Search

Staff Ticket Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Staff Ticket Help

Hello All

Wondering if i can get some assistance.

My cousin who works for BA has got me a staff discounted ticket.

It has priority 23/J41. What does that mean? He says that I am possible to get a Club World upgrade if there is space available.

When i went to check in online i was only able to select World Traveller seats.

Is this correct? Sounds too good to be true.

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Welcome to FlyerTalk BL888,

For staff travel, if you're upgraded, it will only occur at the gate as you board the flight. As the upgrade is classed as 'space available', operations will only know if space is available once all passengers have checked in. This is why during the online check-in process, you are only able to select seats from your ticketed travel class (World Traveller).

The number you reference is priority for an upgrade, ie J41 suggests you are eligible (space permitting) for an upgrade to the Club (J) cabin. If there was another person travelling on staff travel with a higher 'J' number, say, J21, their priority would be higher.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the upgrade.

Last edited by inasmuchas; Mar 19, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to the forum

For questions about airline staff travel ask the staff member who gave you the ticket.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have no experience of BA staff travel, BL888, but do want to welcome you to the forum and wish you a great trip - whatever class.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome all. Ive been silent on this forum but lots of information on this forum.

I was told that i need to ask at the counter at the check in area but feel embarassed to being rejected. So wanted to check other views to see if this is the case.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inasmuchas
Welcome to FlyerTalk BL888,

For staff travel, if you're upgraded, it will only occur at the gate as you board the flight. As the upgrade is classed as 'space available', operations will only know if space is available once all passengers have checked in. This is why during the online check-in process, you are only able to select seats from your ticketed travel class (World Traveller).

The number you reference is priority for an upgrade, ie J41 suggests you are eligible (space permitting) for an upgrade to the Club (J) cabin. If there was another person travelling on staff travel with a higher 'J' number, say, J21, their priority would be higher.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the upgrade.

Many thanks for this. Information is much appreciated.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Originally Posted by BL888
I was told that i need to ask at the counter at the check in area but feel embarassed to being rejected. So wanted to check other views to see if this is the case.
I wouldn't ask at the check-in desks, it's most likely that they won't know until check-in closes. If the upgrade comes through you will be handed a new boarding pass at the gate.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
May I also extend you a warm welcome BL888 and try to offer you some assistance.

Your code 23/J41 does indeed mean that you are waiting for a Club World seat (assuming this is a long haul flight), that's the "J" bit.

The numbers are some sort of ranking order. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but they take account of things like length of service, seniority etc.

There is more than one type of staff ticket (PM me if you want details) that book into different classes (Economy, Club or First), also depending on your priority. I don't recall there being a Premium Economy one, but I could be wrong.

It is possible for you to be confirmed in Club World long before check in closes, sometimes even many days before. Again that's related to the priority bit. You could also find out at the gate. Unless CW or F is full, you are likely to travel in one of them, but in a worst case you would travel in Economy or Premium Economy (assuming it's not a 100% full flight).

Your friend who booked the ticket should be able to login to the same system he/she booked your ticket with and see if you are confirmed well in advance of the flight and/or your place in the queue. You can see exactly how many staff are waiting for seats, what class they are waiting for, and also how many seats are available on the plane.

Hope this helps

Other FT'ers: these tickets earn 0 Avios and TP's, in case you were wondering!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 000
May I also extend you a warm welcome BL888 and try to offer you some assistance.

Your code 23/J41 does indeed mean that you are waiting for a Club World seat (assuming this is a long haul flight), that's the "J" bit.

The numbers are some sort of ranking order. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but they take account of things like length of service, seniority etc.

There is more than one type of staff ticket (PM me if you want details) that book into different classes (Economy, Club or First), also depending on your priority. I don't recall there being a Premium Economy one, but I could be wrong.

It is possible for you to be confirmed in Club World long before check in closes, sometimes even many days before. Again that's related to the priority bit. You could also find out at the gate. Unless CW or F is full, you are likely to travel in one of them, but in a worst case you would travel in Economy or Premium Economy (assuming it's not a 100% full flight).

Your friend who booked the ticket should be able to login to the same system he/she booked your ticket with and see if you are confirmed well in advance of the flight and/or your place in the queue. You can see exactly how many staff are waiting for seats, what class they are waiting for, and also how many seats are available on the plane.

Hope this helps

Other FT'ers: these tickets earn 0 Avios and TP's, in case you were wondering!
Wow wow thanks for the info.

Yes this is for a long haul flight to HKG.

Do I need to dress up in smart xasual clothing or trainers ok?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

Thanks
I've travelled on my friends Staff Travel with Qantas. She told me I had to be smartly dressed. No Jeans, no trainers. Chinos were ok. Collared shirt (at least when checking in and boarding - QF hand out PJs in J).

Your friend is responsible for you and should tell you what the dress code is. It may differ.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Possibly a bit more information here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-53b-j45.html
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue

Thanks
Jeans and trainers are permitted, though the jeans should be in good condition (not trendily torn!) and clean trainers. A shirt with a collar is recommended. I recommend you just wear smart/casual and nothing too scruffy.

As mentioned already you could be confirmed in a premium cabin anytime up to departure time at the gate, or sometimes the day before (though HKG is always fairly busy in J and F so more likely at the gate).

The down side is that though you may be very lucky and get a seat in Club, WT Plus or even in First (though very unusual), you could also end up on a jump seat if the flight fills up for some reason.

As your friend seems to have not given you very much info, another tip is that you will be expected to refuse any offers of wash bags and/or sleeper suits, and be prepared to be asked for your meal choice after all the other customers have been asked, or the crew might come back to you and have to ask you to choose an alternative so a full fare customer can get their first choice.

If on a jump seat there will not be a meal loaded for you, but the crew will always do their best to find you something to eat (on a HKG there are usually refusals as it is a late departure so don't worry too much).

I ended up on a jump seat recently to HKG and it was not much fun I can tell you. But I wish you luck. Staff concessions can be wonderful when they work out.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:21 am

Use checkmytrip.com to find out what cabin you have been confirmed in, if at all. The BA staff travel website will tell you that you have confirmed but not whether you have been confirmed into club. If confirmed you will be entitled to use club check in desks but not the lounge. Wear reasonable smart casual clothes, do not give people the opportunity to deny you class of travel because they determine you are I appropriately dressed. If the flight is not too busy you will be assigned a seat or even be able to pick a seat at eta-24 hours. Failing that, seat assignment maybe done at the very last minute. You may be sent to the staff travel room which is close to Cafe Nero in zone A at T5. the ticket is a reasonably high priority but there are lots higher floating about so keep an eye on the staff travel website and checkmytrip. Good Luck.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
You should be discussing all this with the person that put you on their staff travel and NOT on an open forum.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Manage my bookings on ba.com will show the cabin you are currently confirmed in however if there is a J seat available it will be given to you right up until boarding.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.