Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Request: Cabin Hand Sanitiser

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: MUCCI
Also try eating a sandwich with your hands with some of that hand sanitiser on - it makes them taste awful......

FD.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Also try eating a sandwich with your hands with some of that hand sanitiser on - it makes them taste awful......

FD.
But mix it with tonic...
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
I think this is a fair point

I think that making an alcohol-based hand rub available would be very reasonable. NOT as a substitute for handwashing after using the toilet - not even for those with heightened concerns about door handles - but for decontaminating ones hands at any point other than when using the loo (eg before eating. I would suggest that such hand run should not be placed near toilets so as not to mislead passengers as to their useful purpose.

Yes, of course we can all buy our own, but there is probably some advantage to widening access to this stuff. A kind of public health measure, if you like!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
A kind of public health measure, if you like!
It really isn't ...

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/staphyl...roduction.aspx

Staphylococcal infections are a group of infections caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus. You may have heard them referred to as staph infections.
(snip)
S. aureus is common and often found in the nose or on the skin.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:26 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:18 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I think it's a bloody miracle that I've survived so many decades without using sanitiser, a face mask or a paper suit. Perhaps I should get out of my oxygen tent more often?

Alternatively, having seemingly been exposed to all sorts of strange things over 7 decades around the World, perhaps I have built up natural resistance ... Which I woukd not wish to try to wash off
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
I'm always surprised at the number of passengers I see visiting the toilet in either socks or bare feet. Have they any idea of the state the toilet floor gets in during a long haul flight? Would the same people do the same if they were in a night club? I'm therefore all the more mindful of hygiene on board as a consequence of many other people's disregard/ignorance of it.

If soap and water is sufficient for you, are you satisfied that the cabin crew use the same bacteria ridden facilities to clean their hands before they handle your food/plates, glassware/drinks and the trays they come in? The toilet handles are dirty and everyone with any common sense knows that. Do cabin crew need to be told to open toilet doors with paper towels?

Does it not make more sense to have a hand sanitiser dispenser outside of the toilets after people have washed their hands? This should really be in the cabin rather than an amenity kit because surely F, CW, WT+ and WT should have equal access to hygiene.

As people become more aware, the supply of hand sanitiser in public areas has increased. They are all over hospitals, some supermarkets offer sanitising wipes for shopping trolleys, disposable gloves are available at petrol stations for use when filling up, it's available as you pass through immigration in the US after fingerprinting etc ... My contention is that a responsible airline would make hand sanitiser available in each cabin.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/1...ing/index.html
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Really can't see the need for this. Germs are everywhere anyway. And, we need exposure to germs to keep our immune systems active.

Plus, the increased (unnecessary) use of anti-bacterials is creating more resistant bacteria....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:08 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:10 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by angatol
Are you also surprised by people in bare feet on the beach, or in their garden or in their own bathroom? What's the big deal?
No but I'm surprised at people walking into a toilet with bare feet which in all probability has been soaked in other people's urine. I guess you're fine with that but hey, each to their own.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:14 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:50 pm
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
I think it's a bloody miracle that I've survived so many decades without using sanitiser, a face mask or a paper suit. Perhaps I should get out of my oxygen tent more often?

Alternatively, having seemingly been exposed to all sorts of strange things over 7 decades around the World, perhaps I have built up natural resistance ... Which I woukd not wish to try to wash off
^

I understand people's concerns, but I do think this obsession with apparent cleanliness is a bit nutty
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It reminds me of a very old military joke. RAF chappie visiting RMAS Sandhurst, uses the gents urinals, and turns to leave. Army officer says, "Didn't they teach you wash your hands at the RAF College?" "No, mate, they taught us not to pi$$ on them."

Sorry. Post deletion anticipated.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Moriarty
Does it not make more sense to have a hand sanitiser dispenser outside of the toilets after people have washed their hands? This should really be in the cabin rather than an amenity kit because surely F, CW, WT+ and WT should have equal access to hygiene.
Is there a risk that someone might touch the dispenser without having washed their hands?

Perhaps the cabin should be bathed in UV light periodically? In fact, why stop at UV light? In F perhaps it would be appropriate to irradiate the cabin with hard x-rays just to make sure. Obviously the F PJs would have to be of the lead-lined variety, but why compromise on safety?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: BA gold
With the crew struggling to get to grips with the fancy lights on the A380, I'm not having much faith in them to get them to turn on the black lights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.