Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GUF2 - can someone suggest a travel agent please by PM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 5:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by golfmad
It still doesn't seem quite right to me but with a ticket number and having coughed up the cash surely it can't go wrong. Can it? My main concern is that - unlike all the evidence up thread - I have AA sectors on the PNR and upgraded TATL sectors.
I think you are ok, 125 is indeed a required starting number here. Is it showing on the App version of MMB? And/or is it showing in classic.checkmytrip.com? Alternative proof will also show up on the Amex statement online in a few days, just click the + button to see more information. I don't quite see how that happened either, but there's nothing obviously wrong with the ticket.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Sympathies Golfmad, i've just been thru a 3-day weight loss clinic waiting for ticketing of a mixed BA / AA.
I trusted the ticket number being given as the 'worry end' point. I checked at T3 AA counter on my way to another flight .
I think an e-mail arrived a couple of hours later.
As mine was 001 stock, it meant BA weren't the final actor. I was thus up to 80% happy when I could select seats on the BA sectors, some 6 hours previous ().

With these very tight ticketing rules on certain fares my instinct is BA / AA will respect the fare IF you have jumped the hoops, and its BA / AA back-offices playing ping pong. I think I was at 64 hours after getting itinerary e-mail when finally ticketing confirmed. I would be less confident in situation where a third party is involved (like Billinghamn's).

Either which way I will try to book at least 4 days pre deadline in future.

Do let us know what happens next.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think you are ok, 125 is indeed a required starting number here. Is it showing on the App version of MMB? And/or is it showing in classic.checkmytrip.com? Alternative proof will also show up on the Amex statement online in a few days. I don't quite see how that happened either, but there's nothing obviously wrong.
Nope, it's not in the current App version of MMB. Nor is it showing via the Beta version of the App (I'm one of the beta testers too).

It's not in classic.checkmytrip.com either. I checked some other PNRs just now and they have their ticket numbers appearing after 'traveller information' and before 'your flight selection'. For this PNR, the section called 'e-ticket numbers' is not there at all.

I am normally quite relaxed about this sort of thing provided I have a ticket number in a booking.

I think I'll call BA tomorrow just to be sure.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by littlefish
Sympathies Golfmad

Do let us know what happens next.
Thanks.

Will do.

There'a another twist to this which I've not even started to unravel yet as it's a secondary issue and I'm sure the GGL folks will be able to resolve it after the event. When I worked on this with AMEX I gave them a GUF1 voucher number to use.

When I look at my account, for some inexplicable reason, a different voucher (one of my GUF2s) has been used against this PNR. There's no way that the AMEX agent could have known the other voucher number so it must have been someone at BA who chose to apply the wrong voucher. Clearly, as I'm traveling alone, I would much rather use the GUF1 than the GUF2.

It's possible that someone at BA chose the GUF2 because it expires sooner that the GUF1 I wanted to use. They may not have realised the difference between a GUF1 and GUF2 and thought they were doing me a favour. I suspect it will get resolved.

The whole process does seem awfully complicated.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Very interesting read the latest threads here and I hope everyone gets their itineraries ticketed. My thoughts are around the process - maybe the GUF + TA approach is deliberately kept manual and difficult due to it being such a great deal? Pay for CW and travel F is a great benefit, especially when there are crazy sale fares involved.

Am looking forward to trying to book an open jaw ex EU with a GUF2 when I get it soon!
Old May 4, 2014, 1:28 pm

I called BA today and it has indeed been ticketed even though it still does not appear in MMB or classic.checkmytrip.com.

It does therefore seem possible - although perhaps not strictly within the rules - to include a GUF2 on a booking that includes non BA sectors.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Piggy backing on this thread.

Amex have just told me that I can't upgrade R class outbound and I class inbound to A - allegedly they need to be the same subclass (R both ways). I can't see anything in the rules to justify this- has anyone else seen this at all?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Have you tried FlyerTalk rule #1: HUACA?
Old May 15, 2014, 2:52 am

Can someone recommend a TA in SIN who can process GUF2 to a cash booking? My corporate agent doesn't have a clue...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Sorry for bringing up this thread from last month, but a quick question concerning the GUF2 and the underlying flights: it's stated that the PNR must only include BA flights... is this only BA "operated" flights or are BA codeshare flights okay too?

For example, MUC-LHR-JFK-YUL, where JFK-YUL is operated by AA but booked as a BA codeshare, would this be a valid PNR for upgrading the transatlantic flights with a GUF2 via TA?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Sorry for bringing up this thread from last month, but a quick question concerning the GUF2 and the underlying flights: it's stated that the PNR must only include BA flights... is this only BA "operated" flights or are BA codeshare flights okay too?

For example, MUC-LHR-JFK-YUL, where JFK-YUL is operated by AA but booked as a BA codeshare, would this be a valid PNR for upgrading the transatlantic flights with a GUF2 via TA?
In theory the answer is no. You cannot have any sectors on flights not operated by BA.

In practice it's a different answer. I have managed to book and fly a PNR that contained two AA operated sectors with BA codeshare numbers with upgraded (BA operated) transatlantic sectors via a GUF1. It was booked by AMEX for me but I don't know how they managed to do it and why nobody complained about the routing/codeshares.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I got tired of waiting for a CW sale so I booked ex-OSL flight to SYD in J and used my GUF2.

I phoned Amex Platinum and got put through to Travel Concierge. A delightful lady admitted that she had never done one of these but she did have a cheat sheet from a colleague. Took a while but now have a F booking to SYD at Ł2098 each Great result and now just have to work out where we can use the rest of our GUF2 vouchers! I said I would ask for her on my next GUF2 booking.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
Excellent travel agency for GUF

Those that, like me, do not have AMEX (i.e. non UK members) sometimes struggle to find a good and reliable travel agency to do the GUF, sometimes, rather complicated procedure.

Well, thanks to dutch_122, I found a really good agency and my OH and I are soon on our way to Rio in First, upgraded from a sale club ticket. The price for the tickets was exactly what I found on the BA site and the service charge was just 25 euros.

Not sure the rules of the forum allow naming the agency here but I will be more than welcome to give you the contact if you send me a private email.

I wish everyone happy travel in 2015.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:22 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
docsxx,

👍, good to hear, enjoy your trip.

Originally Posted by docsxx
Those that, like me, do not have AMEX (i.e. non UK members) sometimes struggle to find a good and reliable travel agency to do the GUF, sometimes, rather complicated procedure.

Well, thanks to dutch_122, I found a really good agency and my OH and I are soon on our way to Rio in First, upgraded from a sale club ticket. The price for the tickets was exactly what I found on the BA site and the service charge was just 25 euros.

Not sure the rules of the forum allow naming the agency here but I will be more than welcome to give you the contact if you send me a private email.

I wish everyone happy travel in 2015.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Dredging this one up: is it still the case GUFs can only be used on reservations containing only BA flight numbers? BA have a great fare ex-JKT, but there's no way to use a BA flight number JKT-SIN (and I can't route via HKG on the CX codeshare for timing reasons)...

How on earth are people supposed to use all these GUFs given the restrictions? I managed to use one in the last 18 months and it was nice, but even then it meant I couldn't buy a ticket to where I actually wanted to go...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.