Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the staffer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
We have heard about passengers being restricted from sitting in some parts of the cabin, or having to move before take-off, due to weight and balance - longitudinal balance of the aircraft.

What happens if all the passengers sit on one side of the aircraft? Does it affect transverse balance of the aircraft?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander
We have heard about passengers being restricted from sitting in some parts of the cabin, or having to move before take-off, due to weight and balance - longitudinal balance of the aircraft.

What happens if all the passengers sit on one side of the aircraft? Does it affect transverse balance of the aircraft?
I was reading a pilot's comment on this exact point a few hours ago on the ask a pilot blog, and his comment is:

Q: We flew from Miami to JFK on an MD-80. The jet is laid out with two seats on one side of the aisle and three on the other. The question came up: does the asymmetric 3/2 configuration cause any kind of imbalance?

No. Even on a smallish plane like the MD-80 series (a derivative of the even older DC-9), the imbalance is less than negligible. In the cabin, longitudinal balance is a lot more important that lateral balance. But even there it tends to be a minor factor — at least on bigger planes, where the weight of passengers makes up a surprisingly small percentage of a plane’s overall weight. As covered in the first chapter of my book, in the case of a fully loaded 747, the weight of 400 passengers plus their luggage accounts for less than 10 percent of the plane’s total weight.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
The passenger distribution can have some other interesting effects however. I was speaking to a BA FO after a flight back from JER recently, and he said that earlier that day, they'd had to use TOGA (full) thrust for takeoff, rather than a flex (reduced thrust) setting, as the performance calc. hadn't liked the layout of passengers in the cabin.

And this was regarding a flight from I think either EDI or GLA, where even with a much heavier load, you wouldn't usually have to use TOGA for departure. Apparently they were at 2000ft AGL by the time they'd reached the end of the runway. Maybe the A319 thought it was a 757?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander

The lateral balance will not be affected to any great deal with even a half load all sat on the same side. At lower speeds in particular there is still a great moment arm to roll the aircraft through given that the ailerons are located towards the out board edges. On some types the out board ailerons get 'locked out' above a certain speed and 'flaperons' or roll spoilers are utilised to reduce bending moments on the wing. Even with those located more inboard, higher dynamic air loads reduce the defection required to induce a roll.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:23 am

Should all the pax sit on one side there would be an effect, but as Sigwx said it is to do with moment arm The centre of "gravity" lies in the centre of the aircraft so the moment arm is low. The ailerons and trim system is more than able to compensate. imbalances in fuel can be more interesting and there are imbalance limitations.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Does anyone know what the small group of lights (usually 3 to 4 of them) that are located in various parts of the cabin - some close to the emergency exits - actually signify..??

My guess is that they're communicating the current status of the aircraft and are placed so that they are visible to the cabin crew from wherever they are...

Wouldn't mind knowing the combination of lights that mean "carry on drinking, everything is fine" and then "we are in deepest, darkest excrement" and my particular favourite "prepare for impact"...

Chris

Last edited by Chris_G; Mar 8, 2015 at 5:57 am Reason: spelling...
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Do you mean the pink, blue and amber lights that are in the ceiling at all door areas?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Do you mean the pink, blue and amber lights that are in the ceiling at all door areas?
Yes, I think thats what I've seen...Chris
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:53 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Yes, I think thats what I've seen...Chris
I think they're just call indicators, passenger/crew/toilet.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The blue light is a passenger call light, the pink one is a crew call and the amber is a toilet call light.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC
On the A321's the ones at the doors 2&3 display what Seat Row has pressed the call bell on the little screen, as told by a crew member
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Should all the pax sit on one side there would be an effect, but as Sigwx said it is to do with moment arm The centre of "gravity" lies in the centre of the aircraft so the moment arm is low. The ailerons and trim system is more than able to compensate. imbalances in fuel can be more interesting and there are imbalance limitations.
Fuel imbalance limitations are what led me to ask the question.

Thanks to both of you for the answer (and thanks to all the other BA crew answering in this thread).
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:16 am

The blue light is a passenger call light, the pink one is a crew call and the amber is a toilet call light.
On the Airbus, blue is a passenger call bell, amber is a toilet call, green is a cabin crew member call, and red is a flight crew call (except on ex-bmi aircraft where red is both cabin and flight crew calls). On Airbus aircraft if you look around the cabin crew seat area you'll also see a two line digital display showing additional information such as which seat has called, if a toilet smoke detector has activated and so on.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that, thankfully I'm not on the Airbus.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Thanks for that, thankfully I'm not on the Airbus.
You sound like the work colleague I spent a day with last Thursday. He works for the other lot (i.e. other aircraft manufacturer) and their slogan is simply: "If it ain't Boeing we ain't going"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.