Wiki Posts
Search

BA F - Very Mediocre * LH Much Better

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Petrus
Yes, but getting there...
Which is really the most significant design fault of T5. CCR/GF are not ideally positioned for anyone, be they in F, CW or a GCH travelling in WT/WT+, when their flight departs from T5B or worst still T5C.

Yes, you can use the Galleries Club in T5B or Starbucks in T5C; but I personally have gold so I can use the F lounge and when I fly F, I definitely want to use the CCR, so they are not really adequate alternatives.

Not a lot BA can do about that now, except perhaps a car or other premium transfer for F passengers.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner
How is T5 'Dismal'? (...)
I'm all for a bit of comparing product, but lets try and keep it real eh?
Compare LH F check-in and (integrated) security lane at MUC T2 with going to BA F check-in but having to join the general scrum that is "fast"-track security at T5 ...
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Petrus
Car service really should be standard for F PAX, especially with the dismal connecting and departing + arriving experience that T5 has become for many hours of the day...
It doesn't matter how BA or hardcore BA fans spin it; there is nothing premium or First Class about T5 except for the magic door and the CCR when staff are on the ball.
Absolutely agree - the way I look at it is that F should be 'seamless'. And walking from the CCR to T5C doesn't seem to be seamless (again, not that I've ever had to do it).

Frankfurt even has a dedicated first-class terminal with its own security, etc.

Now there's an idea ... instead of queuing to get through security and turning into the lounge, how about a dedicated CCR security point?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Compare LH F check-in and (integrated) security lane at MUC T2 with going to BA F check-in but having to join the general scrum that is "fast"-track security at T5 ...
Ha, you type quicker!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Love the person trying to defend BA based on his opinion (doesn't like caviar, doesn't order steak.... ...) just admit it that BA is behind LH on F service. It is ok to admit it.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I cant say I've that. No security between my LHR arrival and long haul outbound, then on the return generally a long walk from my inbound long haul flight and a generic security experience.

Security South is mixed. But I'm amazed how many people insist on standing in fast track waiting, when the other lines can be quicker. Ive never waited more than 10 mins, generally less. Which is what I'm getting at: It might be worse than a dedicated line with no one in it, but its hardly a "scrum".
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by olybeast
Love the person trying to defend BA based on his opinion (doesn't like caviar, doesn't order steak.... ...) just admit it that BA is behind LH on F service. It is ok to admit it.
That would be me.

Of course its my opinion!!

And i offer it for balance. Because you share the OPs opinions doesn't make them Fact.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
CCR/GF are not ideally positioned for anyone ...
Not a lot BA can do about that now, except perhaps a car or other premium transfer for F passengers.
If BA were to add a car transfer from lounge to gate for F passengers, how would this work? How to get from CCR to the apron to reach the car?

The experience getting from security into CCR is fine. I've often wondered if there could be some improved route from CCR back into the terminal. Out either door of the CCR, there's a long detour to escalator, and a fair number of steps wasted. How about a new exit from CCR, straight to the terminal/shopping area below CCR? This would require a new elevator or staircase, and maybe a new staff position to guard against entry. But it sure would be handy.

Does some aspect of the BA-BAA contract require that even CCR pax pass through the terminal mall at least once?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner
I cant say I've that. No security between my LHR arrival and long haul outbound, then on the return generally a long walk from my inbound long haul flight and a generic security experience.
So you (almost)never start your journey at T5, but you're claiming the experience for departing pax in F/J is good enough?

Security South is mixed.
MUC T2 F check-in/security isn't. Which is my point!

But I'm amazed how many people insist on standing in fast track waiting, when the other lines can be quicker. Ive never waited more than 10 mins, generally less. Which is what I'm getting at: It might be worse than a dedicated line with no one in it, but its hardly a "scrum".
Ha! Until relatively recently, you risked getting shouted at by a HAL security goon if you dared to try and change security lanes. Not that that stopped me trying....

Seriously, though, your idea of T5 premium security being good enough is based on pax sneaking through the Y security lanes if they are quieter?

Last edited by shorthauldad; Jun 29, 2014 at 9:27 am Reason: typos
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bedelman
If BA were to add a car transfer from lounge to gate for F passengers, how would this work? How to get from CCR to the apron to reach the car?
Indeed. So compact is T5 that I would personally not wish to be ferried the relatively short distance from CCR to the gates, and for T5A gates it could only be counter productive. Gate 32 is in the top north west corner of T5B, about 10 minutes walk from CCR. There are gates further than that, I think the furthest would be 52 (long jetty) or 66. Even that's 15 minutes from CCR. I can see flapping around with cars would not save much on that.

I've only had two Lufthansa lounge limos, and in both cases I was under some pressure to leave early, so that I could be pre-boarded, whereas my personal preference is to be in the final 10% of boarding. On another occasion I was limo'd from flight 1 to flight2 direct, due to delays, and I can't argue with that!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA F - Very Mediocre * LH Much Better

Fish Eggs aka Caviar is bloody awful yuk!

do most people like Caviar?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed. So compact is T5 that I would personally not wish to be ferried the relatively short distance from CCR to the gates, and for T5A gates it could only be counter productive. Gate 32 is in the top north west corner of T5B, about 10 minutes walk from CCR. T
Gate 32 is the SINGLE furthest gate at T5. You must be thinking of the distance to the gate entrance. The gate then wind out and angles left and then winds back...probably another half mile...whatever, it is very long and it the furthest gate.

I've only had two Lufthansa lounge limos, and in both cases I was under some pressure to leave early, so that I could be pre-boarded, whereas my personal preference is to be in the final 10% of boarding. On another occasion I was limo'd from flight 1 to flight2 direct, due to delays, and I can't argue with that!
I was instructed to go to the limo departure area 20 mins before scheduled departure. Seems like pretty good timing to me.

Also, LH has a dedicated immigration/passport control officer stationed INSIDE the First Lounge! So, just one step there...and no in-transit security screening...(wonder why LH thinks that's ok and everyone else seems to think we need a secondary screening up arrival for in-transit passengers?)
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Padmeister

Horrible, nasty, yuk!

My wife likes it though ...
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Originally Posted by Padmeister

Horrible, nasty, yuk!

My wife likes it though ...
Hi Tobias.

I remember trying it a few years ago and before I tasted it I looked at it for a while and thought this looks bloody awful! And it was! Its definitely one of them things labelled a "delicacy" just because society says it is
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nologic
Gate 32 is the SINGLE furthest gate at T5. You must be thinking of the distance to the gate entrance. The gate then wind out and angles left and then winds back...probably another half mile...whatever, it is very long and it the furthest gate.
Half a mile? The entire length of T5B, from north to south, is 442 metres, that particular jetty is rather long but I think it is nearer 80 metres than half a mile. If you think about it, it won't be much longer than the longest dimension on a 747, and they are 70 metres long. But I am almost certain the T5C jetties are of similar length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.