Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by mkjr
silly that BA would think they could control photos of the same...sort of like when thai airways tried to black out their fin on a crash...[the act of trying to stop taking photos is and will be construed against them more negatively than the pictures, which, would eventually get out anyway..when will companies learn this...]
The 'Streisand effect' c 2003. You can't hide from the Internet
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
I've heard many people say this, and I always calmly swear by it.

I'll quietly put my phone (fully charged), passport and credit card or two into my pocket, then relax. Keep shoes on, wear a jumper if its cold outside. Always check your exits, and also check the passengers around you - any elderly, obese, young children, idiots, etc. I do believe being aware of the passengers around you is as an important safety factor as knowing where the exit it.
And open & close the belt buckle a few times to get the process in the muscle memory (rather than the usual approach to taking off a car seat belt)
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I stopped donating to large charities some years ago after a conversation with someone about comic relief! Couldn't believe what I was being told.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by dera
Thankfully the people making those decisions know so much more about aviation safety than you do. Even rwy incursions which are much more likely to cause serious accidents do not lead to job termination. They assess the training required, complete the training and back to the saddle.
But those incidents don't cost the employer $300 million (which is what it will cost to replace the aircraft should it be written off). Having a crash on your CV can be severely career limiting even if the pilot did everything right, let alone if it turns out to be their fault. There are not many companies in any industry that will take such a relaxed view as that which you describe, given the size of the consequences.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by JimEddie
And open & close the belt buckle a few times to get the process in the muscle memory (rather than the usual approach to taking off a car seat belt)
I adopted that one after taking up skydiving.

check beneath the seat if the life jacket is actually in its pouch. (not as easy in W-J-F so I just check the pull tab is there)
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:36 pm

Looks like the building suffered worse damage than the plane. Yes, good thing no one appeared to be in the building.

As for the pilots in question, would they be getting the sack for this? The news said that the ATC didn't tell them which runway to turned to. But shouldn't the pilots know which taxiway they could or could not turned to? BA's SOP meant they would have gone over those Jeppesen charts which give a detailed layout of the airport after all...
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:16 pm

In YVR, BA in the last 10 years, has three time done something similar. The most recent was a coule months ago.
Turned onto taxiway DW when they were told to taxi on D for 26L.
Scroll to page 2 to see what I mean.
These all were pilot errors. The JNB incident sounds very similar.

As for repairs. It shouldn't take to long to clean up the wing and ferry it home. I saw a KL744 in LAX last month on a revenue flight missing it's right winglet.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
As for repairs. It shouldn't take to long to clean up the wing and ferry it home. I saw a KL744 in LAX last month on a revenue flight missing it's right winglet.
This is more than a case of a missing winglet though. The entire leading edge from the engine 4 bracket is torn to shreds judging by the picture.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by evanderm
This is more than a case of a missing winglet though. The entire leading edge from the engine 4 bracket is torn to shreds judging by the picture.
They may be able to exhaust their inventory of duct tape to repair the wing and then just delay the work on internal repairs to the BA fleet.
To offset the extra weight of the tape they could reduce the amount of meals loaded for First customers and remove items from amenity kits.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Did EK take out a wing tip a few months back in JNB or was that GRU?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:30 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
As stated by a few up-thread, there is a good chance of structural damage as well therefore very complex inspections and geometry measurements have to be made. If there is any damage to the main wing spar (twisting, buckling, cracking etc) it will undoubtedly be written off.

If you compare with the QF A380 from a few years ago at SIN where the wing suffered structural damage, that took around 18 months IIRC to inspect, assess and repair the damage at a cost of $140M. Probably not a direct comparison as far as damage is concerned but given this BA 744 is 20 years old and >100,000 hours it will probably never fly again...
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
And re. the missing winglet, it is completely normal to operate without one and the Operating Handbook gives the fuel consumption penalties for 1 or 2 missing winglets on them. Same with 330/340 Airbuses.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by evanderm
It is. But it is also harder for us to figure out how much structural damage has been done. The leading edge is a mess, but if that's most of the damage, then the plane might be back in the air relatively soon. If there's significant structural damage, they'll pull the aircraft to another part of the airport and start dismantling it.

The AOG guys will get it all figured out one way or another.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
I wonder if BA's next A380, G-XLED,will be delivered early now? Its currently at Toulouse waiting after its ferry flight from Finkenwerder, Germany. BA's A380's are delivered from Toulouse rather than Finkenwerder unlike other European operators.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by dera
And re. the missing winglet, it is completely normal to operate without one and the Operating Handbook gives the fuel consumption penalties for 1 or 2 missing winglets on them. Same with 330/340 Airbuses.
Out of pure speculation, I'm guessing this bird could still theoretically fly, something similar has been done before

Full article here: http://www.cnac.org/aircraft02.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.