Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Out of curiosity and without trawling back through all the numerous pages (maybe I missed it) when will there be an Interim Report published for public viewing? (if that is even the case?)
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Poxball
ACARS I think airlines should ban frying pans, pieces of card, balls of tinfoil and petrol on board before they ban phones .

Petrol stations also ask that engines are turned off which our American friend mentioned.....

The main point you have missed is that aircraft fuel is not highly flammable like petrol and those in the know who posted on here said it needed a very high heat source to ignite it.
Taken from my textbooks:

Aviation fuel = JET A1 = Aviation spirit = a refined form of kerosene (US English) paraffin (British English)

Jet A-1 is a kerosene grade of fuel suitable for most turbine engine aircraft. It is produced to a stringent internationally agreed standard, has a flash point above 38°C (100°F) and a freeze point maximum of -47°C.

Petroleum means - any product of crude petroleum which has a flashpoint below 21°C.

Although 38 C is a bit higher than petrol, the flash point cannot be considered any less dangerous (as anyone who has poured a bit of paraffin on a damp bonfire to help get it going it will realise!)

I am not going to speculate on this unfortunate incident, only to add my sympathies to passengers caught up in delays as a result and to the unfortunate pilots who will have spent their Christmas trying to make sense of what happened.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by PETER01
Out of curiosity and without trawling back through all the numerous pages (maybe I missed it) when will there be an Interim Report published for public viewing? (if that is even the case?)
This is what I'm interested in. I wouldn't imagine it will be long.

Tried to find where it will be posted on the South African aviation authority website but I can't (admittedly after a few Bombays).
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
In the neantime those with firsthand knowledge and or BA representative please tell us whether the Captain or CC by themselves, are authorized to say "no photographs " on board the aircraft and on SA soil or buses? Is it standard procedure ?

Of course the prelim reports and "leaked" version and final report should be of great interest for many here.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:50 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HMPS
In the neantime those with firsthand knowledge and or BA representative please tell us whether the Captain or CC by themselves, are authorized to say "no photographs " on board the aircraft and on SA soil or buses? Is it standard procedure ?

Of course the prelim reports and "leaked" version and final report should be of great interest for many here.
I refer you to the mod's request re this part of the discussion - it would be best if this discussion did not get locked:

Originally Posted by Petrus
They may be legitimate questions. However, it is now getting to the stage of sounding like an old broken record. For those that wish to continue the debate of PED's during incidents/emergencies and what not, kindly do so by way of PM.

Thank you for cooperating.

Petrus,

BAEC forum moderator.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
deleted. (sorry didn't realise the request to discuss via PM)
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I am also interested in hearing more about what happened to the passengers after they got off the plane.

Were they bussed back to the terminal? Did they use a special entrance and were they segregated from other travelers in a special area?

Did they go through standard immigrations and customs procedures or was something special set up?

I understand they ended up staying in hotels overnight and then being put onto other flights.

When they were re-booked, were they all rebooked on BA or also on other airlines? What about connecting flights?

Were they all re-booked into their original class of service?

What kind of compensation do you receive for an event like this?

There are so many interesting things to discuss beyond the PED/photographs issue.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I am also interested in hearing more about what happened to the passengers after they got off the plane.

Were they bussed back to the terminal? Did they use a special entrance and were they segregated from other travelers in a special area?

Did they go through standard immigrations and customs procedures or was something special set up?

I understand they ended up staying in hotels overnight and then being put onto other flights.

When they were re-booked, were they all rebooked on BA or also on other airlines? What about connecting flights?

Were they all re-booked into their original class of service?

What kind of compensation do you receive for an event like this?

There are so many interesting things to discuss beyond the PED/photographs issue.
+1.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
This is what I'm interested in. I wouldn't imagine it will be long.

Tried to find where it will be posted on the South African aviation authority website but I can't (admittedly after a few Bombays).
Indeed but I don't really know how long an Interim Report takes in general terms. I have stayed away from this thread as only the official report will state what happened despite all the speculation on this thread although I suspect many know already. I also can't find any information (and that is without any alcohol ) so we will just have to wait and see.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:30 am

Indeed but I don't really know how long an Interim Report takes in general terms. I have stayed away from this thread as only the official report will state what happened despite all the speculation on this thread although I suspect many know already. I also can't find any information (and that is without any alcohol ) so we will just have to wait and see.
Normally a few weeks I think. They might even be able to conclude it without an interim report, although I guess if the speculation is true there will be various human factors inputs required from psychologists etc before they can finalise it and make recommendations.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Here's the prelim report:

Plane hit building.

Now, let's sit back and wait for the official report and findings, shall we?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by bealine
Taken from my textbooks:

Aviation fuel = JET A1 = Aviation spirit = a refined form of kerosene (US English) paraffin (British English)

Jet A-1 is a kerosene grade of fuel suitable for most turbine engine aircraft. It is produced to a stringent internationally agreed standard, has a flash point above 38°C (100°F) and a freeze point maximum of -47°C.

Petroleum means - any product of crude petroleum which has a flashpoint below 21°C.

Although 38 C is a bit higher than petrol, the flash point cannot be considered any less dangerous (as anyone who has poured a bit of paraffin on a damp bonfire to help get it going it will realise!)

I am not going to speculate on this unfortunate incident, only to add my sympathies to passengers caught up in delays as a result and to the unfortunate pilots who will have spent their Christmas trying to make sense of what happened.
Apologies. I was only only going by the posts on here. For example:

Rapidex post #40
BOH post #139
Karfa post #142
Pteron post #154
Dera posts #165, 206

If indeed it is highly flammable I would be suggesting another course of action....

Now I'm just confused
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by PrimaVista
Here's the prelim report:

Plane hit building.

Now, let's sit back and wait for the official report and findings, shall we?
Yes that's a preliminary report but some people will be wondering when the Interim Report will be published.

I think this will define what the Investigators have collated so far and the potential reasons. I think folks will be curious to read it given the human beings nature to know things especially on forums like this.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Poxball
Apologies. I was only only going by the posts on here. For example:

Rapidex post #40
BOH post #139
Karfa post #142
Pteron post #154
Dera posts #165, 206

If indeed it is highly flammable I would be suggesting another course of action....

Now I'm just confused
Don't be. Jet-A1 is not highly flammable. You have to pressurise it, then vapourise it to get it to ignite. If you throw chip fat on a bonfire it'll burn but I don't think anyone is claiming sunflower oil is an accident waiting to happen.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
Don't be. Jet-A1 is not highly flammable. You have to pressurise it, then vapourise it to get it to ignite. If you throw chip fat on a bonfire it'll burn but I don't think anyone is claiming sunflower oil is an accident waiting to happen.
Thanks Panic Stations

Bealine, don't believe everything you read in text books

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.