Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC IT blooper on US Airways redemption....Beware?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

While playing the favourite infrequent fliers game of 'I'll see where I can go but never actually will' on the BAEC redemption search engine web page I found some seats on the 2nd June for a US Airlines flight from CLT to SXM....you know the Caribbean island where tourists spend their holiday hanging on to the airport perimeter fence.
Anyway, finding availability wasn't a problem. I could have got some seats in Economy at 10,000 Avios or some First seats at 30,000 Avios one way. Trouble is after selecting the First box and clicking on to the next page it tells me the flight chosen is in Economy Class but they still want 30,000 Avios.

I take it they do actually have a First Class cabin on that route and it's a mistake?
Old May 17, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
US is using two class domestic aircrafts on that route: domestic F and domestic Y. Not sure you wanna pay three times the price for domestic F with Avios.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:27 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
If your flight is operated with B757 with TATL C-class version (3 rows, sold as F on domestic/Caribbean flights) 30k are points well spent (there is a thread on the US Forum about TATL B757 used on non-TATL routes). If this is A319/320/321, it is then domestic F - still superior to CE (meals on US flights over 3 hours make BA Band 4 catering looking pathetic), but I would not spend 30k Avios.

EDIT - Unless you are BA Silver or Gold, you will not have US Airways Club access - domestic/Caribbean F does not entitle to lounge access.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by HIDDY

While playing the favourite infrequent fliers game of 'I'll see where I can go but never actually will' on the BAEC redemption search engine web page
HIDDY - if this is one of the benefits of early retirement I think I'll stay in paid employment for as long as possible.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
HIDDY - if this is one of the benefits of early retirement I think I'll stay in paid employment for as long as possible.

Just to clarify I had no intention of booking domestic F as the product on the ground as well as in the air is poor value compared to CE.
It was just a heads up for anyone that might be booking one and ends up with a ticket in economy. Not sure if it's just this route or all US Air domestic F routes that has this glitch or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.