Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happened to the early/late MAN flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: ABBA

I'm sure in the past I've had flights leaving MAN as early as 6AM, and leaving at 10PM. These flights just don't seem to exist any more. Very frustrating.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth gambling to get Sunday's 7AM from MAN, arrive LHR 0805, then onto the TLV 0850 departure on a separate ticket, or to bite the bullet and travel down the night before, missing an evening at home.

On the way back I'll have to get the 07xx rendition flight as the afternoon flight gets in too late for the last MAN flight at 20:20!

OK, I can see limited need for a 6AM Sunday departure, but where did the 10PM Friday evening flight go?!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Was there a 10pm LHR-MAN flight? The latest I remember is 21:00 from last winter.

I do quite miss the 22:05 BA1411 MAN-LHR however...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Was there a 10pm LHR-MAN flight? The latest I remember is 21:00 from last winter.

I do quite miss the 22:05 BA1411 MAN-LHR however...
Maybe it was wishful thinking and it was a 2200 arrival.

However In the days after BMI was bought I got the tiny planes (the 2-1 seating and built in steps) a few times. July 4th 2012, I took the 2200 LHR-MAN BA8108, sitting in 14D.

Ahh, here we are:

Aug 8th 2012 21:30 BA1410, I managed to get food poisoning from the "food" in GF.

Oct 9th 2013, BA1410 @21:40
Sep 26th, July 30th, 26th and 19th, May 7th, Apr 4th, all 2013, all same flight, same time.

There's no restrictions at MAN, so you could have a 2300 departure from LHR arriving 2345.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:59 am

If I would be in your situation I would definately come over the night.
Even if you have handbaggage only and already hold BPs for blth flights you only have a window of 10 mins to pass through conformance.
Plus on 2 seperate tickets your onward flight is not "protected" and most limely you would incur hefty change fees or even have to buy a newticket,deoending on the ticket you hold.

So no, don't do it
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flier74
If I would be in your situation I would definately come over the night.
Even if you have handbaggage only and already hold BPs for blth flights you only have a window of 10 mins to pass through conformance.
Plus on 2 seperate tickets your onward flight is not "protected" and most limely you would incur hefty change fees or even have to buy a newticket,deoending on the ticket you hold.

So no, don't do it
I have to book last minute, have to be able to cancel even laster-minuter. If this were AA I'd have a concierge key rather than scraping 3ktp a year. The only reason I'm looking at flights this far out is that BA oversells its cabins, there's no financial benefit.

I'd far rather walk up and buy a ticket 2 hours before hand, simpler than booking then cancelling.

Therefore the risk is having to take the horrendous evening flight.

Conformance on ex-domestic connections is <35 minutes I believe, more like 25. It certainly should be under 30 as there's no security to pass through.

Trouble is, I'm not sure if I'll be taking 2x32 kg bags, or none, and won't be until Friday, so I guess I'd better hold the saturday evening flight
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:31 am

I may be wrong, but I believe conformance is -35 across the board, but happily stand corrected.
If you do take bags I would think, 45 minutes would be a legal MCT connection, but again happlily stand corrected by someone in the know.

Regardless of bag or not, I still think you are taking a big risk here, but then some people like a challenge
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flier74
I may be wrong, but I believe conformance is -35 across the board, but happily stand corrected.
It's 35 minutes from landside. From airside connections it can be from 22 minutes to 35 minutes, depending on the precise connection, plus they are more willing to ring up the gate from landside.

The OP needs merely to move to Newcastle, where we strangely have hung on to early and late flights. Or EDI if you don't mind potentially living outside the UK. There were some cuts to Manchester's services and I think I saw another post here of someone who had some daft timings as a result. Anyway I thought you were swearing by (or was it at?) the Little Red service.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's 35 minutes from landside. From airside connections it can be from 22 minutes to 35 minutes, depending on the precise connection, plus they are more willing to ring up the gate from landside.

The OP needs merely to move to Newcastle, where we strangely have hung on to early and late flights. Or EDI if you don't mind potentially living outside the UK. There were some cuts to Manchester's services and I think I saw another post here of someone who had some daft timings as a result. Anyway I thought you were swearing by (or was it at?) the Little Red service.
Little red on the day trips. VS don't fly anywhere useful like TLV, CAI, NBO, SIN etc

Although lately I've been getting the train back, as the flights don't go late enough. This sadly meant my 2200 departure from London Pubbington meant a 2300 departure from EUS and 0200 arrival home last week after some libations in London.

A 2300 departure from LHR (thus 2155 from PAD) would have meant home for midnight
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Or indeed Leeds as we still have our 2100 flight to LHR which I will be on this Friday, although it doesn't run on a Saturday. I think there are usually one or two seats spare if you need to use it in the future paulwuk

EDIT: admittedly we never had an early flight, the earliest flightfrom LBA gets in to LHR for around 1030.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:14 am

It's 35 minutes from landside. From airside connections it can be from 22 minutes to 35 minutes, depending on the precise connection, plus they are more willing to ring up the gate from landside..
Thats good to know, thank you
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Or indeed Leeds as we still have our 2100 flight to LHR which I will be on this Friday, although it doesn't run on a Saturday. I think there are usually one or two seats spare if you need to use it in the future paulwuk

EDIT: admittedly we never had an early flight, the earliest flightfrom LBA gets in to LHR for around 1030.
The final flight from LBA on Saturday is 1540 I'm afraid, however during the week you're right.

It's takes 1h15 minutes to do the 59.7 miles from home to LBA, so I guess timing a 2040 arrival would mean leaving home at 1925. Call it 1915 to be safe, as 60 miles can have a lot of problems.

The last BA flight leaves at 1940, so 1930 doors close, so 1920 out of taxi, 1915 into taxi, call it 1910 just in case the taxi is late.

Not quite worthwhile

In the from-skanky-london direction final LBA flight is 1920, rather than 2020 to MAN (and 2045 out of T1 on VS -- meaning a 2020 arrival at T1 should get you on board)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk
It's takes 1h15 minutes to do the 59.7 miles from home to LBA, so I guess timing a 2040 arrival would mean leaving home at 1925. Call it 1915 to be safe, as 60 miles can have a lot of problems.

The last BA flight leaves at 1940, so 1930 doors close, so 1920 out of taxi, 1915 into taxi, call it 1910 just in case the taxi is late.

Not quite worthwhile
It's ok, I was really making very tongue in cheek comment. I wouldn't recommend driving to LBA if you are over Manchester way. LBA has pretty crap road links. It is not great to get to from the south of Leeds never mind from Manchester. Fortunately I am north Leeds so takes me 20 minutes.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Far better to drop the LBA rotation and use the plane and slot for another MAN flight

(I'd even take EGCB, CEG or even LPL as options)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Far better to drop the LBA rotation and use the plane and slot for another MAN flight

(I'd even take EGCB, CEG or even LPL as options)
Whoa, I thought we in the regions should be sticking together I don't like you anymore
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Whoa, I thought we in the regions should be sticking together I don't like you anymore
You're forgetting the war of the roses though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.