Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Credit cards & country of residence confusion!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

A couple of quick questions about the impact of BAEC country of residence on credit card rewards...

- My partner's BAEC account is US-based, and he has two earned & unredeemed Chase 241 vouchers. I know that if we move his BAEC account to the UK, he will no longer earn miles from his BA Chase card, but will the existing, earned vouchers also be invalidated?

- Can Chase Ultimate Rewards points be transferred to a UK-based BAEC account? What about Amex Membership Rewards?

As you might infer, we're contemplating ditching the Chase BA card for our US spending and moving to the Chase Sapphire Card or an Amex. This way, my partner can get sign up for the BA UK Amex and get 241 vouchers originating in the UK (*much* more useful to me as that's where we live most of the time) at only £10k spend, and use Chase Saphire or Amex as our US credit cards and just transfer the points into Avios.

Thoughts? Experience?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I had the US BA Chase card, then changed my address to the UK. I was still able to earn miles no problem. I can't comment on the vouchers. I eventually cancelled the card, as most of my flying is on Delta/SkyTeam, and rarely don't spend that much time/money in the States anymore.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The only thing I can add with certainty is that you won't be able to transfer Chase points to a BAEC account. Amex Rewards are usually transferable internationally (I did this, albeit 18 years ago).
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

I have both cards, I have a travel together ticket and an Amex 2-4-1 and when I transferred BAEC from UK to US, the Amex voucher went grey on my BAEC page and I can no longer redeem it. I believe the same will happen to the Chase voucher should I switch back to the UK. I still use my BA Amex occasionally when in the uk but I don't earn avios. Amex told me when I switch my BAEC account back to the uk all the avios I have 'accrued' will be deposited in my account - I'm sceptical though.

The rule seems to be that you only get the avios earning and voucher using benefit of one card at a time and it's the card that matches the location of your BAEC account - more than happy to be put right on this point though
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
I had the US BA Chase card, then changed my address to the UK. I was still able to earn miles no problem. I can't comment on the vouchers.
My BAEC address is currently registered in Switzerland where I am mostly based, however I also have a US Chase card that is registered to a US address where Mrs Schmidt and I spend some time each year. I don't use the card that often, but when I do, I also still receive the relevant Avios. Also can't comment on the vouchers as I no longer spend enough to earn one.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
My BAEC address is currently registered in Switzerland where I am mostly based, however I also have a US Chase card that is registered to a US address where Mrs Schmidt and I spend some time each year. I don't use the card that often, but when I do, I also still receive the relevant Avios. Also can't comment on the vouchers as I no longer spend enough to earn one.
Now that's interesting. I too have a US Chase card but when I changed my BAEC address to the UK,
keeping Chase at a US address, I lost the ability to accumulate miles (this was 11 years ago). I still
have the card but rarely use it.

H
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Hoch
Now that's interesting. I too have a US Chase card but when I changed my BAEC address to the UK,
keeping Chase at a US address, I lost the ability to accumulate miles (this was 11 years ago). I still
have the card but rarely use it.

H
I had also assumed that I would also lose the ability to collect miles, but used the card in November and December of 2013 (having moved to CH about 2 years previously) and the Avios posted no problem. I wonder if the UK vs CH address makes any difference. Also, if you got your Chase card 11 years ago, I wonder if it is the same card as I have - I seem to think that they might be different branded cards (mine is only around 4 years old).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
I had also assumed that I would also lose the ability to collect miles, but used the card in November and December of 2013 (having moved to CH about 2 years previously) and the Avios posted no problem. I wonder if the UK vs CH address makes any difference. Also, if you got your Chase card 11 years ago, I wonder if it is the same card as I have - I seem to think that they might be different branded cards (mine is only around 4 years old).
Hmmm, I don't know about the cards being different. Mind is just a plain old BA Chase Visa.

I keep a regular monthly payment on the card so that I don't loose my credit line and I have
never received a mile/Avios since changing countries. I can even recall the letter they sent
informing me that I would no longer receives miles/Avios.

Me thinks I'm being robbed I'm glad it works out for you though ^

H
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The only thing I can add with certainty is that you won't be able to transfer Chase points to a BAEC account. Amex Rewards are usually transferable internationally (I did this, albeit 18 years ago).
That's too bad. I have the BA Chase Visa with a UK registered address and it works just fine to collect Avios. I was thinking about cancelling it and moving to a card that earns Chase Ultimate Rewards, but sounds like that doesn't work (at least if I want to move the points into Avios).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.