Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Complain to CAA about Heathrow security performance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum

Most of us on this forum will be aware that the CAA is the Economic Regulator for Heathrow, and that (as well as setting limits on airport charges) CAA also sets out service standards that Heathrow is required to meet, with financial penalties for underperformance.

The CAA's proposals for regulating Heathrow from April onwards (for the next 5 years) are set out in their recent publication CAP1138 - http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...detail&id=5914

It is a long and tedious document but pages 374 onwards deal with security queuing standards.

The CAA's primary duty in relation to airport regulation is to focus on the interests of passengers, as opposed to airports or airlines. This is a recent change under the new Civil Aviation Act. It seems to me that FT regulars are very well placed to provide feedback to CAA as to how Heathrow is performing in relation to security queuing.

There are a number of interesting topics in the CAA document:

I've started this thread out of a general sense of desperation about Heathrow's failure to improve the security process, especially in relation to T5 transfers. And also in relation to BA's failure to enforce its agreed service standards in FastTrack. Some may feel that it's over the top to complain directly to the regulator, but given the lack of action from Heathrow or BA I think it's appropriate. After all the CAA's main duty is to the traveller.

CAA's email address is [email protected]

Last edited by BasilBush; Feb 7, 2014 at 12:42 pm
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
    Thanks for going through the document and writing this concise yet informative post. ^

The fact that the observables are anything other than the time between entering and leaving the security process appears to make this process open to all sorts of manipulation by HAL.
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:34 am
    Suspended

Just went through a few days ago and they were shoveling people into the fast track queue. Wish I had a printout of this to hand to the person I asked about it who gave me a really nasty face & response.
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
    Went through security from flight connections yesterday, there was no fast track but a long wait once channeled into a line. The security person behind the counter was almost chanting the instructions and warning people that there was a wait for 45 mins for secondary screening so don't risk it if you have a short connection. Then she double checked that all liquids had been taken out by asking everyone and then she had a good look at every liquid bag ... (I half expected to be told that I had too much in my bag!)

Top it all off when I got home and unpacked I found a tube of lip balm that I had left in the wash bag from the flight !!

Distinctly unfriendly and nothing like the experiences I had at NCL and at IAD on the same trip(zero waiting time at either).
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:07 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent, I had a jobsworth complain about me ducking under the tape last week. I'll delight in calling for a supervisor and advising them that I'll be complaining to the CAa.

Shame the CAA have no remit over the abject shambles that is the UKBA. On last two visits I have cleared US immigration at MIA quicker than the UK border at LHR.
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
    I'm certainly no expert in English and legal stuff but isn't this a proposal? Is this what currently governs security at LHR?
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:58 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Fascinating, and thank you BasilBush.

I confess I've never had a major issue at T5 in the South Priority queue, which is probably a mixture of timing (c. 0715) and luck.

However, information is power, as is most of FT, so thank you as well. I shall read at leisure, and possibly carry a page or two of that in my travel folder in future. (The "proposal" aspect is noted)
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:04 pm
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lobengula
    I'm certainly no expert in English and legal stuff but isn't this a proposal? Is this what currently governs security at LHR?
    The CAA document sets out what they intend to include in their licence for Heathrow, effective April 1. However, much of it reflects a continuation of the CAA's existing policy on Heathrow service standards, which have been in force under the 'old' regulatory arrangements for the past 5 years.
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:16 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having had a quick browse, it seems Security efficiency is measured by the time it take to reach the roller-bed.

It seems to say nothing about the subsequent bumbling around of Security staff?
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:25 pm
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
    Having had a quick browse, it seems Security efficiency is measured by the time it take to reach the roller-bed.

It seems to say nothing about the subsequent bumbling around of Security staff?
    Yes you are quite right, as I noted in my original post. However, the CAA has left open the possibility of redefining queuing time once a new automated system of queue measurement is introduced, as is planned. There is a suggestion that, after this, queue time will be calculated up to the point that security screening actually starts (eg pax going through AMD). This would be an improvement, although it would clearly be better to have a straightforward definition based on the total time taken to finish all the security processes. The interminable waits for secondary screening are currently ignored by the CAA's service standards, and would not be covered by their proposed changes to the definitions.

The main aim of my post is to get FTers involved by making their views known directly to CAA. Only if the CAA is confronted by specific real-life experiences will we stand a chance of getting them to take this issue seriously.
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:40 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

CAA House, 47-59 Kingsway ... dammit, can't remember my old postcode
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:46 pm
    Original Poster

Better still [email protected]
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:48 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
    If people are going to complain to the CAA then please provide as much information as possible - time, date, location (specific terminal etc) and what happened.

Having worked for a regulatory body we often got complaints from the public but as they were often very general it was often difficult to do anything about them or to use them as intelligence (in helping establish a pattern) let alone use them to try and enforce compliance.
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
    Well at 8.40 pm the wine will be kicking in
    Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:59 pm
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
    If people are going to complain to the CAA then please provide as much information as possible - time, date, location (specific terminal etc) and what happened.

Having worked for a regulatory body we often got complaints from the public but as they were often very general it was often difficult to do anything about them or to use them as intelligence (in helping establish a pattern) let alone use them to try and enforce compliance.
    Yes, absolutely. And rather than just having a general rant please restrict complaints to specific instances of clear failures to comply with service standards, such as:

Opening up FastTrack to non-status pax
    Being held captive in FastTrack queue when other queues are shorter
    Being held at bottom of escalator in the transfer area
    Being redirected away from North security
    Etc

And if you disagree with CAA policy, eg on the definition of the beginning and end of security queuing times, or the exclusion of security processing times (including secondary search), please back it up with concrete examples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.