Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New "Hand Baggage Only" Fares and OW Emerald...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic

Hello All,

As a Oneworld Emerald member (AA Executive Platinum), I am allowed one extra piece (2 instead of 1) when flying Economy on BA, and the maximum weight of each is 32 kg instead of 23.

Does anybody know whether this extra piece is also allowed in the new "Hand Baggage Only" European fares out of LHR and whether I can therefore take 1 piece instead of zero ?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:22 pm

No - unfortunately there is no increased baggage allowance for status on a hand baggage only fare: see the rules.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No dice sadly. Hand baggage only fares explicitly exclude OWE baggage privileges. If you look a few pages back there was the near-identical question. I don't know how much the check in bag would cost, but I think it's £20.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
As the others have said, it's a no.

If you go through the booking process, at one stage there is a very prominent message popping up indicating that the extra allowances for Sapphire/Emerald do not apply, and giving you the choice to continue or to return to select another fare.

That said, if you turn the booking into a BA holidays booking (by adding a hotel or car later in the booking process) or receive and accept a POUG (proactive online upgrade offer to Club Europe) you will have the regular baggage allowance again.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Unfortunately not, as others have already said.

This is also stated on the Oneworld Emerald Benefits page:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges

As an Emerald frequent flyer you can check in one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance when you fly on oneworld airlines. If your ticket mentions a weight allowance, you can check in an extra 20kgs (44lbs). (This benefit is not available on British Airways 'Hand Baggage Only' fares on select short-haul routes.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.