Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your cabin bag doesn't fit the size gauge sir. the Ba431 AMS-LHR (21/03/2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your cabin bag doesn't fit the size gauge sir. the Ba431 AMS-LHR (21/03/2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens

Prof Porter was right, you do have to choose between cost focus and differentiated and being in the middle doesn't work.
Whilst I agree with this, Porter didn't say that you can't blend the generic strategies but you have to choose a primary and a secondary. So you need to know if your primary strategy is cost focus or differentiation (service or product). Then make sure that your secondary approach never conflicts with the primary. That is the problem in the BA approach I think. I also think that BA seems to be laying claim to all 3 simultaneously which can never work.

For a long time BA has been focussed on product differentiation in longhaul F, J and W and somewhat confused in shorthaul and longhaul Y. Now the approach just seems confused across the board. So there is product differentiation happening to an extent in the new aircraft (mainly in F), a claim of service differentiation which seems largely unfulfilled and a relentless focus on cost. I cant easily tell which is the primary strategy and nor I think can BA.

My best guess is Cost Focus is primary across the board but this is totally incompatible with any real attempt at following the other 2 generic strategies.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HilFly
I don't believe buying an extra seat buys you an extra luggage allowance, checked or cabin. Nor does it get you a meal, TPs or avios. These things are all per person, not per seat.

I happen to think that Business & F should have a higher hand luggage allowance than economy, as it used to do, but until BA make that change, I will abide by the existing rules. If BA were to revisit hand luggage allowances for various cabins, I don't think the premium allowance would go up. The economy allowance would go down.
Have you ever tested this? I can't say I have either but it doesn't seem entirely clear cut.

If I buy an extra seat for my Cello doesn't that imply that I can actually accommodate my cello in addition to my normal hand luggage? If I can do that for a Cello why not a suit carrier? Does my Cello have to go under the seat in front or the overhead?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Land of Miles

Porter didn't say that you can't blend the generic strategies but you have to choose a primary and a secondary. So you need to know if your primary strategy is cost focus or differentiation (service or product). Then make sure that your secondary approach never conflicts with the primary. That is the problem in the BA approach I think.
Exactly what I meant ^

I haven't seen a clear strategy at BA for a while, it seems to be a blend based on dominance at Heathrow and I expect some kind of correction by market forces in due course.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Have you ever tested this? I can't say I have either but it doesn't seem entirely clear cut.

If I buy an extra seat for my Cello doesn't that imply that I can actually accommodate my cello in addition to my normal hand luggage? If I can do that for a Cello why not a suit carrier? Does my Cello have to go under the seat in front or the overhead?
One thing is for sure, Ryanair will sell you a seat to accommodate your cello

Smaller musical items such as a cello, guitar, violin or viola which exceed our cabin baggage dimensions may be carried in the cabin if a seat for it has been reserved and the appropriate fare paid. There is no checked or cabin baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.

To book an extra seat for an item the word "ITEM SEAT" must be entered as the surname and "EXTRA" must be entered at the first name. EXTRA ITEM SEAT will then be displayed on the reservation and online boarding pass. The accompanying passenger's travel document details must be entered during the online check- in process. Spanish Resident and Large Family Discount is not applicable on EXTRA seats.

Reserved seating in emergency rows 1,16 and 17 may not be purchased if you have purchased an extra seat for item/comfort/broken leg.

You must also fully comply with Article 8 of our Terms & Conditions of Carriage (
Interesting to note that the cello is neither checked nor hand luggage, but seems to be a passenger!

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; Mar 24, 2014 at 9:50 pm Reason: To add last sentence
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Just make the width/height of the mouth of the x ray machines at security the same size as the max allowed.

If your bag doesn't fit, go back and have a rethink in departures.

It would sort the problem out overnight...
That's fine when BA are the only carrier. It was tried in the USA with one of their carriers and they had to change it as other carriers were more generous.

My own thinking is that BA were quite right,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.