Wiki Posts
Search

Booking two award flights for same day

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Booking two award flights for same day

I booked a one-way for two people using Avios on US Airways for a flight in July. I'd prefer to go later in the day, but currently there is only one seat available for the later flight. What is the risk in my booking the later flight for 1 (same name as one of the two), and hoping for a second seat to open up and cancelling if it doesn't?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Paying the cancellation or change fees. Or risk of forgetting to cancel one.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nux
Paying the cancellation or change fees. Or risk of forgetting to cancel one.
Yep, I'm fine with that. Any risk of BA/US not liking my having two one-ways for the same person on the same day?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've done exactly the same for two AA flights in July.

I doubt there'll be any problems, but interested to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I did this on AA last November. In domestic first as well. The loss of Avios was well worth the convenience of getting to the destination early.

BA does not really monitor bookings per you BAEC account. They will get concerned if you have more than one booking on the same flight but they do not check for this until really late. I've had both Avios and cash reservations for the same flight for a short period of time; normally during a BA sale.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Well here's perfect proof of why a lot of people think the canx fee has been bought in/ increased!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Well here's perfect proof of why a lot of people think the canx fee has been bought in/ increased!
Makes no difference. It is less than 24 hours before the flight so no refund was possible. No change to that rule.

BA got a reduction in their Avios liability, AA got to upgrade two ExecPlat members based on my Avios instead of for free. I lost on my Avios but was happy to do so. Everyone wins.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Makes no difference. It is less than 24 hours before the flight so no refund was possible. No change to that rule.

BA got a reduction in their Avios liability, AA got to upgrade two ExecPlat members based on my Avios instead of for free. I lost on my Avios but was happy to do so. Everyone wins.
I was referring to dukerau's OP, I'd agree in your case where its done the same day there is no impact whatsoever bar your loss of Avios
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Angry

Originally Posted by KenJohn

Unfortunately not 'Every wins' - what about those who can't get Avios availability because some selfish sod is holding 2 bookings?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.