Search

BA Flight change issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, PCR Platinum
BA Flight change issues

Wonder if someone could help me.

We have a holiday booked for the end of this month and am taking my 2 in-laws, one of which is disabled due to hip issues. I received a call from BA on Tuesday stating that they have moved the flight forward by 90 minutes. This means we would need to be at the airport at 5:45 which due to the distance we have to drive is a none starter. Well when I phoned BA and explained they said we couldn't be switched to the later flight as it was full. The only choice we have is a different day which mucks up my car hire, separate hotel booking (me and my family are using avios and separate hotel booking) I cant get the day off from work and my wife can't get the day after so we've squeezed this in.

The BA rep said that they are allowed to change a flight time by up to 120 minutes as per their t&c and we are faced with losing almost all the money. Not happy at all. What should I do?
BAEC Gold so fly a lot with them but losing the faith.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Drive to the airport the night before and the night at a hotel in Heathrow.
You have to pick up the cost yourself. There are some cheap hotels around if you act sooner rather than later.

BA can make changes since it is more than two weeks before the flight. These things happen when flying. If there are no seats on the later flight, there are no seats on the later flight. Not a lot anyone can do. You can use verify their comment through expertflyer.com or similar websites for free; i.e. to see if they are selling tickets on that later flight.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Hotels at Heathrow are relatively cheap. Could you start the vacation the night before, and spend the night in an airport hotel?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's certainly annoying when these things happen. Is this 05:45 hrs, or 17:45? There aren't many services that leave before 07 hrs so I presume it's afternoon, and you are working the same day?

If it is morning then an airport hotel booking seems best. I also think it is very unlikely that the later service will remain chokka full for the whole of the next month, so I'd hound the airline on that one, after seeing if you can make a cash dummy booking. Does your insurance help? Mine doesn't cover this either. If it is Avios, presumably you could get a refund, use another airline and save the Avios for another day?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. When you have someone with the issues my mother in law has (no jokes ) it's not easy at all to decamp to a hotel for 1 night. What's annoying is this has been booked since last August and I've spent months planning and arranging everything. I've even asked to go on standby for the later flight but they say no.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:07 am
Original Poster

The flight's in the morning. Was 8:45 now 7:15. This means I have to get there drop them off (she cant walk far atm)then get to the parking and back hence the need to be there at 5:45am. We've been so excited about this and I understand things change but BA are being so difficult.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by ZomersetFlyer
The flight's in the morning. Was 8:45 now 7:15. This means I have to get there drop them off (she cant walk far atm)then get to the parking and back hence the need to be there at 5:45am. We've been so excited about this and I understand things change but BA are being so difficult.
In that case definitely look at a hotel. There's so many near to Heathrow (and they often bundle cheap parking packages in there) that prices are often low. You can then get a taxi to the airport in the morning.

This avoids all the stress and if you find a hotel offering a decent parking package might not be much more money either.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you give us the destination and date someone will verify that the later flight is full, or maybe suggest an alternative.

Have you thought about meet & greet parking which would save some time and is surprisingly cheap: e.g. www.gosimply.com

Otherwise it sounds like the hotel option. There's a thread on getting the Sofitel for £90ish if it helps.

Unfortunately, EU261 works both ways: it defines what airlines can do without penalty and in this case it won't help you.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: BA
but BA are being so difficult.
If the later flight really is full, then I'm afraid I fail to see how BA are being so difficult.

What about valet parking? That way you can drive to the terminal, help your mother-in-law and someone else worries about the car.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:15 am

Whilst I totally sympathise with your situation and dilemma, unfortunately a time change of a flight does happen from time to time, and 90 minutes is not such a big difference, I know it is early and it is an inconvenience for you and your family. I have booked a flight last November for this September and the flight time has changed twice by now, it is just one f these things.
Try and not let it stress you out too much and I am sure if BA could have got you on to the later flight I am sure they would.
It is not great having to leave 90 minutes earlier than panned but then again think if it would have moved to 90 minutes later than planned you would have been caught up in rush hour and most likely would have had to leave at the same time.

Being Gold or not makes no difference in your situation sadly, flight times change for one reason or another and BA fulfilled their obligations to inform you well in advance.
Think about the other options i.e. Valet Parking etc and I hope you can all still enjoy your holiday and it will not leave a bitter taste overshadowing the favourite time of the year.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Hi ZomersetFlyer. I sympathise with your dilemma but from our experience of travelling with my teenage daughter who also has mobility issues, if getting up earlier isn't an option, stay the night before the flight and request a disabled room at the hotel. They don't cost more than a standard room and are generally very well equipped. I'm guessing you will have organised special facilities at your destination anyway. We also keep our own wheelchair with us to the plane door and have it returned to the door when we land. It is a collapsible wheelchair that packs into a large kitbag but worth the investment. That way we are in control of moving through the airport and avoid having to rely on the so called 'service' provided to disabled passengers at airports.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have to join others. Annoying when it happens but it does (especially when booking a year ahead) and there is nothing else BA have to offer nor could they if later flight is full. Only alternative not mentioned is you could also ask for a full refund if you so prefer and buy new tickets on another airline or to another destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.