Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your cabin bag doesn't fit the size gauge sir. the Ba431 AMS-LHR (21/03/2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your cabin bag doesn't fit the size gauge sir. the Ba431 AMS-LHR (21/03/2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Fully support BA - the limits are there for a reason - and should be enforced for everybody!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:35 am

Just make the width/height of the mouth of the x ray machines at security the same size as the max allowed.

If your bag doesn't fit, go back and have a rethink in departures.

It would sort the problem out overnight...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Glad
Actually, while I'm on the subject I thought there could be some sort of lounge where you go and get settled in and fall asleep before your flight, then some sort of forklift truck comes along, picks you all up, stacks you, and loads you on the aircraft, still asleep. You are then unloaded the other end and woken up.

I can't see any pitfalls with any of that.
"Sorry NeverFirst, your family was not loaded at Heathrow. Please head over to the Lost Family desk and fill in the appropriate paperwork. You're family should be back with you within 3 days. In the meantime, please have this pre-paid Visa card with which you can rent a replacement family."

Last edited by Paralytic; Mar 21, 2014 at 10:38 am
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the guy grabbed his big bag and legged it on to the aircraft with staff in pursuit then it's little wonder they didn't show him any leniency.

If he was a Flyertalker I'm sure his version of events would have been slightly different.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:52 am

Maybe BA should start issuing 'Overhead bin' luggage tags instead of the under seat versions. Then any non-tagged bags either go under the pax seat or have to be checked.

Mind you, I wouldn't put it past some folk to tear them off others' bags so they can remove them and place their own up top.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Just make the width/height of the mouth of the x ray machines at security the same size as the max allowed.

If your bag doesn't fit, go back and have a rethink in departures.

It would sort the problem out overnight...
I like the pilot's solution Simple and effective.

I think people will think twice after missing conformance too

However, currently the T5 security uses different sized 'buckets' as you would well know. It could cause a bit of a problem if the machines need the buckets and the solution is without the buckets.

So, why don't we actually have the gauge sized buckets instead (including the girth bit, i.e. depth of the bucket), and if they don't fit properly, it's not coming on board.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Anyone not checking a bag should be made to pay £10 extra.
HBO is arse-about-face IMHO. Shorthaul should have CBO (Checked Baggage Only) fares instead - you'd strictly be allowed one small personal item (as with the second cabin bag now) to carry on only, plus a checked bag. I would be happy to pay a premium to have a HBO fare which meant I didn't have to wait for slow baggage handling or risk losing my case, using the current generous hand luggage baggage allowance. People who don't care could make their saving by checking a bag instead of carrying it on.

I'd love to believe BA could determine the cost of the extra baggage handling from this was ultimately less than the delays incurred with excess hand baggage and would instigate this policy. But, alas, it's not going to happen, is it?

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
For instance, my suitcase is exactly the dimensions specified by BA. It is made from aluminium
I have exactly the same case. Your stance is ludicrous IMHO. It fits in the baggage gauge (I've proved it). It get scratched going in and out of overhead bins twice a flight far more than from occasional sizers. Big deal!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
good to see the rules being enforced

for too long , too many pax have abused a quite generous hand baggage allowance

this topic has been raised several times in other threads , too much hand baggage resulting in increased stress levels whilst boarding and finding seats and in a recent thread pax being bumped and knocked by others baggage

so roll out across the board a strict adherence to the rules and hopefully it will result in a more comfortable and stress free flight for all concerned (pax and CC )

I do agree however that hold baggage reclaim times have to be improved
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Maybe BA should start issuing 'Overhead bin' luggage tags instead of the under seat versions. Then any non-tagged bags either go under the pax seat or have to be checked.

Mind you, I wouldn't put it past some folk to tear them off others' bags so they can remove them and place their own up top.
Do they not already do this? I'm sure i've seen them in EDI, and my wife was dinged on a bag there and had to check it (as Mr CWS notes - a US style wheelie as that is where we travel the most and never have issues - 20" but with those wheels poking out, no way jose...i'm changing to a CWS style bag in the near future (edit to add): as we should have known better, and yes i agree with everyone else that we simply just should have made sure it fits on BA before chancing it).
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Do they not already do this? I'm sure i've seen them in EDI, and my wife was dinged on a bag there and had to check it (as Mr CWS notes - a US style wheelie - 20" but with those wheels poking out, no way jose...i'm changing to a CWS style bag in the near future!).
The green and blue tag, I believe, means "approved cabin baggage". The yellow one means "under the seat in front of you only" (not allowed in the overhead locker).

They could instead put the yellow ones that say "approved for overhead locker". It will then make it nearly impossible for people to cheat by taking it off, whereas the yellow tag can just be taken off. Make it flimsy so that they can't be transferred to another bag also.

I like my sizer bucket solution though!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The green and blue tag, I believe, means "approved cabin baggage". The yellow one means "under the seat in front ........

I like my sizer bucket solution though!
Thanks LTN! Looks like i may be working remotely for my company from Scotland now (woohoo!), so i'll get to keep on flying and find out what all the fuss is about first hand (since no one seems to care in the US!).
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
what really irritates me, is I use a small thin, very light backpack, really just a cheap gym bag with one strap, and I throw my laptop etc into it and throw it in the overhead. Then someone from the other side of the plane comes over, and just throws in a bulky wheelie right on top of it.

Delighted that they're standing firm on this, and would be delighted if it became MUCH stricter. Getting rid of this ridiculous second bag allowance would also be great. If you have a gigantic wheelie bag, I'm sure a handbag could fit into it...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:11 am

What I wonder is why the FT BA forum is full of people who are so intent that their fellow passengers experience such hassles. What motivates you to wish so much ill-will on other passengers? Why do you get so much glee at other people suffering?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by zkzkz
What I wonder is why the FT BA forum is full of people who are so intent that their fellow passengers experience such hassles. What motivates you to wish so much ill-will on other passengers? Why do you get so much glee at other people suffering?
I for one DO NOT wish my fellow travellers any ill will whatsoever

if everyone sticks to the rules it will result in less stressful travel all round for everyone
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
I for one DO NOT wish my fellow travellers any ill will whatsoever

if everyone sticks to the rules it will result in less stressful travel all round for everyone
^ Aye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.