Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When you start feeling jaded from flying BA what do you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When you start feeling jaded from flying BA what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
A few I can think of off the top of my head.

For business trips of one working week or less I will do whatever I can to make sure I just have cabin baggage. We use Citrix so most of the time I don't even have to take my laptop.

I do make sure I'm in priority boarding if I do have cabin baggage and make no apology for being one of those that hangs around in the vicinity of the fast track - recent flight home from Amsterdam was a prime example of why, the E170's just don't have the capacity for everyone in a full plane to have 2 pieces.

Always load my tablet with what I want to watch, plus have decent noise cancelling buds (though have returned 2 sets of the Bose ones in the last six months as they packed up)

Have an arrangement with my boss that now our travel policy is PE to the US East Coast, or cost equivalent, I'll fly on a Friday night or Saturday morning in order to get the Sat night stay in and go in Business as it's cheaper than PE Sun-Fri

Don't restrict myself to BA - going East I'll fly CX or QR.

For short haul I'll take a POUG as I'd prefer an empty seat next to me

For leisure trips with Mrs Lem, just accept we'll be putting luggage in the hold
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 29, 2016 at 4:53 am
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
I'm not sure I get tired of flying, it's more getting tired of the way I fly. New company try and book the overnight LHR-DME all the time as it means they don't have me flying during a working day and I have always been one for arranging things like clockwork, which when things are not perfect stresses me out.

So I change the way I fly. Put foot down now and again on the overnights, and make myself book itineraries that have much more time in them, enable bags in hold and are less stressful to me.

I wonder how much of the "jaded with flying" is caused by us putting stress on ourselves
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:37 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
I wonder how much of the "jaded with flying" is caused by us putting stress on ourselves
I'd add stress put on by company travel policies where they don't care how you get somewhere, and at how much inconvenience to you, as long as it is at the lowest possible price to that.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
I’ve honed my routine and now travel without any cabin baggage.
I've started taking this route and it's amazing how liberating it is. Tried advocating it to others but they look at me like I've got two heads!

I would rather spend 30 minutes (usually a lot less) at the baggage reclaim than 30 minutes stood in a scrum waiting for boarding to be called. I always leave the lounge at the last possible moment just in case priority boarding has gone to pot (as is usually the case in China) and I don't want to be that guy pushing through the cattle waving his status card like its a decree from the Queen.

Giving yourself plenty of time either side of the flight is equally important to me. I always give myself a full day between arriving and attending any appointments, and also a day off before returning to wind down.

Being a Dan Air and Britannia child of the 80's I was raised on the mantra that you should always arrive at the airport 3hrs before departure, and I still try to adhere to that.

Touch wood but I rarely get stressed when traveling and this lets me enjoy it more than feeling its a chore.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Flew Swiss to ZRH last week (from LCY, back to LHR) due to flight timing requirements and after that, I've had my joy for BA refreshed. No one should complain about the wraps on BA after the rubbish that LX serve.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I do most of my flying in Y so jaded is pretty much the default. When I want to feel better about BA, however, I just remember my experiences of US carriers and the contempt with which you are treated down the back and everything seems better!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
A single short haul sector on Air France is usually enough to bring me running back to BA.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
I would rather spend 30 minutes (usually a lot less) at the baggage reclaim than 30 minutes stood in a scrum waiting for boarding to be called.
I sometimes think I would be better off checking in my luggage but I am reminded of the times when I did do that and how often it got lost and also of the fact that a typical 5 day business trip of mine will involve one to two flights a day and that means and increased risk of an airline losing my luggage and 2.5 hours wait time rather than 30 minutes. Admittedly, I don't usually need to rush to get overhead space except on US domestic even in F.

As to topic at hand, I am a little tired of all the travel, not really bored, as I never get bored with something to read or watch, but it's rather tiring. I do my best to really take it easy, relax, and try to enjoy the experience even if I do it so regularly.

I always have my Sennheiser Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones for clean sound from my iPad but should actually get a pair of in-ear noise cancelling buds, although I have no problem sleeping with some noise around me as long as it was there when I was going to sleep.

I always try to fly BA and stay in the same hotels so not really jaded with BA as such. I find that keeping to what I know helps greatly in reducing travel-related stress so I'm not big on trying other airlines or hotels to see what they are like. If I like something I tend to stick to it for this reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.