Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your cabin bag doesn't fit the size gauge sir. the Ba431 AMS-LHR (21/03/2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your cabin bag doesn't fit the size gauge sir. the Ba431 AMS-LHR (21/03/2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Well, yes. You have an additional gripe there in that QF's policy you described is daft. BA's hand luggage limits are among the most generous in the industry.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by stifle
You have an additional gripe there in that QF's policy you described is daft.
True, but I accepted their limit by buying a ticket and turning up for their flight, so I have to respect it. I can ask them to change it but I can't just ignore them. If I ignored it, it'd be a bit like moving to a country and ignoring their law just because I don't like it.

The Australian regulators are pretty hot on hand luggage weight too, so I suspect QF tend to be fairly strict with it because of that. Having said that, their subsidiary Jetstar allows 10 kg per piece.

BA's hand luggage limits are among the most generous in the industry.
Indeed - I cannot think of any airline that allows more than 23 kg of hand luggage.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 23, 2014 at 10:32 am
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
100% behind BA on this one. This has been coming for a while and is right up there with cyclist-red-light-jumpers.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Seachain
100% behind BA on this one. This has been coming for a while and is right up there with cyclist-red-light-jumpers.
I'm 100% behind BA on this too, although I would say it is right up there with traffic that waits at lights in the cyclists-only green box
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Maybe BA should start issuing 'Overhead bin' luggage tags instead of the under seat versions. Then any non-tagged bags either go under the pax seat or have to be checked.

Mind you, I wouldn't put it past some folk to tear them off others' bags so they can remove them and place their own up top.
BA do have such tags. An officious check in clerk at ARN stuck one on my bag two weeks ago, after insisting I fit my bag into the sizing cage. It fit perfectly without a millimeter to spare in any dimension. I have left the tag on.

She was genuinely surprised when it did, "it's so big" she said. That is true, she did say just that. She was also swedish and blonde.

Last edited by IncidentalTourist; Mar 23, 2014 at 12:10 pm Reason: More details
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by BugAlugs
Bit of boarding drama today. A male passenger refusing to check in his oversized hand baggage. He maintains it will fit in the overhead locker.

He was pursued down the gate after it failed the cabin baggage size check at the top of the gate. A nice little heated debated but the ground crew and then cabin crew all agents of BA stood firm.

1a joined in indicating he didn't have any problems and it would be fine to use his allocation of overhead space. Purser was having none of that. (good job she did as 1d and f arrived with bags a few moments later)

So the bags never made it past row one, promises of the most serious complaints to be made about everyone and the gent has retired to the back of the plane.

Literally the only drama have had on a flight for many months.

But whilst I might sit here and think "good for you team, fair is fair" other passengers can be seen disagreeing with BAs firmness

And we will take off early still :-D I need a Gin!

I flew on Sunday from a European city to Heathrow and was sitting in 1D in Club Europe. Just before departure, the dispatcher came on board with the final paperwork and the CSD or whatever they are called ripped another a*srhole in the dispatcher for not having any of the hand luggage tagged with green or yellow tags. They advised that it made her crew's job impossible and slowed up the boarding process as they couldn't enforce where bags were placed. So whilst I do agree with BA on this, you could get the pax flying from where I did today and be allowed 3 or 4 items in Euro Traveller and the same or more in Club Europe then fly a bit later from Amsterdam a few days later and have this situation.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
I flew on Sunday from a European city to Heathrow and was sitting in 1D in Club Europe. Just before departure, the dispatcher came on board with the final paperwork and the CSD or whatever they are called ripped another a*srhole in the dispatcher for not having any of the hand luggage tagged with green or yellow tags. They advised that it made her crew's job impossible and slowed up the boarding process as they couldn't enforce where bags were placed. So whilst I do agree with BA on this, you could get the pax flying from where I did today and be allowed 3 or 4 items in Euro Traveller and the same or more in Club Europe then fly a bit later from Amsterdam a few days later and have this situation.
Yet another example of BA's apparent inability to manage processes consistently and also to make life more complex than necessary. Why does the lack of coloured tags make life 'impossible?'

Here is Ryanair's approach, which I have seen enforced consistently, without a coloured tag in sight and FR do not spend money unless it is really important.

CABIN BAGGAGE

One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms.

Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold.

Oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £50/€50 (fee subject to VAT on domestic flights at applicable government rates). If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.
There you are, clear, concise and enforceable.

I also read a thread recently, where a CE pax had to sit behind the curtain, as the ground staff had not moved it, whilst I saw the same thing happen on Air Malta and the SCCM took the initiative and moved the curtain back a row, herself.

It does make me wonder.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
Quote:

Originally Posted by stifle

A passenger who claims denied boarding compensation when they had more than the permitted amount of hand luggage and refused to have it checked is unlikely to get anywhere in court. As mentioned above, denied boarding compensation does not apply if the airline has reasonable grounds to deny boarding, and a passenger's non-compliance with published (and very reasonable) hand luggage restrictions is a reasonable ground.

Stifle, I agree with you and that sort of unreasonable behaviour is almost guaranteed to gain a judgment against.

Now let's deal with the suggestion earlier in the thread that it would be okay for security to send the pax back to check in, for an oversized bag, causing them to miss conformance (and thus the flight), when they were already checked in.

I suspect the court would expect the airline to have some process to accept the bag without the pax missing the flight, in the same way that you see airlines check oversized hand luggage (or hand luggage when they are running out of space) at the gate and I further suspect that they small claims court would have more sympathy for the pax who got it wrong (assuming the bag wasn't huge), than for the airline who cut costs by introducing online check in and then made the pax miss a flight.

Of course, I may be wrong, but on the balance of probability........
Last week, as I entered fast track lane at security South T5. The gent behind me was stopped by a lady in BA uniform. He was told that the three items of luggage he had was one too many and that he needed to return to a bag drop to check one in.

He had a large roll along which might or might not have been of regulation size. Strapped on top of that was another bag and he had a lap top sized bag. He argued that he only had two bags. That did not wash! So off he went to either check one in or try his luck at security North.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by qwest01
Last week, as I entered fast track lane at security South T5. The gent behind me was stopped by a lady in BA uniform. He was told that the three items of luggage he had was one too many and that he needed to return to a bag drop to check one in.

He had a large roll along which might or might not have been of regulation size. Strapped on top of that was another bag and he had a lap top sized bag. He argued that he only had two bags. That did not wash! So off he went to either check one in or try his luck at security North.
I have never seen BA staff at security at T5.

If I were in F and was told this I would be very annoyed.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I also read a thread recently, where a CE pax had to sit behind the curtain, as the ground staff had not moved it, whilst I saw the same thing happen on Air Malta and the SCCM took the initiative and moved the curtain back a row, herself.

It does make me wonder.
I read lorcancoyle's amusing thread too but if IIRC the curtain was incorrectly positioned when boarding started but was corrected by the time the door was closed.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 24, 2014 at 2:09 am Reason: add link
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Until recently I did not. But in the last 3 weeks, they were around a lot at South Security.

They were all on the non-fast track side though, and if I didn't come from the north side, I probably wouldn't have seen them.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

If I were in F and was told this I would be very annoyed.
Why? Until BA change their hand baggage allowance for some or all cabins, the maximum is two bags per passenger.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by qwest01

That's just taking the proverbial, IMHO.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero
I read lorcancoyle's amusing thread too but if IIRC the curtain was incorrectly positioned when boarding started but was corrected by the time the door was closed.
Thanks Prospero, but that was not the thread I remembered, as the poster in that one said he sat behind the curtain for the flight, too, but wasn't bothered. I'll try to find it later, in the post you quote, commonsense prevailed.

Or it could be cognitive bias skewing my memory......
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Thanks Prospero, but that was not the thread I remembered, as the poster in that one said he sat behind the curtain for the flight, too, but wasn't bothered. I'll try to find it later, in the post you quote, commonsense prevailed.

Or it could be cognitive bias skewing my memory......
I remember the thread to which you refer - it was recent ( i.e. last two weeks). I remember thinking that this was poor, but also very rare, as not mentioned as happening on here before.

When BA briefly introduced the policy of not expanding and contracting the seats in CE, there was much debate about how difficult it was to move the seats and the divider. I seem to remember that for most convertible seats a special spanner is needed. For the divider, I thought there were issues around cabin crew not being insured to move it and well as needing a tool.

I am not sure if outstations are allowed to adjust the seats or move the divider either, I think it is only supposed to be done by home base (LHR or LGW); hence the large but empty CE cabins that sometimes appear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.