Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus points query?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Silver, BA Silver
Bonus points query?

I have a question, wondering if anyone can help...

My tier points collection year ends on 8th September and my card expires on 31st October.

Will I get my 100% silver bonus avios on flights flown between 8th September and 31st October?

Help much appreciated!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
No, points earned between 9th Sept & 31st Oct count for the next year.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Ok, good to know... So whilst I will still have lounge access until 31st October I will be back to Bronze 25% bonus Avios
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by paulwelch101
My tier points collection year ends on 8th September and my card expires on 31st October.

Will I get my 100% silver bonus avios on flights flown between 8th September and 31st October?
Originally Posted by OPebble
No, points earned between 9th Sept & 31st Oct count for the next year.
Hang on a second, aren't we talking about two different things here?

The Tier Points for any flights flown from 9 September to 31 October inclusive will count towards status in the 2014-15 membership year. On the assumption that the OP's confident assumption that he will not renew his Silver by 8 September is borne out, the TPs earned from 9 September to 31 October can't change that (subject to any extension of the membership year, which is a different question).

However, from 9 September to 31 October the OP remains a Silver member so that (as he says) he continues to get lounge access. The BA website will continue to show that he is a Silver member.

AIUI, that should also mean that any Avios earned from flights during that period would also earn the 100% Silver bonus. The bonus rate should drop to 25% only for flights from 1 November onwards.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

That's what I was hoping, I know I won't re-qualify for silver this year but then I am planning some travels during the period 9th September to 31st October, so it does make a difference to me to stay loyal to BA if I still achieve the 100% bonus avios...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... but then I am planning some travels during the period 9th September to 31st October, so it does make a difference to me ...
Then hopefully someone can confirm this for you. I thought I would have to find out myself last summer, but fortune intervened and saved me from dropping below Silver.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yes, you should get the 100% bonus avios for the period of your card validity.

This has happened to me, where at the end of my card expiry month I was credited with the 100% bonus avios for outward flights, however on my inward flights at the beginning of the next month I only received 25% bonus for bronze. BA app showed me as Silver on the way out and Bronze at the beginning of the next month.

Tier points collected in the period counted towards new membership year.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Have you asked BA themselves? I would be surprised, as technically you are no longer silver, but BA allow you to benefit from certain elements if silver in case you've re qualified and card was delayed. If you get them I'd view them as a bonus, not a right (it's ba it, so maybe they just view as too complex to correct)
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Your silver membership remains valid, complete with all the benefits, for the sevenish-week grace period.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
In short, Yes.

BAEC continue to recognise you as Silver until a (random) few hours either side of midnight on 31 October. Your BAEC homepage will change colour, once you are officially demoted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.