Search

Priority for upgrades on AA (BA Gold)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Priority for upgrades on AA (BA Gold)

Hi - thank you in advance for your help

I'm currently spending some time in the US and I'm looking at flying NY -> SF (return).

I'm looking at AA85 on April 10 and AA18 on April 13 in Economy.

I'd like to optimise my chances for an upgrade, and am wondering:

- How likely is an upgrade given that I have BA Gold status?
- I'm travelling with a friend, should I put us on the same booking to give us both a chance of an upgrade, or does that lower my chances?
- Does it matter if I book the cheapest fair ("choice")?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You might try these:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ow-status.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...graded-aa.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...3Bgold+upgrade
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-how-get.html
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Op ups on AA are rarer than on BA, as AA has a more generous upgrading scheme with free upgrades for EXPs domestically, as well as easier to use miles and SWUs. If they need to move pax up they likely have someone on an upgrade list who is entitled to it (EXP) or willing to pay for it with miles or SWUs.

I would look in to trading for SWUs if you are set on sitting in J.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Op ups on AA are rarer than on BA, as AA has a more generous upgrading scheme with free upgrades for EXPs domestically, as well as easier to use miles and SWUs. If they need to move pax up they likely have someone on an upgrade list who is entitled to it (EXP) or willing to pay for it with miles or SWUs.

I would look in to trading for SWUs if you are set on sitting in J.
How might I take advantage of systemwide upgrades? I thought these were only for AA customers...
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bmj1
How might I take advantage of systemwide upgrades? I thought these were only for AA customers...
They are, and I think that was the point that was trying to be put across. Namely that the chances of an upgrade on that route (in particular) I would say are extremely thin, if you are BAEC. I've had more downgrades on AA than upgrades - and by quite a margin.

If there is BAEC availability in First, or Business, and you have the Avios, I'd book that way, it's an efficient use of Avios. Otherwise make sure you get a Main Cabin Extra seat for fractionally more leg room.

Your other option is that if you check in at a kiosk you may get offered a cash upgrade, if you are very lucky, and that would be in the USD200 area each way.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 15, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They are, and I think that was the point that was trying to be put across. Namely that the chances of an upgrade on that route (in particular) I would say are extremely thin, if you are BAEC. I've had more downgrades on AA than upgrades - and by quite a margin.

If there is BAEC availability in First, or Business, and you have the Avios, I'd book that way, it's an efficient use of Avios. Otherwise make sure you get a Main Cabin Extra seat for fractionally more leg room.

Your other option is that if you check in at a kiosk you may get offered a cash upgrade, if you are very lucky, and that would be in the USD200 area each way.
Ok thanks for the info - it's a shame that they don't prioritise BA gold for upgrades
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Ok thanks for the info - it's a shame that they don't prioritise BA gold for upgrades
As is well documented in the threads posted above.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Agree it'd be nice but upgrades is a major carrot in all of the US FF programmes (they don't get domestic lounge access by status) so it's probably not too surprising they don't want to give it away to those not in their programme. I'm pretty sure they give MCE seats for free to OW Sapphire/Emerald though which is better than nothing (UA don't offer their equivalent to *Gs)
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Agree it'd be nice but upgrades is a major carrot in all of the US FF programmes (they don't get domestic lounge access by status) so it's probably not too surprising they don't want to give it away to those not in their programme. I'm pretty sure they give MCE seats for free to OW Sapphire/Emerald though which is better than nothing (UA don't offer their equivalent to *Gs)
3 of us, all FB elites (platinum and golds) were upgraded on DL from SFO to LAX two weeks ago. FB elites get onto the upgrade list. OTH, FB elites are not entitled to lounge access on DL like OWE are on AA (although AMEX platinum solves that issue on DL).
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Nice result on the upgrade ^ As you say with OW they seem to emphasise the lounge side more (similar to *A IME).
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by economyman
3 of us, all FB elites (platinum and golds) were upgraded on DL from SFO to LAX two weeks ago. FB elites get onto the upgrade list. OTH, FB elites are not entitled to lounge access on DL like OWE are on AA (although AMEX platinum solves that issue on DL).
We are, but we are at the very lowest end of the upgrade scale. I'm glad it worked for you albeit on that very short flight, but I haven't been upgraded on DL (FB Platinum) for the past > 20 domestic trips! (FB Platinum and now Platinum for life). On a route like the one the OP is asking about (JFK-SFO), chances would be very much zero.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:30 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
I have been lucky to be upgraded on AA before (NRT to ORD j to f and domestic from y to f), but as stated above I would not count on it and if you need the upgrade pay for it with cash or points.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Mar 19, 2014 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by orbitmic
We are, but we are at the very lowest end of the upgrade scale. I'm glad it worked for you albeit on that very short flight, but I haven't been upgraded on DL (FB Platinum) for the past > 20 domestic trips!
Originally Posted by angatol
Congrats on your upgrade for the 30 minute flight .
Indeed, the only reason we were in Y to begin with was that it was such a short flight and the fare was $58 in Y and $268 (or thereabouts) in F. We nearly exclusively book F on domestic US flights but somehow could not justify the $200 premium. Our next flights LAX - MSP and MSP - LGA were around $540 in Y and $640 in F each and so they were booked in F.

I suppose that also explains why there was room to upgrade us as no one probably pays the extra $200 for a mid-day SFO-LAX flight.

And it's true that we are at the end of the list. In the days before we could afford F, we were never upgraded on DL. Worked out nicely this time though, saved the dosh and still sat in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.