Community
Wiki Posts
Search

N.American availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

N.American availability

Know there are many many threads about availability but trying to use a 241 Amex voucher for J or F to go N.America (other than flying into NYC) seems to now be almost impossible. I've never seen it so bad for redemption.. usually I'd find at least a few date options into Denver for December but even now looking at other hubs and then to get to denver everything looks v v limited.. is it now the standing policy of BA to basically just make you get to NY and then make you buy another ticket through AA or similar by not releasing any availability .. even when you look for last min options closer to now there just seems to be not a lot.. have been looking over the last three months wondering if they were holding back availability bcos of sales etc but doesnt seem to be getting any better...or am I just missing things?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
no not missing anything, It seems to me that availability has drastically reduced.

maybe its all taken up, but 12-18 months ago there was a lot more
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:19 am

So much for the idea that gold card holders hog all the avios seats--there are none to book in the first place.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Dead as a Dead Thing ... been looking UK-IAD for weeks for a Fall trip. Nada, zilch, etc.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA soon to be Silver
N.American availability

It's really really tight, but things do appear for those who persist and are patient.
I bagged LHR-LAS 241 out in F and back in J for next week, last October. And also the same route out in J and back in W for next January, at the beginning of March. It requires luck, patience and persistence, but I grant you it is ridiculously limited now...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Yes - I think that across the board availability has got worse recently and it really does seem that you have to book months and months out.

Previously you would be able to get some choice even a couple of months away but especially in J and F this is now nearly impossible. The only way I can get bookings with Avios is to use the GGL jokers.

Maybe with more frequencies on some routes and the use of bigger planes etc it will improve a bit but BA is there to make money at the end of the day so if they can sell the seats then they by and large will!

FD.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There is some availability to IAD at the start of September ( too early for fall?) but in October practically nothing.

I have managed to get reward seats to Toronto ( F one way and CW return) but nothing to the West coast.

I did manage to get CW fights to PHX in Feb ( booked just before christmas)

There is also nothing to the West coast at the end of May ( thinking about the san diego half marathon )

Availability does seem worse this year resulting in having to book earlier.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA soon to be Silver
N.American availability

It just seems very random now - indeed as VS has always been. I'm afraid that I no longer buy the fact that seats open up at T-355 or whatever, and if there are none there, then somebody got there before me. I think they can appear - or not - at absolutely any point from T-355 to T!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
There is some availability to IAD at the start of September ( too early for fall?) but in October practically nothing.
Yup ... we could get there ... but couldn't get home, basically!

I'm being patient.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot

There is also nothing to the West coast at the end of May ( thinking about the san diego half marathon )
There are a few outbound options to IAH in the last week of May. @:-)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Corpt
There are a few outbound options to IAH in the last week of May. @:-)
Hi,

Thanks for that Corpt!^ Will have a look but it is still a bit of a way from IAH to SAN.

Also thinking of the Santa Clause Half marathon in Rovaneimi Finland in mid June

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by prof
So much for the idea that gold card holders hog all the avios seats--there are none to book in the first place.
Unless they booked them all already! Xmas availability will have been book able for 3 months plus now. We won't see the full impact (if there is any) for some time

There was loads of availability released for Xmas in March of last year, due to the skiing though I suspect DEN is never easy at that time
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: ABBA
I'm about to UUA to J an IAD return next week, TA will ticket in a few hours and then away we go.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Yes - I think that across the board availability has got worse recently and it really does seem that you have to book months and months out.
There is nothing to book months in advance... BA is simply not releasing any award seats.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko

There is nothing to book months in advance... BA is simply not releasing any award seats.
Not entirely true. There is some availability on some routes, but certainly vastly reduced and not easy to find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.