Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dubai - LHR delay booked to Emirates question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi,

Yesterday BA 104 to LHR was delayed for 15 hours or so.
I managed to get booked into Emirates.

Questions:
* Should I complain to BA?
* Should I expect compensation?

On the way to Dubai he plane was delayed for +4 hours, I will complain abot tht one and get the moneys back (to the legal limit, etc)...

Am I the unluckiest person last week?

D
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
It seems like a reduced claim under EU261 could be worth a punt. If I was in your shoes, I would also ask BA to credit the original Tier points and Avios that were due if you were to have taken their flight. Also, I hope you have Emirates attach your BAEC number under QF codeshare they operate to get Avios for the flight you did end up taking.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:34 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by techie
Also, I hope you have Emirates attach your BAEC number under QF codeshare they operate to get Avios for the flight you did end up taking.
Not possible unless BA rebooked the OP on the QF codeshare, most likely BA rebooked under the operating carriers code.

Just because a flight has a codeshare does not mean you can credit using that codeshare flight number, you would have to have been ticketed on the codeshare flight number.

OP should be able to credit to EK, QF, AS or another program that allows crediting EK flights.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by nux
Not possible unless BA rebooked the OP on the QF codeshare, most likely BA rebooked under the operating carriers code.
Naturally, it depends on circumstances of what actually happened. Out of curiosity, why would BA rebook under operating non-OW carrier than QF codeshare and does one have any say in those situations?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:59 am

From a ticketing point of view. When invol rebooking we have to book on the metal flight flight number. Not a code share flight number.
nancypants and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for the replies.

I will ask BA to at least reinstate the tier points and avios.

Regards,
D
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dkad
Thanks for the replies.

I will ask BA to at least reinstate the tier points and avios.

Regards,
D
This happened to me last year from ICN and the tier points and avios were credited after I sent a letter to BA; like you I flew home on another airline. A few days later I received an email informing me that they were adding an extra 10K avios as a gesture of good will.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:20 am

BA104 again

Apologies for bringing up this old thread.

The flight today (18/12 - BA104 operated by Air Belgium) was cancelled due to a technical issue.

I have been repeatedly told that British airways can't rebook myself and my family (wife and 2 young children) onto Emirates as they don't have an agreement with them to do this. However, it looks like at least historically this was possible?

We are now faced with a 5 hour odd stop over in Bahrain on gulf air in the middle of the night with a 4 and 7 year old, so am pretty frustrated. Wouldn't care so much of it was just me.

Is the information we have been given correct?

Thanks,
Raj
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA doesn't have an e-ticket interline agreement with Emirates (EK) which may related (though an agreement to rebook passengers in case of disruption is not quite the same as an interline agreement, they often do go together).

BA does have one with Etihad (EY), were they an option?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by abd08
Apologies for bringing up this old thread.

The flight today (18/12 - BA104 operated by Air Belgium) was cancelled due to a technical issue.

I have been repeatedly told that British airways can't rebook myself and my family (wife and 2 young children) onto Emirates as they don't have an agreement with them to do this. However, it looks like at least historically this was possible?

We are now faced with a 5 hour odd stop over in Bahrain on gulf air in the middle of the night with a 4 and 7 year old, so am pretty frustrated. Wouldn't care so much of it was just me.

Is the information we have been given correct?

Thanks,
Raj
It may be they don't have an agreement to endorse tickets over, not that this would stop BA from purchasing tickets on your behalf.

Hopefully €2,400 of compensation will ease the pain of the stop over in Bahrain.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:10 am

Correct- unfortunately rebooking onto an EK flight is not allowed anymore. Certainly with a 125 issued ticket or a 001 (AA) ticket. Approx 12 months ago the agreement was withdrawn. It cannot be booked on the QF code either.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:16 am

Thank you all for the replies, I feel much better now at least knowing EK was not an option. Etihad was not mentioned so not sure if this was an option or not.

Thanks again.
Raj
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In any event, there is no incentive for BA to rebook on any other carrier (other than AA on TATL because of the JV) once the EC 261/2004 witching hour has passed. Foregoing revenue and paying out compensation is a double hit. The former is avoidable, the latter hits EUR 600 at 4 hours and stays there.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
The last few comments raised a question that I was wondering about following a recent flight cancellation between LHR-DXB a couple of weeks ago. Namely, how do you know which airlines will endorse tickets over to another?

I was travelling to Dubai with my wife and daughter via FRA on LH (LH issued tickets) in J. Just as we were getting into our taxi to head off to T2 LHR we received a text from LH to the effect that our LHR-FRA leg had been cancelled and that we had been rebooked on TK via IST (both airlines being part of Star Alliance). On the way I did a little "homework" and found that our new LHR-IST was already delayed 30 mins and which meant we only had 60 mins to complete our transit. By the time we got to LHR the delay was now showing 60 mins - which meant our connection was impossible! We went to the LH check-in who told us it was out of their hands as the tickets were now under TK "control" and sent us off to the TK ticketing desk, which was.......shut!! This was at 8.15am - unbelievable.

Eventually the TK desk opened and straight away sent us off to the LH ticketing desk. While we were waiting for the TK desk to open further research by me re our possible options (a lesson learned on FT - know what you want!) revealed that there was a BA flight to DXB leaving at 12.35pm and had at least 3 J tickets available. I explained our predicament to the LH ticketing desk and also about the apparent BA flight availability. Without hesitation and after a little keyboard tapping we were issued the documentation for 3 J tickets on the BA flight.
Shortly after, we were in a taxi heading for the Wing in T5 and the Flounge. Tucking into a champagne breakfast I almost vowed never to leave Oneworld again!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that just because there is an interline ticketing agreement, that does not mean that a carrier will rebook in IRROPS. A willingness to rebook on another carrier is a function of the length of the delay until the next online service, class of service, fare basis, and status. In addition, rebooking across a JV or within an alliance may be much easier as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.