Search

British Airways Complaints Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond
British Airways Complaints Procedure

Hello

I have for a few years been a loyal BA customer with no problems but a recent flight I had from LHR to LCA was one that left me less than impressed.

I was wondering if it was at all worth complaining - i.e. do they actually do anything about complaints?

Thanks
James
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jamesellis
Hello

I have for a few years been a loyal BA customer with no problems but a recent flight I had from LHR to LCA was one that left me less than impressed.

I was wondering if it was at all worth complaining - i.e. do they actually do anything about complaints?

Thanks
James
It depends what the complaint is. Perhaps if you share more people here will share if they've had similar experiences and the outcome of any complaint.

If its valid but trivial, BA are likely throw some Avios at you.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:18 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
maybe have a read of this thread and see if it strikes any chords...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hlight=Larnaca
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by jamesellis
Hello

Thanks
James
In my opinion it's always worth sending in a complaint if you have a valid issue even if you're not after any compensation.

At least it helps them know what issues are important to their customers.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings jamesellis

Greetings jamesellis, I know it's not entirely your first message to Flyertalk, but welcome anyway, particularly to the BA Forum. Please stick around, we can't have too many people from the North East in this board, not that I am biased!

You'll often get a more honest (and sometimes more brutal) answer here to any specific difficulties you have had. I think it probably falls into 2 halves: can they remedy a service isues? Yes, by apologetic letter, Avios, cash, other customer service recovery compensation. Can they fix underlying problems? Much more difficult. However if their systems pick up a lot of complaints about a very specific thing then eventually it will get looked at. The example I'd give is the lack of fast track boarding at certain out-stations such as Brussels - a lot of people complained and eventually it was fixed.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
My advice is where possible make a complaint on the flight its amazing what you get, or at least start the procedure going inflight esp on long haul.

We got offered a significant amount more Avios because of something that happened than if we had taken things further when back home and got an apology (and half the champagne from first class, including for our 13 year old daughter (as a bucks fizz)) .

The issue got solved, forgotten about and we could get on with our travel and holiday.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
If its valid but trivial, BA are likely throw some Avios at you.
I am not so sure about this anymore. I really think BA Customer Services are full of remorse, but less forthcoming with anymore than a "sorry".

I flew First from ORD to LHR. At the F check-in desk, I was told that only F passengers were being checked in here. Nice welcome. The F lounge in ORD was so full that people were having to stand and while there was no hot food, the cold food plates were empty most of the time. The cabin was full and as a consequence, my first and second choice meals were not available. My first and second choice red wines had been used up on the outward leg and there was no champagne or white wine as it was all luke warm. On the positives, the crew were very friendly if apologetic, and they did advise me to complain.

After two mails into Customer Services, all I have is a better understanding of how difficult it is to plan meal and drink loading for 14 passengers, who if like me, had paid £2,000 for their ticket. Apparently, extensive research is done to ensure that the crew can serve everyone their first choice meal. Lots of corporate rubbish and apologies, but apart from being sorry for my disappointment, nothing.

I contact "YouFirst", who simply told me that they would forward my comments back to customer services. Aparently, they can help with bookings, but not with complaints.

I think that a couple of good quarters from a business results perspective is going to someones head.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
From my experience you'll waste your time and be even more frustrated that you paid good money to fly BA

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-feedback.html
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I am not so sure about this anymore. I really think BA Customer Services are full of remorse, but less forthcoming with anymore than a "sorry".
No white wine, no champagne and a single red onboard - and no Avios as an apology? Wow.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I have flown BA a lot over the years and have rarely had to complain. When I have it has normally involved baggage handling or downgrading. The responses I have received have been mixed. Sometimes the response has been excellent, and changed a bad experience into a positive one. Sometimes the response has been disappointing. I have never been given a complete brush off, but at times (like asking to be reimbursed a taxi fare when I have spent hours waiting at T5 reclaim and missed last tube) the response has been more difficult than I would have expected from a leading airline towards a semi-status passenger.

However, having also had to complain (again only ever so occasionally) about other airlines, I think BA is still better than most. I have had responses from KLM and Air Berlin that were utterly hopeless. And partly for that reason I would choose BA over those two. But BA must not lose sight of the importance of a good customer services function and yes I am well aware that some passengers will make various trivial complaints to get Avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.