Search

Live TP run NCL-LHR-DUB-JFK-CLT-TPA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG

Hi all,

Mods, please keep this as a separate thread while it's live, it would be much appreciated.

Not sure if this qualifies as a TP run compared to some of the adventures I've read about on here, but mine may put a slightly different perspective to the ones I've read about recently.

This TP run has come about because I'm moving to Tampa FL and with the help of FT I decided to go 'a long way round' in order to maximise TP. I'm flying CE to DUB with BA, have a two night layover in Dublin, then continue onto TPA with AA and US in coach. As many TP runs tend to see people travelling in CW or F, this may put a different slant on things.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:43 am
Original Poster

NCL

As I've never experienced the BA lounge at NCL, I decided to get to the airport early.

OLCI yesterday so just needed to drop bags at the airport. Noone manning the fast track BA desk so joined the regular queue. The lady at bag drop, while quite pleasant, seemed intent on giving me paper boarding passes, despite me having shown her my BP on the iPhone app. Had a similar experience in MCO earlier this year, why do some check in/bag drop agents seem to be 'anti' mobile BPs?

Used the fast track lane for security as there seemed to be a gaggle of holidaymakers in the normal lane, got the the front only for a staff member to direct half a dozen people from the normal lane to the fast track screening. I wasn't in a rush so it wasn't an issue. Got to the the lounge and had it all to myself initially. A chap was walking around the bar and breakfast bar area with a check list on a clipboard. Very impressed with how well presented everything was, plenty of choices on offer.

Currently settled with a coffee and a danish. Interestingly (considering a discussion on another thread) there are numerous signs around the lounge reminding people that food and drink is only intended for consumption in the lounge.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Good morning pipsi!

Nice to see you are on the "run". Of course the class of travel does not limit anyone from doing a live Trip Report.

Looks as if you started off fine, hope that the rest will be as smooth.

As per "anti-mobile BP's", I have recently been behind pax with uncharged mobiles, claiming "It's in there, you sent it to me" . For experienced travellers like you and me, who keep their phones charged, that is never a problem, but you've seen the others...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Morning pipsi; looking forwarding to following updates on your trip!

I'm in the NCL lounge fairly regularly and always find it very pleasant. Always clean and well-stocked. Staff also very friendly and helpful.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 29, 2016 at 1:03 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
As has been mentioned it does not matter what class of seat you are in, everyone is happy to read a good TR, and hopefully you will add some photos to the mix, look forward to reading
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

Good luck pipsi and looking forward to your live trip report. Hope your trip is smooth and problem free.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:56 am
Original Poster

NCL-LHR 1A

While waiting to board I noticed a chap with a rather large carry on roller case, surprised he got it past the gate agent, it's bigger than the suitcase I checked. Quite a few pax boarding with three (and a couple with four) carry on bags.

I also noticed one of my carry on bags had been tagged at bag drop with a yellow tag which was useful considering I'm sat in 1A!

Cheerful CC making an effort to chat and engage with pax as they board.

Flight is due to take off on time so should be arriving at LHR shortly after 1000. I've decided to go landside to transfer to T1 as advice on here suggests doing it airside will take longer.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Take lots of pics pipsi :-)
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by onobond
I have recently been behind pax with uncharged mobiles
Good thing they weren't going to the US!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by pipsi
While waiting to board I noticed a chap with a rather large carry on roller case, surprised he got it past the gate agent, it's bigger than the suitcase I checked. Quite a few pax boarding with three (and a couple with four) carry on bags.

I also noticed one of my carry on bags had been tagged at bag drop with a yellow tag which was useful considering I'm sat in 1A!

Cheerful CC making an effort to chat and engage with pax as they board.

Flight is due to take off on time so should be arriving at LHR shortly after 1000. I've decided to go landside to transfer to T1 as advice on here suggests doing it airside will take longer.
You might consider another yellow tag
http://www.flyertalk.com/store/

Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
As has been mentioned it does not matter what class of seat you are in, everyone is happy to read a good TR, and hopefully you will add some photos to the mix, look forward to reading
Whether it turns out to be good or not remains to be seen, my journalistic days of writing for Palatinate whilst studying at Durham are behind me so I may be a little rusty.

I've taken a couple of pics so far but will wait until I'm at my hotel in DUB to post them as I need to work out how to do it.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:14 am
Original Poster

NCL-LHR 1A

Very smooth flight and service, shortly after take off CC came around with breakfast toasties quickly followed by full bar service. I always find the fillings tasty but do feel as if the roof of my mouth has been cut to shreds by the hard crusts.

Landed into T5 five minutes ahead of schedule into the gate closest to arrivals (can never remember what number it is). As mentioned earlier I opted to go landside and use the Heathrow Express to change to T1, no great delays and straight through fast track back airside.

Stopped off in Duty Free on the way to the lounge to buy a couple of things, proactively, offered a 5 off voucher at the till and a Ralph Lauren make up bag for free which was a bonus.

Lounge is rather quiet and not as well stocked as NCL, however two members of staff milling around keeping the place clean and tidy. Generous breakfast options still on offer but bar doesn't seem to be set up, a couple of bottles of open wine on the counter and some beers in the fridge. Was hoping to get a glass of champagne but opted for a cold beer (the sun in over the yard arm somewhere right?) instead as T1 is stifling hot and need to cool down.

Will ask for a glass of bubbly a little later. My onward flight isn't until 1405 so plenty of time to relax (and perhaps work out how to post pics!).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Looking forward to the report pipsi. Glad you've set off well.

In the UK&Irl Lounge at T1, the second bar area - the one furthest from the entrance - seems to be better stocked with booze, especially if it's spirits you're after.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Looking forward to the report pipsi. Glad you've set off well.

In the UK&Irl Lounge at T1, the second bar area - the one furthest from the entrance - seems to be better stocked with booze, especially if it's spirits you're after.
No spirits at all to see, I have a pic just trying to work out how to post it. Asked for a glass of champagne so I'm content.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.