Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA codeshare on Flybe/Loganair Scottish flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.

Just done a Jolly up to the Orkneys from London. Loved all the local Loganair crews , especially when the pilot took us on a scenic detour round the old Man of Hoy on a sunny evening BUT what is the point of the BA codeshare when it doesn't function in terms of seat allocation and on line check in? Surely a bit of software could sort this or am I being naive. it's like BA claims the bookability but there it stops. What do the Locals make of this arrangement? I also miss the BA colours on the twin Otter!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
It's typical when you book a codeshare that the seat allocation and check-in is handled by the operating airline. As Loganair operates as a Flybe franchise then it's likely Flybe systems are used for this.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Not aware of seat allocation on the twotter. It has always been turn up and find a seat.
On the SAABs yes there is seat allocation.
At least you can buy a hot drink on the SAABs -hot drinks often not supplied when they operated as a BA franchisee.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Even during the days when Loganair was a fully fledged BA franchisee, boarding passes were issued in a similar way as this...

Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I remember the very first time I caught the twotter to Barra, I was through checked from Gatwick, with a seat assignment, didn't rush at the gate, and crew smiled when she saw my BP and said ah.... Just sit where ever.... Then she got in to the right hand pilots seat....
Happy days.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EB Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Accor Silver
I find it really annoying that you have to start your flight in London or beyond to book the code share. Start your journey at any Scottish airport and it's no code share, no lounge, no tier points, no avois. Thanks for that BA.
fishflyer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:49 pm

there is a reason for it but I just recall what it was
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ah Loganair....operators of the flying shed.

I remember turning up at PIK one holiday weekend to fly with them to the IOM only to find they'd oversold the flight by 75%. "Och don't worry we've arranged for the aircraft to return and pick the rest of you up.....it'll be back by the time you've had a wee cup of tea". That's all right then the gathered throng said.

No compensation culture back in those days.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by sph77
I find it really annoying that you have to start your flight in London or beyond to book the code share. Start your journey at any Scottish airport and it's no code share, no lounge, no tier points, no avois. Thanks for that BA.
Booking LON-BRR through BA seems such a bad deal anyway. You can get the flying shed much cheaper if you book the legs separately, of course then there's issues with missed connections.

It's a shame you can't book the code share at a reasonable price.

As for lounge access a dummy booking GLA-BRR on flybe.com showed me a fare of £77 which included lounge access (which one do they use? I'm sure the flybe lounge closed) and fast track security.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by allturnleft
BUT what is the point of the BA codeshare when it doesn't function in terms of seat allocation and on line check in?
Codeshares have nothing to do with that, it is to do with the right to sell seats and market them - and that is about it! As others have said, with any codeshare, that is invaribaly done with the operating airline.

Surely a bit of software could sort this or am I being naive.
If you are being serious, then yes you are being naive.

Sure it could probably be achieved, but it is hard to justify the dev, build and test, etc, plus ongoing support to keep it working to interface the systems, etc.

What do the Locals make of this arrangement?
I'd imagine most people are glad that at least through ticketing is still possible, and the tourism and travel benefits of being able to book it under a BA code when making onward travel.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Ah Loganair....operators of the flying shed.

I remember turning up at PIK one holiday weekend to fly with them to the IOM only to find they'd oversold the flight by 75%. "Och don't worry we've arranged for the aircraft to return and pick the rest of you up.....it'll be back by the time you've had a wee cup of tea". That's all right then the gathered throng said.

No compensation culture back in those days.
Airlines were also a lot more accommodating in those days too (and probably far less profitable if they had a plane hanging around to fit an extra rotation in). The compensation came after the airlines started being naughty...

My limited experience of Loganair flights even under BA codes was pretty painful for seat assignments and then even SS couldn't get them changed at LHR.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:52 am

Booked through FlyBe (since I start in Scotland) and they do have seat selection for the twin otter, with the most adorable little seat map ever:

although whether this will have any correspondence to reality I won't be able to confirm until next month.
jfallesen likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Great seat plan of otter!

Yes it's very odd the 2 companies don't allow access to each other's seat plans.
On the way up I was auto allocated the dreaded row 3 on the Saab without windows! Via BA which stated these had been allocated by the carrier and unable to change. The check in guys at Kirkwall had absolutely no control on the seat numbers BA generated and said passengers frequently got seated apart for their layer BA segment. Luckily I could check in for the BA segment in advance but not the flybe for the return journey
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC blue, CX Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Le Club Accor Plat
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
although whether this will have any correspondence to reality I won't be able to confirm until next month.
It didn't when we flew to Barra, it was a case of just find a seat
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sph77
You're telling me you don't like FlyBe Rewards4All?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.