Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Making the most of a trip to MIA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

OT - Making the most of a trip to MIA

Hello all

I was hoping to tap into your collective infinite wisdom to make the most of an upcoming trip to Miami for a wedding. Here are some the key issues:

I've decided to use this opportunity to experience my first First. Redemption availability isn't great around my dates to Miami, and I would really like to go to New Orleans for a few days. The thinking at the moment is fly to another US city where redemption availabilty is better (where should I go?! I'm thinking Chicago - it should be far enough to make the most of being in first). I would then fly down for three nights in New Orleans and on to Miami.

On the way home, I may use aadvantage miles.. it seems like a great deal to pay 20k from Miami and get a free stopover somewhere in the States. Where should this second stop-over be?!

Essentially I'd love to hear what your unmissable spots are in the states!

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:58 pm

What month and what are your interests?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hammythehammer
What month and what are your interests?
October. The wedding is on the 22nd, so around that period.

There will be 3 or 4 of us, twenty-something boys. All big foodies, like going out, culture esp. music would be good. Not bothered particularly weather-wise as we will have a week in Miami.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:12 pm

Maybe fly into ATL or DFW.
For a side trip possibly Memphis or Nashville - I love Savannah GA but that's me with an older outlook.
New Orleans should be a blast for you
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
You're going to be overlapping with UK school holidays around that time, so grab any availability when you see it.

English state schools are off from Fri 24th, and I think the Scottish schools are a week earlier.

Remember Chicago is in the lower redemption band for BA, so only 60k one way in F.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You're going to be overlapping with UK school holidays around that time, so grab any availability when you see it.

English state schools are off from Fri 24th, and I think the Scottish schools are a week earlier.

Remember Chicago is in the lower redemption band for BA, so only 60k one way in F.
That's right. The Scottish schools finish up on Friday 10th October and go back on Tuesday 21st.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Try finding availability with Iberia. Great new J class product and not too bad a lounge in MAD either to start the trip off. Bit of a hassle getting to/from MAD but with a Reward Flight Saver worth the Avios if you can't find any BA availability.

My wife has suggested MIA several times for a trip but I'm not that keen to be honest....it looks an odd place.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by HIDDY
My wife has suggested MIA several times for a trip but I'm not that keen to be honest....it looks an odd place.
One night on South Beach is plenty for me - the rest of Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Coconut Grove etc. are pretty unremarkable. I also don't do Disney so that limits the attraction a lot for me, though I'd like to make it to the NASA facilities in Cape Canaveral some time.

One thing I do enjoy is the National & State Parks around the North end of the Keys and would still like to make it down to Key West some time.

Overall it's possible to find a few days amusement in South Florida, just as it is in New Orleans, the Georgia - Carolina coast etc., but I couldn't imagine spending a week in any of them.

If the OP is into live music then Austin, Nashville, New Orleans or (I think) Memphis would probably be the best bet though there's some to be found in most US cities if you do some research. Combining that with good food elevates New Orleans to the top of the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.