Wiki Posts
Search

JFK immigration and layover questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
JFK immigration and layover questions

I will be arriving on BA175 Jan 2 and continue via AA on BA4330 to SFO.

Does anyone have experience with immigration as US citizen/legal resident?

Any differences between the lounges available in Terminal 8? Any experience from which gate it usual leaves?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gshumway
Any experience from which gate it usual leaves?
Looks like gate is scheduled to be in the low 40s, although today it left from 18.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The transcons usually leave from the remote 40s gates which is 10 minutes walk from the FL.

No experience of US immigration except as a visitor and always been lucky at JFK.

What class are you travelling? If in F then the FL is the way to go otherwise you may be better at the remote AC by the departure gate.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Dec 31, 2013 at 2:52 pm
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Upgraded to First BA175 and the transcontinental is also in First. FL it shall be.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgraded to First BA175 and the transcontinental is also in First. FL it shall be.
Not sure if upgrades count for lounge entry like this but if the Transcon is ticketed in F then you will have FL access.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Not sure if upgrades count for lounge entry like this but if the Transcon is ticketed in F then you will have FL access.
Funny enough the SFO-JFK was ticketed in Business (I), plane was 2 class, but the return is in First (A).
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny enough the SFO-JFK was ticketed in Business (I), plane was 2 class, but the return is in First (A).
That is odd but normal ticketing practice for BA rather than AA codes. At least you didn't miss any FL at SFO
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
That is odd but normal ticketing practice for BA rather than AA codes. At least you didn't miss any FL at SFO
At SFO it was so early, I didn't much care if there was a lounge or not. Went almost directly to the gate
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:23 am
Original Poster

So tried to check in this morning. Could do it for HAM-LHR, but it couldn't offer me check in for LHR-JFK. This might get interesting tomorrow morning when I get to HAM.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Definitely right choice - in my brief recent experience the lounge by the 40 gates has been something of a zoo. Not somewhere that you can really relax in
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Does anyone have experience with immigration as US citizen/legal resident?
BA T7 US citizen immigration queue usually fairly fast moving line and clears quickly. US citizen booths normally take non-US queue once the US queue clears.

You will likely have to wait for checked luggage to appear
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Such a nice start ... BA not able to print my boarding pass for the AA flight and it will be A10 for BA175.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Unfortunately that'll cost you 70TPs
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Such a nice start ... BA not able to print my boarding pass for the AA flight and it will be A10 for BA175.
There is definitely an issue with IT connectivity between BA and AA at the moment (I suspect some IT work on the US integration is the cause). The inability to print an AA BP happens from time to time. I find that AA always reprint my BP in the FL anyway. Could you perhaps get a mobile BP straight from AA to avoid what can be a check in scrum at T8?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:04 am
Original Poster

So the fun continued. The bus was filled way too full. It was a really nice premium experience </sarcasm>.

When we got to JFK, we had to wait like 20 minutes for an United 757 to vacate a stand. And I think I developed a slight fever on the way over .

At least the boarding pass was waiting for me at express connections. Initial AA wasn't letting me into the Flagship Lounge, which was fixed by producing the BA First boarding pass.

Then the real fun started. AA 85 was to leave 15:30, boarding to start at 15:00. At 15:10 they announced the plane was being taken out of service. The second plane had several tech issues, including after all had boarded, half a seat, which needed to be fixed. Gear up was at 18:15.

I now have hit Silver and whenever the AA flight posts I am going to be 480 points away from Gold, which I shall archive with a flight to Hawaii or the Caribbean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.