Wiki Posts
Search

OT Passport Control for Infant/ Under 5s

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

OT Passport Control for Infant/ Under 5s

This is OT other than most of the flights were on BA

My son who is now approaching 2 looks nothing like the photo in either of his passports. The photos were taken when he was +/- 7 weeks.

When arriving in different parts of the world this is treated very differently.

Arriving in SYD they asked some quite searching questions (DOB, place of birth father's occupation) so they clearly had access to his birth certificate (or were bluffing) and asked about his travel history

IN others parts of the world they just vague look in his direction and make sure our names match.

LHR is as you'd expect hit and miss!

Do Aussie immigration people have sight of my sons birth certificate (or salient details?)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by lizban
Arriving in SYD they asked some quite searching questions (DOB, place of birth father's occupation) so they clearly had access to his birth certificate (or were bluffing) and asked about his travel history

Do Aussie immigration people have sight of my sons birth certificate (or salient details?)
Only a guess but they're probably more interested in how you respond to the questions rather than the answers you give.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I would guess some jurisdictions have a greater focus on child trafficking or separated parents absconding.

And let's face it, few of us look much like our passports photos after a few years. I was behind a family at the LHR UK border recently and the very friendly officer remarked to one child that he'd changed a lot from his photo and how his hair had grown. All very well handled but there may have been a hidden agenda in play.

When it was my turn at the desk I jokingly said if she made any comment about my hair I'd be putting in a complaint ! I'm a little greyer than I was 4 years ago and don't need to be reminded of the fact Fortunately I'd judged her mood correctly !
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I have asked about the ability to recognise a 3 year old from a photo taken when my child was 2 weeks old. Apparently they focus on the ears and eyes...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Mstr Steve ZA's photo was taken when he was 5 days old and his eyes are closed in it so he was unrecognisable even on his first flight at 4 months old. It gives us something to talk about with the various border agents around the world but we have never had any problems.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:17 pm

A (German) border official almost waved me and our 4 month old through while looking at our 4 *year* old's passport (photo taken when the 4 year old was ~2 months old)

LHR is very hit and miss. We've had a grilling and we've had "charming" too... YMMV
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
I have asked about the ability to recognise a 3 year old from a photo taken when my child was 2 weeks old. Apparently they focus on the ears and eyes...
Plus where the top of the nose joins below the forehead, relative to a centre line through the eyes. But the ears are the easiest.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
Many border agents I've met call the name of the children out (my oldest is 3.5 and photo taken at 2 months). If the child looks up, it's probably responding to their name.

Also, as someone else says. It's more likely they are looking for the nature of the answers, not the actual answers. If you look confused or get angry, they will probably investigate further. If you just answer if you've nothing to hide (as everyone else would), then you'll be ok.

Matt
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
When I was about 4, we had a holiday in South America. I was still on my mother's passport. When we entered Argentina, they accidentally only stamped her as entering the country, not me. At passport control when we were leaving they wouldn't let me leave. It was a Sunday afternoon, and eventually my grandfather said "fine, you can keep him", knowing that no public servant wants to be stuck with a screaming 4 year old on a Sunday. We were quickly on our way.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by lizban

IN others parts of the world they just vague look in his direction and make sure our names match.
--- snip ---
I strongly doubt they have such details.

However, the Australian immigration officers often ask what may seem like a bit of a probing question, especially to non-nationals (although they sometimes do the same to nationals, especially with a young child). It's probably to do with seeing how you react and to make sure that it's your child and you are also not abducting your own child.

I know it probably feels rather offensive even just to be checked in that way, but they do take those things seriously as there have been recent reported cases.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I strongly doubt they have such details.

However, the Australian immigration officers often ask what may seem like a bit of a probing question, especially to non-nationals (although they sometimes do the same to nationals, especially with a young child). It's probably to do with seeing how you react and to make sure that it's your child and you are also not abducting your own child.

I know it probably feels rather offensive even just to be checked in that way, but they do take those things seriously as there have been recent reported cases.
+1

I highly doubt they have access to UK birth certs.

As for probing questions, when I went backpacking in my early 20's I was asked point blank how much cocaine I did in Peru because it's so cheap there.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:32 pm

We have twins - passport photos taken at 6 weeks. When going through US Immigration aged 1, the officer looked at both, said 'I've no idea which is which' and let us through.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:57 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by bensyd
When I was about 4, we had a holiday in South America. I was still on my mother's passport. When we entered Argentina, they accidentally only stamped her as entering the country, not me. At passport control when we were leaving they wouldn't let me leave. It was a Sunday afternoon, and eventually my grandfather said "fine, you can keep him", knowing that no public servant wants to be stuck with a screaming 4 year old on a Sunday. We were quickly on our way.
I have had something similar many many years ago (in Ecuador in 1990 to be precise). I am absolutely convinced they were waiting for me to offer to pay a 'fine', but I was playing dumb. Then there was a shift change and the passport control officer of the new shift wondered what we were doing there and waved us on....
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by matthudski
Many border agents I've met call the name of the children out (my oldest is 3.5 and photo taken at 2 months). If the child looks up, it's probably responding to their name.

Matt
That is what I have found with my 4yo daughter who travels on a 2 mo passport. The name matches if daughter responds naturally to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.