Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does BA's treatment of its frequent flyers imply an abuse of market power?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does BA's treatment of its frequent flyers imply an abuse of market power?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by luckyjim
I think there are far more obvious indicators of market power than the issue you mention. The fuel surcharge policy for one. There may not be outright (and illegal) collusion but is an oligopoly at best.
Fully agree. The reason I started a new thread was to try to distinguish this issue from today's events. I agree that the YQ charges are the most egregious example.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by BasilBush

As a UK resident with varying travel patterns, the only sensible frequent flyer scheme for me to focus on is BA's EC. Other schemes may work for certain geographical destinations, but only BA can realistically offer me the range and depth of services. If I'm to focus on a single FF scheme - and that's the ultimate objective of loyalty schemes - it's difficult to consider anything other than the EC.
Given your status and travel patterns this may be true for you personally, but I can't see this is true for all UK based frequent flyers.

I travel on BA more regularly than any other airline, use the lounges and use Avios for upgrades but the terms of BAEC do not work for me and my lifetime TPs are zero. If I credited my flights to BAEC I would currently be OW Ruby instead of Silver, and I absolutely refuse to pay the scandalous fees for long-haul redemptions.

BAEC is not the only option.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
I am not a competition lawyer but maybe some readers of this thread are. Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is there a germ of an argument here? If there is evidence of market abuse, what would be the first steps in getting the competition authorities to take this further? It would be good to put a shot across the bows of BA - after all, the threat of a fine of up to 10% of annual turnover is much more likely to be effective than any number of letters to Franck van der Post.
I would say barking up the wrong tree I'm afraid.

One initial reason would be that there is no obligation to make use of BAEC if you fly BA. Many travellers choose to credit their miles to other OW FF programs and more may do so in the future if they are unhappy with changes to BAEC.

The important point is that consumers have both a choice of airlines and a choice of FF schemes even when flying on BA. For instance: if you don't like the new BAEC rules then switch to AA or CX. Anyone earning enough miles to reach BA Gold should also reach AA EXP / CX Diamond (and may well get a status match on CX - unsure on AA). Neither charge cancellation fees for their emerald members. Both offer benefits that BA do not (open doors on CX for instance).

I can't really think of many industries where one can spend one's cash with company A and accrue benefit with company B and expend that benefit with company C when not directly spending any money with companies B or C. The industry seems to be functioning pretty well and I doubt it is even remotely likely to be investigated for competition abuse.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CCayley
Indeed, but the fact that airlines offer frequent flier benefits implies they are attempting to compete with one another. If BA really thought it had an enormous captive market of frequent fliers who had no choice but to fly BA, the logical response would be to scrap the Executive Club altogether. And if BA did that I can't see how competition law would interfere - an airline surely can't be required to operate a frequent flyer scheme.
That's not really the point I was trying to make. Basically I'm struggling to find a plausible explanation as to why the EC has a number of negative features that other FF schemes don't/can't get away with. Such as excessive YQ charges, poor availability of awards/upgrades, lack of same day standby etc. Maybe I'm wrong in attributing it to imperfect competition, but do wonder how they continue to get away with it. The US example, however flawed, tends to imply that customers attach value to these benefits, but EC members just seem to meekly accept the disadvantages.

Maybe like PhilWW I should start crediting to AA! But I do have a very large stack of Avios to work through!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BA Silver, formerly VS and MY (TATL only) when UK resident.

BA is helpful living in JER, with CW baggage allowances on the x-Channel and Lounge access as a Silver. So I've been 'loyal' for the last 8 years. But, as the BA negatives pile up (thanks, FT) I do really start to wonder why. I need to spend some time doing comparisons, but my 'faith' in BA is somewhat damaged.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I would say barking up the wrong tree I'm afraid.

One initial reason would be that there is no obligation to make use of BAEC if you fly BA. Many travellers choose to credit their miles to other OW FF programs and more may do so in the future if they are unhappy with changes to BAEC.

The important point is that consumers have both a choice of airlines and a choice of FF schemes even when flying on BA. For instance: if you don't like the new BAEC rules then switch to AA or CX. Anyone earning enough miles to reach BA Gold should also reach AA EXP / CX Diamond (and may well get a status match on CX - unsure on AA). Neither charge cancellation fees for their emerald members. Both offer benefits that BA do not (open doors on CX for instance).

I can't really think of many industries where one can spend one's cash with company A and accrue benefit with company B and expend that benefit with company C when not directly spending any money with companies B or C. The industry seems to be functioning pretty well and I doubt it is even remotely likely to be investigated for competition abuse.
You make a convincing argument! It looks like I am barking up the wrong tree on the competition law point, but I am still puzzled by how BA gets away with high YQs etc etc.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
That set me thinking that maybe BA's (and the EC's) market position is so strong that they feel they can get away with behaviour/actions that would not be possible in a well-functioning competitive market. If so, that could amount to abuse of BA's market power, and might be grounds for a competition inquiry.
I always find these arguments amusing in that what options would a competition really have to effect change?

One option would be the break up of BA into a number of smaller airlines but this seems to go against present thinking and these smaller airlines would be vunerable to be taken over by bigger airlines. In addition the route network which is BA's biggest asset would be lost.

Another approach would be as suggested before is to keep BA but strip their LHR slots and auction them off to the highest bidder, how I would suspect there would be legal implications in stripping a private business of its assets.

There are those that argue that legacy carriers have too much power as it is difficult to establish a new airline (ask SRB) but name me a goverment who would be prepared to sacrifice their flag carrier for the sake of open competition. In the USA there are no one national flag carrier for the goverment to protect in the same way.

In summary, a competition inquiry ain't going to happen as would have no real power to do anthing.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold PC Platinum
i'm amazed at this thread in some ways.

BAEC has improved beyond all recognition in the last 5 years with the introduction of more tier points, 200% mileage for all fares for Silver and Gold + great value confirmed upgrades.....frankly i'd rather pay 50-70 quid and get a guaranteed Biz seat rather than go through the demeaning scrum so beloved of the Yanks to get a gate upgrade!!

The paid upgrades are also a great route for reaching Gold for me whereas I used to typically end up on 800-1100 points each year.

BA is a global airline with global competition and I personally see little or no evidence of market abuse...quite the opposite in fact.

Talk of class action suits is frankly depressing and another American import we could do without.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am still puzzled by how BA gets away with high YQs etc etc.
On redemptions they are now called carrier imposed service charges and depend on which airline you fly with whether they are charged or not.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Yes.
A friend of mine hit conformance, but it was very very busy, and he didn't get to the gate in time. Fair enough, worse things happen.
But the airline refused to help, despite him being a regular every two weeks, with multiple forward bookings, etc.
BA wanted to charge him over £300.00 single for the hop to Glasgow......
Luckily he gave me a ring and we got him on a Virgin flight for around £100.00
I have also noticed a complete lack of upgrade availability and no sight of poug upgrades on my upcoming flights.
Maybe all signs that we are moving out of recession and BA tightening up.....
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I think a better example that might have traction from today's events is the arbitrary raising of phone booking and change/canx fees to £35, from £25.

As I understand it, the authorities' stance on this in similar areas is that such charges must be fair and reasonable and represent the cost of providing the service.

Well since my travel agent charges £30 for this sort of service, and uses it to underpin profit, then one would have thought £35 is significantly over-the-odds (this isn't just BA of course).
The weak point, therefore, could be the fairness of the level of the charge across the industry.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As a UK resident with varying travel patterns, the only sensible frequent flyer scheme for me to focus on is BA's EC. Other schemes may work for certain geographical destinations, but only BA can realistically offer me the range and depth of services. If I'm to focus on a single FF scheme - and that's the ultimate objective of loyalty schemes - it's difficult to consider anything other than the EC.
I cannot se why it is a given that being based in the UK that that the BA scheme is the only sensible scheme. How, for example, would it be silly to credit to AA scheme for example?

This reads more like a blinkered view on schemes ( which is great for BA ) rather than BA being able to abuse its position
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:30 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Booked Award ticket with LX to TYO in business one way and YQ was €235 plus the other taxes total was €286.

Other carriers like LH/LX/KL/AF do exactly the same as BA does.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
If you are really worried about some of the recent changes at BA, may I direct your attention to NZ, QF, DL, AF and LH - all of which have made far more drastic changes than anything seen at BA. NZ and QF in particular have made some pretty nasty changes which dwarf anything happening on this side of the world. DL is very much leading the charge for all revenue measures on the other side of the Atlantic (although appear to be on a quest to improve service), and finally AF and LH who have made their programmes lukewarm at best.

Whilst I am not a fan of the changes and even less so about the pitiful amount of notice we have all been given, perhaps these recent changes are not to be too bad in the overall scheme of things.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
D'oh! It just gets worse and worse.
So that's all right then....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.