Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA NRT flight at 10.50 or HND flight at 8.50?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA NRT flight at 10.50 or HND flight at 8.50?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:46 pm
JSC
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

We are staying at the GH (with a 5 and 1 yr old) and will be flying into NRT from SYD 2 days earlier. On a weekday I realise the airport bus out to NRT may take some time but I assume not 2 hours more. On that basis I'm leaning towards NRT so that we should be able to wake at a reasonable hour rather than the middle of the night.

What sort of times do you think we have to leave the GH for each airport?

Cheers
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Depending on where you are staying and how much money you are willing to pay up to go from Narita, it can easily be 1 hr extra from NRT.
I'd definitely go on the HND flight if it meant that I had to wake up at 5am. Not so much if it meant I had to wake up at 3am.

But you have to run the calculation for your kids. Would it be easier to have them wake up early or use whatever extra transit you will need to use? (And from NRT to central Tokyo it can be up to £100)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:42 am
JSC
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

Thanks. Staying at the Grand Hyatt (Roppongi Hills) and will be taking the airport bus there and back. as we're coming from SYD there will be a 1 hour time difference so probably can do a 5am wake up at a stretch and leave the hotel at 6. Is that enough time to get to HND?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Had you looked into taking the Narita Express? Quick and easy (irrespective of traffic) and gives you some extra time in the morning to get the children up and dressed.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by JSC
We are staying at the GH (with a 5 and 1 yr old) and will be flying into NRT from SYD 2 days earlier. On a weekday I realise the airport bus out to NRT may take some time but I assume not 2 hours more. On that basis I'm leaning towards NRT so that we should be able to wake at a reasonable hour rather than the middle of the night.
0850 departure from HND will not require you to get up in the middle of the night. If you want to push your luck a bit, even 0630 should suffice, as long as you can get ready quickly.

Limousine Buses (the airport buses that serve the hotels) are not very frequent and they tend to stop at various other hotels. For BA 006 NRT-LHR you really need to leave on the 0700 Limousine Bus (it is scheduled to arrive at 0855).

There is no Limousine Bus to HND that will get you to HND in time for BA 008 HND-LHR. The first one leaves the hotel at 0845 - too late, of course.

For HND I'd be inclined to take a taxi or take the monorail to Hamamatsucho and catch a taxi.

By taxi, it will be approx 40 min to HND and 90 min to NRT, subject to traffic.

All of the information is available on Grand Hyatt website: http://tokyo.grand.hyatt.jp/en/hotel...pMapDirections

Originally Posted by NRGsaver
Had you looked into taking the Narita Express? Quick and easy (irrespective of traffic) and gives you some extra time in the morning to get the children up and dressed.
It actually does not save much time if at all, compared to other means of transport, including the cheap bus from Tokyo station etc. In fact I find that the buses are sometimes quicker between Tokyo station and NRT.

If I were in the OP's position I'd catch the Limousine Bus to NRT or a taxi to HND.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I much prefer NRT to HND. Yes, HND is closer to town in theory, but just as expensive to get to since you need an expensive taxi really for the early departure time. NRT also has better (although not amazing) lounge and facilities.

I usually arrive into NRT and get a JR Suica ticket which includes return Narita Express travel and a Suica card (like Oyster) preloaded with 2000 Yen for the subway. Only for non-Japanese passport holders and cheaper than the Narita Express ticket alone.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

Personally, I find the limosine bus, subject to heavy Tokyo traffic, quite unpredictable, meaning you need to leave extra time, especially on a weekday morning or late afternoon.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I much prefer NRT to HND. Yes, HND is closer to town in theory, but just as expensive to get to since you need an expensive taxi really for the early departure time.
BA is re-timing HND. There will be no need for a taxi at all for 0850 departure.

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I usually arrive into NRT and get a JR Suica ticket which includes return Narita Express travel and a Suica card (like Oyster) preloaded with 2000 Yen for the subway. Only for non-Japanese passport holders and cheaper than the Narita Express ticket alone.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/
It's actually preloaded with 1500 yen, not 2000 yen. 500 yen is a deposit on the card, which you can get back on request.

Personally, I find the limosine bus, subject to heavy Tokyo traffic, quite unpredictable, meaning you need to leave extra time, especially on a weekday morning or late afternoon.
Door-to-door transport like the Limousine Bus, despite stopping at various places and subject to traffic conditions, is easier for a family with young children though, as they don't need to worry about finding the NEX platform at the station etc and do not need to lug their bags around the station.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If I were in the OP's position I'd catch the Limousine Bus to NRT or a taxi to HND.
I'd take a taxi to HND. It requires an early start - but not much earlier than you'd need to start if you were to take the Limo Bus to NRT - and the cost is in the same ballpark as limo bus tickets to NRT.

Roads will be pretty clear at that time. Journey time from Roppongi to Haneda should be less than 30 minutes. Cost should be about 8,000 yen.

MK Taxi might be able to offer you a fixed rate if you call:
http://www.tokyomk.com/eng/

Last edited by jib71; Jan 24, 2014 at 9:49 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
BA is re-timing HND. There will be no need for a taxi at all for 0850 departure.
Oh yes, so they are. That does change things a little, although I do still prefer NRT for some reason.

It's actually preloaded with 1500 yen, not 2000 yen. 500 yen is a deposit on the card, which you can get back on request.
Yes, you're right about that too, my mistake, but it's still a great deal.

Door-to-door transport like the Limousine Bus, despite stopping at various places and subject to traffic conditions, is easier for a family with young children though, as they don't need to worry about finding the NEX platform at the station etc and do not need to lug their bags around the station.
I only took this bus once, and while I agree that door-to-door with luggage and youngsters in tow may be preferable, I found the bus quite cramped and something about it may me fell nauseous. It also seemed to take forever going from hotel to hotel, traffic jam to traffic jam, before hitting the motorway out to NRT. As a kid I always loved the train rides more too. And, Tokyo station is always an adventure!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
JR have also had to climb down on the Narita Express pricing and they have reduced a one-way from the airport to town to just JPY1,500 for the foreseeable future (sourch here). This is due to the (actually faster) Keisei trains.

This one-way promo ticket would only really work if you already have a Suica card and just need a one-way into town and will come back another way.
If you don't have a Suica already or need a return ticket, you should just buy the NEX Suica Combo JR details here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.