile/£ at the time, so not as good as the bmi Amex but better than nothing).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I personally was never a fan of the bird livery. I think they now just look naff with the odd blue engine cowling, soon to follow with nose cones. As noted above, it's big time when you get someone behind you explaining to their travel companion that 'this is the airplane that ferried Team GB around the world, carried the Olympic Torch all over the place, was christened by the Queen, etc etc.'

Totally off-topic, but it reminds me of the time I landed in FRA on a long haul flight (ages ago). The guy behind me pointed to the blue-illuminated sign above T1 and told his girlfriend that it was called Frankfurt/Main, because it was the main airport, there was another one a few miles away!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I personally was never a fan of the bird livery. I think they now just look naff with the odd blue engine cowling, soon to follow with nose cones. As noted above, it's big time when you get someone behind you explaining to their travel companion that 'this is the airplane that ferried Team GB around the world, carried the Olympic Torch all over the place, was christened by the Queen, etc etc.'
I believe it was G-DBCB which had a blue port nacelle cowling.

I flew on it last Sunday DUB-LHR and it had been repainted white. You could still see flecks of blue though!

The Dove livery is nice enough - the golden Union Flag looks very good, I think. The weird "eye" details on the cockpit and some of the feather work does look a bit odd though.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paul4040
The weird "eye" details on the cockpit and some of the feather work does look a bit odd though.
Creeepy, as my daughter would say!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Totally off-topic, but it reminds me of the time I landed in FRA on a long haul flight (ages ago). The guy behind me pointed to the blue-illuminated sign above T1 and told his girlfriend that it was called Frankfurt/Main, because it was the main airport, there was another one a few miles away!
I blame Ryanair for making people think there's another Frankfurt airport!

It's always good listening to people sounding knowledgeable when it's obvious that they're not.

Someone on the bmi forum overheard someone telling their child that bmi stood for Birmingham, Manchester and Ipswich - their original destinations!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:07 am
Suspended

I blame Ryanair for making people think there's another Frankfurt airport!
This would have been ca 1989!

It's always good listening to people sounding knowledgeable when it's obvious that they're not.
It provides me with so much inside-chuckling that it makes the boarding queue almost worthwhile.

Someone on the bmi forum overheard someone telling their child that bmi stood for Birmingham, Manchester and Ipswich - their original destinations!
A gem!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another thing that makes me laugh is those that try and impress those they're travelling with by exaggerating their status benefits. "BA always upgrades me when travelling alone because of my gold card, they can't do it when I'm travelling with other people though as they like to seat people together".

"I'm Platinum, BA always look after me well" (not sure whether this was an Amex Plat cardholder who got free CX Gold, an AA Plat or someone just lying and not realising BA doesn't have a platinum tier).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:35 am
Suspended

I know, so funny!

Should we merge this with the DYKWIA thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.