Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs Qantas lounge at Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

BA vs Qantas lounge at Bangkok

Just a little piece of advice, if you have OW status, I would use the Qantas lounge over the BA lounge. No champagne in the BA lounge, not as much food as the Qantas lounge either. Not a bad lounge, but given the choice, the Qantas edges it.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Interesting, haven't tried it since the breakup. BA has the old BA/QF F lounge and QF the old BA/QF business class lounge which was a little bigger. I will give it a try, pappap647. There have been moans about the BA lounge on FT but it's OK.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The BA lounge does have Aussie Domaine Chandon but the QF lounge is open all day, has better food, a much better wine selection and is considerably more spacious. Only the showers are better on the BA side.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
So eat in one and shower in the other !

This is FlyerTalk. Dont restrict yourself to the one lounge.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
quick update

Currently (October 2014), Qantas lounge is only open in the afternoon for 3 hours. Consequently, the only other option for people flying on BA is the Cathay lounge as the flight leaves at 11.10am.

The breakfast in the BA lounge is quite poor - fruit, bread, yoghurt, bacon (did not look very fresh to me), sausages (more of the hotdog type rather than typical breakfast sausage).

The food in the Cathay lounge is not better either but there is a more substantial offering if you are hungry.

On an unrelated note, the ex BKK catering was quite weak in both meals which I am finding more and more common in ex BKK flights.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:45 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The BA lounge in BKK is currently closed for renovation. Not sure what the designated lounge is now?

Also the CX loungr next door is closed for renovation. Not sure if they are being combined or if BA has another new lounge somewhere else in the airport?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:48 am

Ah that explains why I couldn't find it! The check in didn't mention it and I didn't have a lot of time anyway so just went to the gate.

Catering in WTP really was poor - especially the second service. One of the worst meals I've had on a plane in any class for a while. Bring a picnic!

Also point to note that currently there aren't any express trains to BKK. The stopping train was fine and a bargain 35 baht but allow a little extra longer for this
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
The Qantas lounge is the best of OW at BKK actually, there's a temporary cathay's and JAL's but they're small and poor. Check oneworld.com for QF opening times, they vary day by day.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC
I flew out of BKK last week on MH in J at ~11am. The BA lounge was indeed closed, and I think the QF lounge opposite was the designated lounge for BA pax - it's a nice lounge, but near the BA boarding time, it get quite crowded.

I much preferred the smaller CX lounge next door, which as well as having tarmac views, had better food (lots of Asian stuff). I also noticed too late a further CX lounge around the corner next to the JL lounge (which also has quite restricted opening hours). So there are quite a few OW lounge options. All seemed to be join F & J lounges.

Sadly, MH send their J pax to the awful Louis Tavern lounge (not even the F section, which is equivalent to a poor version of the Terraces), but the very crowded J section.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
shefgab - maybe we were on the same flight. Was on an MH departure last week, but back in Y. BA Golds also get the same Louis Tavern option, but have to say the food options there for breakfast aren't all that bad.

Flying back on BA, I was told that the BA lounge was closed, permanently, or at least with no timescale for it to reopen. Apparently the same is true of the CX lounge in pier G (i.e. next to the BA one).

JL lounge closes at 0955 in the morning too.

Would recommend the QF lounge for its size, good quality beverages, albeit if departing on the BA departure, the breakfast isn't out of this world. Deep fried croquet monsieur is a bit bizarre too.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
BA Bangkok lounge (former QF/BA First space) has closed.

CX is taking the space over and will combine it with one of its existing lounges, then close the other one.

See:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacif...ipei-vancouver
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was at BKK yesterday. Don't even bother going to the CX lounge near concourse D, it's tiny and cramped. In comparison the QF lounge (Business) was empty and spacious.

I managed to get a shot of the new CX lounge and the old BW First lounges, behind the hoarding:

The BA lounge space

And it looks like Cathay Pacific have quite a long way to go with their new lounge:

Clearly it's all one space but I don't think that there will be a new lounge at BKK anytime soon.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
I was there at the weekend & spoke to the lady who managed the now closed BA lounge.
I'm not sure if both BA & Quantas lounges are under the same management but she told me that works were due for completion by May so they must really be giving the place a right doing. I assumed that BA would move back in until I saw the comments above from moa999 stating that CX will be taking it.
I was on BA10 & though the lounge offering was poor but was a feast to the slop served in WTP.
I was hungry & still couldn't eat much of what I was served inflight.
Quality was dire & reminded me of school dinners of old

ps.
I couldn't find any computers to use in the lounge. Are there any?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by KenJohn
So eat in one and shower in the other !

This is FlyerTalk. Dont restrict yourself to the one lounge.
Agree entirely, did this last year with shower in BA SIN lounge and drinks in QF lounge.
Same applies to doing lounge crawls, ^
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Ex-BKK last month in club I received a very bland meal and a salad that was frozen. I could bite through the ice.

The quality of meals on BA is becoming more and more dire and this time I actually bothered to tell them. I received a standard reply from BA thanking me for my feedback, that they take meal service seriously and they wish to see me continue to fly BA.

Of course normally I now try to avoid BA especially on long haul. the only reason I could not fly CX or QR this time was lack of time. I needed a direct flight as this was my third back to back job after Kuwait and Spain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.