Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleep strategy for BA275/274 LHR-LAS-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: BA soon to be Silver
Sleep strategy for BA275/274 LHR-LAS-LHR

I have just noticed you are there for 8 days. My strategy is only tried and tested on 4 day trips. Physical and financial endurance would certainly play a part beyond 4 days (for me anyway!)
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
On the way out, LPGS, LPGS....LPGS........LPGS..............LPGS........ ..Zzzzzzzzz

On the way back, you'll hopefully be so exhausted it won't matter.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: ABBA
I do wonder if people have too much time on their hands worrying about a night's sleep for something that isn't happening for over 2 months
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is where being a self employed leisure flier gives one the advantage over people who have to fly for work.

I don't need to worry about jet lag which is just as well as I can't get any decent sleep on an aircraft anyway. As you have a couple of days to recover I wouldn't bother too much about it.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
Vegas and common sense? Seems like an odd combination. I'm off there in a couple of weeks. Work unfortunately!

Personally can't sleep well on planes, so drink, drink, drink and then very occasionally an hour of sleep.

Whatever happens, enjoy yourself!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: bmi ba virgin
I've done Vegas for leisure more times than i'll admit, and always struggled on the way out, until LHR-LAS with BA. Like previous posters, a few drinks in the lounge, plenty on the plane with food, and 5 hours into the flight, i can go into my night sleep. Wake up 5 hours later just before landing, feeling terrible as you would if you were woken in the middle of the night, but i soon get over that with a shower at the hotel, and straight out.... until 1 or 2am! Repeat every night, and when you board then plane home your body will demand sleep... 9 hrs+, no food or anything. Upon landing at 2pm, its off home, where my body needs an early night, sleep caught up, and thats Vegas with no jet lag. Taken me many trips to discover this strategy tho!! Does mean i hit the strip running and have a great first night!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Once onboard set your mind to the time at the arrival location, and then act accordingly. For example, for DFW to LHR I tell myself it is six hours later.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk
I do wonder if people have too much time on their hands worrying about a night's sleep for something that isn't happening for over 2 months
I was at my procrastination station in the office today...need to keep the holiday fever going somehow

Originally Posted by stevea1234
Whatever happens, enjoy yourself!
Cheers! I'm going to have to return the favour to the lovely BA board and perhaps write a trip report!

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As you have a couple of days to recover I wouldn't bother too much about it.
I think I won't lose too much sleep over it (sorry, terrible pun)

Originally Posted by MrHeckles
I have just noticed you are there for 8 days. My strategy is only tried and tested on 4 day trips. Physical and financial endurance would certainly play a part beyond 4 days (for me anyway!)
We have a bail money fund we can tap into in case of emergency. On the physical front, I'll just have to hope my time as a student trained me well!

Very useful to see what everyone's views are. And thank you for the kind words. I'll make sure to make the flight over (and back) BA-FT worthy

Last edited by 0hnoes; Feb 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Purim
On the way out, LPGS, LPGS....LPGS........LPGS..............LPGS........ ..Zzzzzzzzz

On the way back, you'll hopefully be so exhausted it won't matter.
Having done these flights this week would echo this approach.

Make the most of CCR and First and you can pick up the pieces while you're there (time of day is irrelevant in LV).

Had a bizarre CCR experience on departure which I ought to post about.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
My pattern follows nearly exactly what c-w-s describes, and I'm almost always fine the next day. Not as much fun as LondonElite's suggestion, but I prefer to get on the schedule of the new location as quickly as possible.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by MickV
Tips for flying to Vegas?

Turn up at the lounge 5 hours early. Proceed to drink a bottle of Gin.
Pass out on the plane.
Wake up 9.5 hours later.
Quick drink and a shower in the hotel.
Gamble, drink, shows, drink, gamble, eat, drink, repeat.
Maybe a round of golf if you wake up early one day. Rio Secco is decent.
Pass out on the flight home.

Wake up on the fourth with great memories and no money.

Maybe that's just how I do Vegas though.
that's more like it. all this running, and tea drinking, and salad eating - what's the point; sounds like stress to me
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
^

LondonElite 1 - 0 c-w-s
This reminds me of a scene from SPACED. Whats the plan? Trying to decide how to spend the evening,

http://youtu.be/Yt-JQm-t36I

I'm with Tim (London Elite)....

(ps hope link a) works and b) is allowed)

Last edited by Champagne please; Feb 20, 2014 at 4:57 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PETER01
The OP is travelling back in CW so he will have to wear his own PJ's or keep the ones given in F on the outbound. He also won't have access to the CCR.

Some good advice and personally, but generally speaking, no alcohol for me on overnight returns.

Sorry, not trying to be pedantic, honestly, just clarifying a few points!
My mistake. Get your hotel to launder your PJs. You must not wear them used.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Champagne please
This reminds me of a scene from SPACED. Whats the plan? Trying to decide how to spend the evening,

Ganja on planes is now frowned on. Stoke up in the parking lot before you head into the terminal.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Champagne please

It's an interesting dilemma, I agree. If there is one place where the normal rules are suspended it has to be Vegas, there is almost no other reason to go there frankly. The obvious thing to read on the outbound is Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the high watermark of the Gonzo style, which actually sometimes characterises this FT board (plus some of EightBlack's postings), and is represented to some degree in this thread. That book is a terrific read and once you get under the skin of it will be a good re-read too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.