Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I achieved Gold for the first time just before Christmas.

On each of the four Main Cabin flights I took with American Airlines after that, I was greeted by name and offered whatever I wanted, free of charge, from the trolley. And I was greeted by name on all the Business/First flights too.

On my first BA flight as a Gold member, I received no recognition at all, either at check-in or on board (not that I was expecting or wanted it). On my second BA flight I had a very awkward encounter with the CSM, who recited a "message from the executive Club", welcoming me to Gold, with no feeling or warmth whatsoever.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Is it route specific with AA?

Generally just fly J/F with them although my last couple of flights were Y from LAX-SFO and Y from SFO-JFK. Nothing on either of those.
Then again, nothing on the J flight from JFK-LAX either.

Not sure if trans-cons are ignored seeing how they do provide a food/drink service by default.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Is it route specific with AA?

Generally just fly J/F with them although my last couple of flights were Y from LAX-SFO and Y from SFO-JFK. Nothing on either of those.
Then again, nothing on the J flight from JFK-LAX either.

Not sure if trans-cons are ignored seeing how they do provide a food/drink service by default.
The main cabin flights on which I was offered complimentary snacks were San Antonio - Miami, Miami - Merida, Guatemala City - Miami and Miami to San Antonio. The cabin crew seemed very surprised when I politely declined the offer - perhaps I was the first passenger ever to turn down free food?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:31 am

Most recently in J & F longhaul I've had a welcome from CSD/CSM each time but done exceptionally well (as GCH). Did not feel scripted at all. Nothing in J shorthaul but wouldn't expect on short services.

By contrast have just taken 2 CX flights HKG/MEL, SYD/HKG had welcome from both 'plane manager' and 'cabin lead'. 3 of 4 read straight from Ipad and it was just plain awkward.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:43 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I always think that these sorts of greetings are rather like Birthday Wishes from your friends on Facebook. Less then 1% would have the slightest notion were it not for a reminder. These greetings and messages are, when well done, quite charming. When done by rote, it can be a bit clunky.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Very genuine 'welcome' by the CSD on recent TATL - I note 'welcome' since it came after the meal, consisting of the usual 'Welcome back Dr & Mrs CKBA...' followed by quite a good chat as to where we've been, where we're going, etc etc.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
BA15 before Christmas in WTP, no greeting. The general management of the flight was shambles with for example Sydney landing cards only being handed out 30 minutes before landing, running out and resulting In a mad dash for more cards. They came without any time to complete them before landing.

BA16 Jan 1 in WTP got a "greeting" at the end of the flight as I was supposedly sleeping earlier on.

I noticed on flights earlier this year the greeting more often comes at the end if the flight. Maybe an excuse for not having to deal with. Any requests?

Globalist

Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:02 am

Four recent TATL flights. Only on one route was a greeted and with this: "Thanks for sticking with British Airways, despite all the cuts."
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by travisw
Four recent TATL flights. Only on one route was a greeted and with this: "Thanks for sticking with British Airways, despite all the cuts."
Awesome greeting! Doesn’t get more sincere than that... The staff feel it, we feel it...

Would love if I would get a greeting like that rather than the usual reading off IPad speech that happens some time, and that is always awkward...
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:35 am

One of my interactions in recent times was a BA staffer telling me 'oh and for our meal we have.... (redacted to protect their identity)' and a wink.

Yes, all staff seem to realise how deep the cuts are going.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I've had a few greetings (10?) and all have been nice on BA and about 9 on CX (all really lovely). A wee bit embarrassing at first but I find a wee bit of chat back removes the "rote welcome".

Last long haul. PHL-LHR-GLA..... on the PHL-LHR route I was upgraded from WT+ to club. CSM came along (with what I thought was a welcome) and said "how are you today" and I said. "Really good thanks. It was lovely to get an upgrade to club". Then his face changed to one resembling someone who has just swallowed a wasp, then a quick 180 and walk of disgust that they had allowed a non-CW into his cabin.

I thought it was hilarious.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
No recognition at all yet again on all my recent flights.
Bar one upgrade, that's been the only thing from BA and not sure if that was operational or status related.
i have not been upgraded on any flight forb10 years now. I have been silver or gold in everyone of those years.

i cannot recall every being addressed by name on any flight in that time and have never received a personal greeting other than in First.

QR/AA/CX however do this so much better.
My last 8 s/h sectors have hardly raised a grunt
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Accor Platinum etc etc
QF2 business this week, two visits, one early on, one to check if things had been okay towards the end. This is in line with previous experiences on QF (I've even had the greeting in Y between MEL + NZ).

The one BA greeting I recall in 2017 was in ET to VIE in June. It was a good greeting, it came with two proactive offers of compo refreshments, so it can be done even with BoB. My only regret was that I wasn't drinking alcohol that day...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
I was greeted on both of last week's LH sectors (one F, one CW). I do appreciate the gesture especially when an effort is made to get my surname right as it's easily butchered by those unfamiliar with Portuguese etymology.

On the other hand, AA doesn't greet me by name but gives me complimentary BOB as a OWE. In ET, I still pay for my Coke
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Very happy to note that the cabin crew have completely respected my unspoken wishes to pass incognito. Very impressive service.
rossmacd and PaulJWoodgate like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.