Search

Using Gold upgrade for 2 voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec club, Flying Blue, VFC, IHG Rewards, EasyJet Plus
Question Using Gold upgrade for 2 voucher

Hi all

After all my flying last year, I now have a GUF2 to use. My chosen companion knows quite a bit about these; but has asked me to check something with the collective wisdom of this group. I must admit I don't fully understand the question, so forgive me if it doesn't make sense, but this is what is asked..

If it is not possible to book a particular flight through BA (because there is no avios availibility), can it still be done through a travel agent if the lowest fare in the class upgrading to is still available. Or does that only apply to the Amex companion vouchers?

(Specifically, looking to book in Club World and upgrade to First)

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers
TT
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
AFAIK, there must be Avios availability in the higher cabin.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

If it's an Avios booking you want to use the GUF2 upgrade on that is done through BA obviously and there must be redemption availability in the class you want to upgrade to.
If you want to purchase a revenue ticket and upgrade that, it does not require Avios availability since it books into a revenue fare, and that can only be booked through a TA.

Does that answer your question or did I misunderstand it?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:23 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes the GUF2 can be used through a TA and requires the lowest revenue fare bucket availability rather than award inventory.

There are plenty of threads with info if you search for GUF2.

Originally Posted by jmc1K
AFAIK, there must be Avios availability in the higher cabin.
Only if applied after booking or booked through BA (award or revenue booking). If you book through a TA you only need T/I/A availability.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Wow, thanks all for the speedy replies. Yes I am looking to pay for club and upgrade to first. So it sounds as if a TA can do it.

Cheers
TT
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by nux
Yes the GUF2 can be used through a TA and requires the lowest revenue fare bucket availability rather than award inventory.

There are plenty of threads with info if you search for GUF2.

Only if applied after booking or booked through BA (award or revenue booking). If you book through a TA you only need T/I/A availability.
That's nice to know.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Hi again

Are there only certain travel agents who can do this, as clearly they need access to your BAEC account to get the voucher details? How would I locate one?

Do both people have to be present to make the booking?

And finally, can they book "complex" itineraries - for example MAN-LHR-JFK-BOS (where paying for business and the first upgrade is only relevant for the LHR-JFK leg (and indeed no business at all in the UK domestic hop!))

Cheers
TT
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travellingtechie

And finally, can they book "complex" itineraries - for example MAN-LHR-JFK-BOS (where paying for business and the first upgrade is only relevant for the LHR-JFK leg (and indeed no business at all in the UK domestic hop!))

Cheers
TT
For a booking with BA you can buy the ticket for someone else and you do not have to travel. For a booking made via a TA you have to travel.

That complex itinenary wouldn't work. A booking can only contain BA metal flights or BA franchise operated flights only - the JFK-BOS leg would be on AA.

The full conditions are here if you want to read.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:30 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there only certain travel agents who can do this, as clearly they need access to your BAEC account to get the voucher details? How would I locate one?

Cheers
TT
No they don't need access to your account, they put a request through to BA.
Not sure what you mean by both people present, but no you can make it just like any other TA booking.
Yes, but you cannot have any other carriers on the booking (so no JFK-BOS).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both - so to clarify the entire booking has to be on BA operated flights, and not code-share ? (or is it just that other legs can't be upgraded)

Cheers
TT
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thanks both - so to clarify the entire booking has to be on BA operated flights, and not code-share ? (or is it just that other legs can't be upgraded)

Cheers
TT
From the rules linked earlier:
7.Gold Upgrade vouchers are available for British Airways and franchise operated flights only. Partner and codeshare flights excluded.
8.Gold Upgrade vouchers cannot be applied to a booking containing any other carriers than British Airways.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A booking can only contain BA metal flights or BA franchise operated flights only (e.g. Comair). If there is a BA codeshare on another carrier on the booking then you can't use your MFU on that booking.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I appreciate your patience, and sorry to go on ...
but this is odd because I know my friend has managed to use his GUF2 voucher on a booking that also involved an AA Flight - this was booked several months ago so the rules may have changed - it was booked through the BA call centre. Or is it different with a TA.

And on a related note; if not able to use on internal US flights, is it valid instead on ex-EU BA flights (eg AMS-LHR-JFK)

Cheers
TT
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:32 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but this is odd because I know my friend has managed to use his GUF2 voucher on a booking that also involved an AA Flight - this was booked several months ago so the rules may have changed - it was booked through the BA call centre. Or is it different with a TA.

And on a related note; if not able to use on internal US flights, is it valid instead on ex-EU BA flights (eg AMS-LHR-JFK)

Cheers
TT
No the rules have been that way for a while, however some have reported success in having it applied to a booking containing other carriers. It seems to be a somewhat manual process so may be mistakenly applied.

Yes you can apply it to any single booking, LAX-LHR-SIN-SYD return would also work.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

Cheers
TT
So I know that golfmad managed to get his trip booked using a GUF1 and that had BA codeshare (AA metal) flights. He documented his experience in this thread (link is to page 4): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ease-pm-4.html.

He used Amex Travel Services but I don't think he knows how he managed to get his trip ticketed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.