Search

Best Chance of Upgrade LHR <-> Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:13 am
Och
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Best Chance of Upgrade LHR <-> Tokyo

I'm going to be travelling from LHR to Tokyo (NRT or HND doesn't really matter) and back at the end of February. Its a work paid trip and they're likely to stick me in Y.

I'm BA Gold so hopeful I might get an upgrade. Are there any recommended flights to choose to increase my chances?

Going out I'm presuming, for example, BA4602 which is actually on JAL metal isn't going to upgrade. So I'm likely to go on BA5 (because of a connection I'd have to stop over to go out on BA7). Coming back though I could choose to do BA8 or BA6 if it would help my chances.

Thanks,

Och
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
To be honest the only way to guarantee a higher cabin is to pay for it

Otherwise, expect to fly in Y and if the upgrade comes along then enjoy it.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:23 am
Och
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BPED
To be honest the only way to guarantee a higher cabin is to pay for it

Otherwise, expect to fly in Y and if the upgrade comes along then enjoy it.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Just thought some flights might be more likely than others

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:23 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Och
I'm BA Gold so hopeful I might get an upgrade. Are there any recommended flights to choose to increase my chances?
BA would only upgrade you if:
You paid cash to upgrade to a higher class
You used avios to upgrade to a higher class
The cabin was oversold and you were highest on the upgrade list
Service recovery

The first option will guarantee you in the higher cabin.
The second option will only be possible from a Y, B, or H economy fare or any premium economy fare.
The third option depends on how full the flight is. If it is not full in economy, there is no chance of upgrading.

Originally Posted by Och
Just thought some flights might be more likely than others

Thanks
You would need to find out which flight is generally oversold. You can look at the availability using Flightstats, ExpertFlyer, or any other availability tool. At the moment, neither flight looks busy in Y for the next few weeks.

Last edited by nux; Jan 27, 2014 at 4:32 am
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Based purely on the fact that this is one of the best routes for Avios availability in all classes, I suspect the loads are not that high.

If I were you, I'd feel fairly certain of flying in the class you paid for.

However, as I said, Avios availability is good, so why not talk your boss into buying WT+ (there is a sale on!!) and use Avios to upgrade to CW. Otherwise, try for a paid airport upgrade. Lower load factors may make for attractive offers there. You may consider it well worth it for such a long flight.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nux
BA would only upgrade you if:
You paid cash to upgrade to a higher class
You used avios to upgrade to a higher class
The cabin was oversold and you were highest on the upgrade list
Service recovery

The first option will guarantee you in the higher cabin.
The second option will only be possible from a Y, B, or H economy fare or any premium economy fare.
The third option depends on how full the flight is. If it is not full in economy, there is no chance of upgrading.
My experience would also confirm this. However, my son (silver card) has had a 100% upgrade rate for the last 6 months, 5/5 BA sectors, always WT+ to CW, including flights which were by no means full in any class. So, I do also think that there is a good portion of luck involved. He has now come to accustomed it and no amount of expectation management on my side can change that.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:30 am
Och
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Based purely on the fact that this is one of the best routes for Avios availability in all classes, I suspect the loads are not that high.

If I were you, I'd feel fairly certain of flying in the class you paid for.

However, as I said, Avios availability is good, so why not talk your boss into buying WT+ (there is a sale on!!) and use Avios to upgrade to CW. Otherwise, try for a paid airport upgrade. Lower load factors may make for attractive offers there. You may consider it well worth it for such a long flight.
WT+ and Avios seems the best option then - some persuading to do!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Originally Posted by nux
If it is not full in economy, there is no chance of upgrading.
I think a lot of people on here would say from experience that this simply isn't true.

However, I'm not sure that anyone truthfully knows when or how the occasional, magical op up is granted.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think the load on NRT is very dependent on tour group bookings.

I am not sure it's easy to predict the day of the week on which Y is particularly busy but I have been on a flight where the only empty seats were in F quite a few times on NRT flights, so I don't think the load is poor.

Either way I think the OP would be better off working out which flight is quieter so that he has a better chance of having an empty seat next to him than to hope for an op-up.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome Och.

Originally Posted by Och
WT+ and Avios seems the best option then - some persuading to do!
And I shall add my greetings Och. Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA board in particular. It is good to see you active here, please continue to post and make yourself at home.

Probably best cash use is to upgrade to WTP, the best Avios use is WTP to CW. so if the boss is hesistant then you can perhaps Airport Upgrade to WTP at the airport, and possibly get a free upgrade from there. However WTP AUPs can be thin on the ground, or so I am told.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:00 am
Och
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcomes to the board.

I'm going to push for the funded WT+. It seems more likely it will be full than Y so perhaps an upgrade to CW from there is a chance.

Och
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
OP: welcome but asking about best opportunity for OP UP on FT is akin to asking how beat to beat your children in parents evening

Good luck, hope it works out for you
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:19 am
Och
Original Poster

Ouch!

I guess my expectations on upgrades with Gold status had been raised unreasonably :-). On my last flight (first with BA since getting Gold) I flew with 4 other family members none of whom has any status but on a group booking. All 5 of us got upgraded to business - this far exceeded anything I'd had on Silver so I'd started to assume upgrades happened much more frequently on Gold.

Och
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:22 am

I've had one upgrade in 3 years of being gold. There are lots of stories here of people with very impressive upgrade rates (as indeed mentioned above) but I suspect the vast majority of golds flying Y have experiences closer to mine.

See if you can get the company to spring for WT+. It's not an unreasonable request for a business journey of that length. Then you have a fighting chance of a UuA on that route.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Apologies for hijacking the thread but has anyone experienced an Op-Up from CW to F when they purchased WT+ and UuA to CW?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.