Wiki Posts
Search

OMG Have I lost 127,000 avios?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Dear All,

I had a booking LHR - SIN in August flying in CW for me, Mrs BAAMEXPP and our infant daughter. It was an avios redemption booking using our AMEX 241.

I thought I would try to cancel this online and see if I would get back all my avios, taxes, airport charges etc that I had paid. I also wanted to know if I would get my 241 voucher back. I had always thought that I would get the avios back and my taxes etc less a £25 per person fee as this was a redemption booking.

I filled out the online form and was expecting a page to tell me what monies and avios I would get back but no page was forthcoming. Instead, after I pressed 'next' (or submit or whatever) it said that my booking would be cancelled and I would be emailed once this was complete and any monies that I was owed would be refunded to me. That's it - nothing else!

I called BAEC in panic. The person I spoke to told me that I would not get my avios back but that I would get my taxes back. I queried not getting the avios back and he said that he would check and placed me on hold. After waiting 20 minutes on hold I hung up. I called the number again only to be told that it was busy and that I should call back later. So now I am contacting all the experts who have helped me in the past on here - what should I do????

Will I get my avios back?
Will I get my taxes back?
Will I get my 241 back?
Will there be a £25 per person cancellation charge? (I am blue member - not gold for whom I believe this charge is waived)

I seek reassurance!

Last edited by BAAMEXPP; Jan 2, 2014 at 11:07 am Reason: added question about 241 and cancellation charges
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: BA soon to be Silver

Yes you will.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:03 am

You will get them back
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

As others have stated you will get them back.

17.1. A fee as specified online at ba.com will be charged if flight bookings for Reward travel are cancelled by the Member prior to departure. Provided a cancellation is made more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward itinerary the Avios Points charged for the Reward will be re-credited to the Member's account. Avios will not be refunded for partially flown bookings.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...&link=main_nav
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you - anyone know if I will get my 241 back as well? I'm guessing that the fee I will be charged will be £25 per person.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:10 am

You should get your 2-4-1 back as well

You will get everything (Avios, taxes, 2-4-1, etc.) back apart from a cancellation fee, which is something like £25 per person.
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gally
You will get them back
For people who might check this thread later, important to note that if the flight was within 24 hours you would have lost the lot (obviously not an issue here).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, unless your flight was within 24 hours in which case you will have lost the lot.
As they are flying in August this is not a problem
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gally
As they are flying in August this is not a problem
Indeed - I reformulated immediately when I saw my wording was confusing but you saw it when it was still badly said
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed - I reformulated immediately when I saw my wording was confusing but you saw it when it was still badly said
No problem
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone! Stress levels reduced without the need for alcohol. Woohoo!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
I thought you needed to insert payment card info to cancel bookings - even Avios - so Im not sure how you would do it by mistake.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BAAMEXPP
Many thanks everyone! Stress levels reduced without the need for alcohol. Woohoo!
It still doesn't mean you can't have a cold pint
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by irmster
I thought you needed to insert payment card info to cancel bookings - even Avios - so Im not sure how you would do it by mistake.
IIRC you need to insert the payment card details, then it brings up the refund and cancellation options for that booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.