Search

Duty Free SYD-SIN-LHR-EDI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Duty Free SYD-SIN-LHR-EDI

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked already, couldn't see anything.

We are travelling back from SYD next week SYD-SIN-LHR-EDI BA16

Is there any way we can get duty free (gin, mostly!) in either SIN on during the flight (as BA actually have good inflight deals on booze) and get it through LHR to EDI? I'm assuming on arrival at LHR we will have to go through security again, so I wasn't sure if there was any way of buying anything on the flight or at SIN without it getting taken off us at LHR security?

Is there some sort of security sealed bags the BA crew can put stuff in?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Dec 16, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You can buy duty free liquids on departure in Singapore or at LHR, you can also buy it on board after the departure from Singapore.
You cannot take duty free liquids through Singapore in transit so don't buy it in Sydney.
If you buy it on the aircraft please ensure that you tell the crew that you are in transit at LHR as they will put any liquids in a seal-able bag.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Indeed. The Singaporean authorities seem to be fond* of Bundaberg based on the amount that I've heard (from friends) that is confiscated there.

*allegedly
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Thanks all, BA on board with the sealable bags sounds like the plans.

Thanks again,

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Dec 16, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by Scott Mooney
Thanks all, BA on board with the sealable bags sounds like the plans.

Thanks again, s
As others have said, buy in SIN or on the flight between SIN and LHR and ask for the sealed bag (which must have a dated receipt in it which is visible.)

However, you may wish to note that the rules for scanning these at LHR have recently changed as I discovered today. When you go through security at LHR they will want to open the bag and remove the liquids from any packaging before sending them through the scanner. It happened to me today (in my case with beer from Brussels); I was told this came in some time during February. The staff were unusually helpful in getting it repacked afterwards. The sealed bag was by then useless but they have a stack of carrier bags available to put your things back into.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Does LHR security allow duty free liquids from any airport through security (as long as they are in a clear sealed bag with receipt etc)? A friend once got a few bottles confiscated at MAD arriving from HAV, because it wasn't coming in from the US or Europe.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by BA6501
Does LHR security allow duty free liquids from any airport through security (as long as they are in a clear sealed bag with receipt etc)? A friend once got a few bottles confiscated at MAD arriving from HAV, because it wasn't coming in from the US or Europe.
Wondering if that might have been because the duty free limits are so much lower for flights coming in from outside of the EU? Perhaps it was simply that he was over the limit.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by BA6501
See this recent thread and the links within about the new rules:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-security.html
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:19 am

Flew SIN - LHR - EDI two weeks back with a litre of duty free gin purchased in Singapore airport for equivalent of £8 I think. No problem for me getting the sealed plastic bag through T5.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Indeed. The Singaporean authorities seem to be fond* of Bundaberg based on the amount that I've heard (from friends) that is confiscated there.

*allegedly
All liquids are confiscated during Asian stopovers. Even non-Bundaberg liquids!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
All liquids are confiscated during Asian stopovers. Even non-Bundaberg liquids!
Wasn't in Bangkok. Got liquids through no problems there.

The Bundaberg was a reference to friends who saw a number of folk having that confiscated in SIN ... they had bought it in SYD/MEL because apparently you couldn't get that brand in SIN Duty Free.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's Singapore that is the problem.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Wasn't in Bangkok. Got liquids through no problems there.

The Bundaberg was a reference to friends who saw a number of folk having that confiscated in SIN ... they had bought it in SYD/MEL because apparently you couldn't get that brand in SIN Duty Free.
HKG, SIN, ICN I have seen liquids confiscated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.