Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident at JNB [BA 744 G-BNLL collides with building]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Had another look at the wing fuel tanks on a 747 and they are shown here

Each wing has two main and one reserve tank. I think it is the reserve tank which starts above engine 4 and extends outwards on the starboard wing. No idea whether there would actually be any fuel in there anyway so there may have been no danger of a fuel leak and fire. Bear in mind that the JNB-LHR distance is around 5600 miles, and that a 747-400 at max take-off weight can do 8350 miles, so this plane would not have had all tanks full of fuel.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Hope no-one was in the building at the time.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
It also shows you how strong an airplane is, slicing through a brick building.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Wonder how much it will cost to repair the wing
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
How long does it take to stop a slowly taxing 747?

Looks like the pilots waited until impact to hit the brakes, no?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

As long as everyone is OK that's the main thing but I suspect the Flight Crew (and possibly ATC?) may have a bit of explaining to do in their initial report
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by JimEddie
Wonder how much it will cost to repair the wing
Or if they would bother in this case if the damage is substantial? I can't remember where G-BNLL was in the retirement list but it may be moved now. G-BNLL was delivered in June 1990 and is the 6th oldest 747 in service at BA.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
G-BNLL is (was?) a 52j with old first.
She was not due for withdrawl and is (was?) to be fitted with the NF product from a 747 that was going to Stand down.

Will be interesting to see how this accident impacts on that decision!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
How long does it take to stop a slowly taxing 747?

Looks like the pilots waited until impact to hit the brakes, no?
You are assuming the brakes were working though aren't you. Perhaps it was a fault with the brakes which meant the pilots couldn't take the left turn on Bravo to start with.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
Isn't G-BNLL an old F bird. With BA starting to retire 747's could this incident result in a trip to the scrap man for this aircraft.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
I think there would be some fuel in the reserve tanks. How much is uncertain. The main spar would afford some protection but even if punctured a fuel fire is not a huge risk.

I am sure the repairs will be quite costly.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
Originally Posted by KARFA
You are assuming the brakes were working though aren't you. Perhaps it was a fault with the brakes which meant the pilots couldn't take the left turn on Bravo to start with.
Can't entirely rule out a brake or nose-wheel steering failure at this point. But the extent of damage to the building seems to suggest there was no attempt to decelerate either by reducing thrust or reversing thrust prior to the collision. So a spatial awareness issue seems more likely.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:24 pm

" Not impressed that first class passengers get off before premium economy during an emergency.”
Says Harriet Tolputt of Oxfam. I wonder if charities pay for more than economy would be the more pressing issue I would have thought Hazza. Then again she might have paid for it herself. Wonder if there's a dedicated escape chute should circumstances arise...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by J-Class
Can't entirely rule out a brake or nose-wheel steering failure at this point. But the extent of damage to the building seems to suggest there was no attempt to decelerate either by reducing thrust or reversing thrust prior to the collision. So a spatial awareness issue seems more likely.
I agree. At this early stage of our official FT BAEC board investigation in to the incident () I guess the point I was trying to make in response to rankourabu is that really we don't know why it happened and therefore we are just speculating - and obviously speculation is not something we would do on here of course

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by gw76
" Not impressed that first class passengers get off before premium economy during an emergency.”
Says Harriet Tolputt of Oxfam. I wonder if charities pay for more than economy would be the more pressing issue I would have thought Hazza. Then again she might have paid for it herself. Wonder if there's a dedicated escape chute should circumstances arise...
No shortage of non-profit staff towards the pointy end. I have met some fairly senior staff from Oxfam and others, quaffing champers in the First Lounge before their CW flights to Asian disaster zones. Maybe BA comps them or does some amazing corporate deal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.